• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lakers Off-Season Thread

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all know that the Swag's days are numbered. It is just a matter of time before he is gonso for good.

Lakers Decide Not To Stretch And Waive Nick Young For 2016-2017 Season - Lakers Nation

I had forgotten about the coaching change from D'Antoni to Byron. I'm as tired of Swaggy P's act as anyone. But I will say this in the Swagsters defense.

You couldn't pick a better offense to fit his talents than a D'Antoni style offense and you couldn't pick a worse offense to fit his talents than whatever the hell that was that Byron was running. So that could go a long way to explaining why his production went into the crapper.

Also, Byron seemed to me like he held grudges, Young got himself into Byron's doghouse early on and Byron never let him out.

Luke is expected to bring a system that is very much like what GSW runs, which is basically D'Antoni's system only with defense. If the Lakers keep/get stuck with him for another season, I could actually see Young performing pretty well and producing more like he did in D'Antoni's system.

Swaggy's issue isn't and never has been talent. His issue has always been that my 5 year old grandson is more mature than he is. The Lakers aren't going to get anything but a bottle of flat orange soda and a half eaten bag of chips for him so...what the hell? Maybe give him a shot with Luke as the coach (assuming Luke is willing) and maybe it ends up being one of those "sometimes the best moves are the one's that you don't make" type deals.

I'm sure the above is a combination of wishful thinking and my admitted soft spot for His Swaggness. But hey, the Lakers have to pay him anyway. Right?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had forgotten about the coaching change from D'Antoni to Byron. I'm as tired of Swaggy P's act as anyone. But I will say this in the Swagsters defense.

You couldn't pick a better offense to fit his talents than a D'Antoni style offense and you couldn't pick a worse offense to fit his talents than whatever the hell that was that Byron was running. So that could go a long way to explaining why his production went into the crapper.

Also, Byron seemed to me like he held grudges, Young got himself into Byron's doghouse early on and Byron never let him out.

Luke is expected to bring a system that is very much like what GSW runs, which is basically D'Antoni's system only with defense. If the Lakers keep/get stuck with him for another season, I could actually see Young performing pretty well and producing more like he did in D'Antoni's system.

Swaggy's issue isn't and never has been talent. His issue has always been that my 5 year old grandson is more mature than he is. The Lakers aren't going to get anything but a bottle of flat orange soda and a half eaten bag of chips for him so...what the hell? Maybe give him a shot with Luke as the coach (assuming Luke is willing) and maybe it ends up being one of those "sometimes the best moves are the one's that you don't make" type deals.

I'm sure the above is a combination of wishful thinking and my admitted soft spot for His Swaggness. But hey, the Lakers have to pay him anyway. Right?

He's already partially corrupted D'Angelo. Get him out of town before his influence takes hold on this year's youngsters. Chemo time for the cancer...

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lakers also signed Thomas Robinson. Not sure where they could find room for him in the depth chart, but I've hoped they would take a look at him for a few years now.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why the Lakers think this is good on any level other than to provide additional veteran leadership during camp. Yet they let Ryan Kelly go to Atlanta. Perhaps it is Metta's defense that Luke thought this would be a help as opposed to re-signing Kelly.

Report: Lakers re-sign Metta World Peace, at least for training camp

I'd much rather have Metta around than Kelly. At least Metta brings a definable skill (defense, even if fading with age and mobility). Kelly was only usable in garbage time, if then.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, shopson, that is the reason I surmised that Like decided to keep Metta at least through camp-to teach defense to young guys who really don't know how. Zubac is already taking on the mantle and this should be an interesting camp.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, shopson, that is the reason I surmised that Like decided to keep Metta at least through camp-to teach defense to young guys who really don't know how. Zubac is already taking on the mantle and this should be an interesting camp.

yeah you need vet leadership when you got a lotta younguns on your squad. Metta's best playing days are WAY behind him, though...

maybe he'll be an assistant coach more than a player...?

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking the same CL67. Don't know if Madsen is being retained by Luke. Perhaps Metta will be added for that role working with team defense and the big men.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking the same CL67. Don't know if Madsen is being retained by Luke. Perhaps Metta will be added for that role working with team defense and the big men.

Mad Dog is still on the staff.

I'm not sure Metta makes the team again, but he has been working with Ingram the last few weeks on defensive skills.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The training camp roster has been filled. Media Day is Monday. The team then heads up to B. Shaw’s alma mater in Santa Barbara to open training camp up. I’m very excited to see the growth of the youth this season. They have been working hard in the weight room and on the court.

