• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lakers Agree To Deal With Mozgov

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I'm not gonna stop either, making fun of the Lakers is quality entertainment. So ya got 2 options...

1. deal w/ it
2. ignore it

Actually, this is a team board and trolling isn't allowed on team boards.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, this is a team board and trolling isn't allowed on team boards.
Please ban him - let him post that crap on the general board where he will enjoy the support of his ignorant brothers, err I mean Lakers haters with no life and haven't been laid in 40 years

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please ban him - let him post that crap on the general board where he will enjoy the support of his ignorant brothers, err I mean Lakers haters with no life and haven't been laid in 40 years

You need to quit overreacting to every thing folks say that you don't like. He hasn't done anything ban worthy.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He hasn't done anything ban worthy.
Yeah, I saw it as more of a poke than anything else, but that shit can escalate real quick.

That said, dude was pretty chill after that.

Especially for a C's fan!
Them dudes are just wound too tight! :lol:

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fans need to stop trying to find the positives in every situation. It's ok to admit something is bad and this deal is pretty darn terrible from multiple angles. I'd argue its the worst deal any team has signed in free agency and that's not an overreaction. For one, he does not fit at all with the style Walton has indicated he wants to play. Mozgov is slow, plodding, cannot score beyond 5 feet, cannot pass well for a big man, and is absolutely atrocious on the pick and role defensively. He's somewhat effective as a shot blocker on traditional post ups, but as we've seen with Roy Hibbert (a better player, think about that for a second) the value in a player that can do that is going down dramatically. And this isn't even mentioning he looks to be severely hampered by recent injury. On top of that, Mozgov for his entire career and will continue to be nothing more than replacement level center. He's a back up. That's it. From NY, Den, Cleveland, wherever, he's not all that good. If you're playing him as a starter, you've got problems. It's stupid to commit to a player like that this early in free agency (seriously, a fucking hour into free agency?).

Money figure is weird because of the cap but that aside, the 4 year deal is ridiculous. He's not worth a four year deal. There better be a 2 year team option or some shit or otherwise this is going to go pretty much like the Nick Young deal; halfway in you're begging teams to take him but you can't get a day old ham sandwich for him. But still, let's talk money for a second because it is a bit of reach even with the cap explosion. I saw somewhere that percentage wise, Mozgov would be making like 10 mil per season if this where last year's cap figure (70 mil) and that number sounds reasonable. No. No it doesn't. Because if we were using that old figure, Mozgov would be like a 5 mil player at best. So you're still overpaying him. And its totally unnecessary. Who the fuck was outbidding you for Mozgov at 12:01am on the first day of FA? And as we just saw with Al Jefferson, you can get the same type of production (from a better player) for a cheaper price. That should have been Mozgov's price range. There are other players out there that could have filled the need that we could have gotten likely for a cheaper price. Nene is out there. He's a way more experienced vet than Mozgov and is a better fit for Walton's style of play. Ian Mahinmi, Kris Humphries, two other guys that are better than Mozgov that you could probably get cheaper.

And what's the rush? This seriously looks like Mitch panicked when he couldn't get a meeting with Whiteside, said "oh shit, we aren't getting a center" and just threw an offer at a guy he knew for sure would say yes. That's just dumb. Have patience. You aren't making the playoffs anyway so who cares if you're left picking scraps for a center when all is said and done (Mozgov is a scrap, how ironic). You couldn't field a phone call to Biyombo, who is younger and a much better fit for our projected style of play? Why not see what Durant does with Golden State. If Durant goes to GS, the Warriors will have to dump Andrew Bogut. That's a terrific buy low situation because GS will be willing to take almost anything to unload him since they need the cap space for Durant. So why not see what happens and throw a trade out for Bogut (Nance + 2nd round picks/maybe a future first 3 or 4 years from now)? Bogut would be a fantastic addition. Who better to help Luke teach the kids than a guy that's played for him the last 3 years? What's the worst that could happen? GS says No and you're left signing guys in the bargain bin...guys like Timofey Mozgov.

Lastly, everywhere I've been, the main justification seems to be "well, at least