I’m also excited to see what Luke and his coaching staff brings to the table. The youth rave about Luke. The positive atmosphere around the team is such a refreshing change. Jesse Mermuys may be the most positive coach I have ever heard. Jud Buechler isn’t far behind either. I believe in more a positive coaching style than negative one, especially with the youth of today. I think that fosters a better learning environment, one where players want to be and want to hold themselves accountable to their teammates and coaching staff.

Training Camp Roster (order based on salary)
Luol Deng
Timofey Mozgov
Jordan Clarkson
Yi Jianlian
Jose Calderon
Lou Williams
Tarik Black

Nick Young
D’Angelo Russell
Brandon Ingram
Julius Randle
Marcelo Huertas
Larry Nance Jr.
Ivica Zubac
Anthony Brown

Zach Auguste
Metta World Peace
Thomas Robinson
Travis Wear
Julian Jacobs

The bolded players make the team. That leaves one available regular season roster spot up for grabs. Although Young is signed through next season, I don’t think it is a certainty that he makes the team. He is going to have to show strong, otherwise I can see him getting cut (absorb this year’s salary and stretch next year’s over three). Wear and Jacobs have no chance to make the team. They are simply training camp bodies that the Lakers want to get a look at for the Defenders. Auguste and Robinson are similar players; high motor undersized PFs. The Lakers already have a logjam in the frontcourt, so I think it is unlikely that either makes the team. Auguste has the better chance.

That leaves Metta. I think he has a very good chance to make the team. He brings strong veteran leadership qualities. The youth seem eager to work with and learn from him. There’s obvious familiarity with Luke, Shaw, and the organization in general. I wasn’t thrilled that he made the team last season over Jabari Brown. This time I think it comes down to Metta and Auguste.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah you need vet leadership when you got a lotta younguns on your squad. Metta's best playing days are WAY behind him, though...

maybe he'll be an assistant coach more than a player...?

That is the first thought I had. Would love to have him on the coaching staff.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IF Nick Young makes the team, I expect that it will be because he showed Luke that he has finally grown the hell up and is performing well. Considering the character level of vets that are being brought in to help mentor the kids, I don't see the Lakers keeping him if he hasn't grown up. They aren't going to want him screwing things up with his antics.

As for MWP, it's a 1 year non-guaranteed contract and he was good with the youngsters last year. I agree that he could be a solid addition to the coaching staff. Maybe these "mentoring contracts" are his way in?

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IF Nick Young makes the team, I expect that it will be because he showed Luke that he has finally grown the hell up and is performing well. Considering the character level of vets that are being brought in to help mentor the kids, I don't see the Lakers keeping him if he hasn't grown up. They aren't going to want him screwing things up with his antics.

As for MWP, it's a 1 year non-guaranteed contract and he was good with the youngsters last year. I agree that he could be a solid addition to the coaching staff. Maybe these "mentoring contracts" are his way in?

big "if" considering his track record, but i guess it COULD happen...

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
big "if" considering his track record, but i guess it COULD happen...

Yeah, that's what's frustrating with him. Talent isn't and never has been his issue, maturity is. If he were half as dedicated to the game as Kobe was, he'd probably be an all-star.

I hope he does finally have things figured out because I do like the guy. But I ain't holding my breath.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that's what's frustrating with him. Talent isn't and never has been his issue, maturity is. If he were half as dedicated to the game as Kobe was, he'd probably be an all-star.

I hope he does finally have things figured out because I do like the guy. But I ain't holding my breath.

Nick has apparently been busting his ass this off-season, lost some weight, and is in great shape. He has been showing up to the practice facility in recent weeks and is working on his relationship with D'Angelo. He's making the effort to keep his job. He'll have to really show strong this training camp to make the team. He's fighting for that last spot. I'd like to see him gone.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bresnahan was reporting last night that Yi is playing really good during scrimmages at the practice facility. The NBA game has kinda of evolved recently to more suit his game. Curious to get a good look at him soon.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nick has apparently been busting his ass this off-season, lost some weight, and is in great shape. He has been showing up to the practice facility in recent weeks and is working on his relationship with D'Angelo. He's making the effort to keep his job. He'll have to really show strong this training camp to make the team. He's fighting for that last spot. I'd like to see him gone.

I wonder if any of this has been motivated by the fact that he got dumped by Iggy-swiggy?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good to hear. I have no problem with the Lakers keeping him if he's finally going to take the game seriously.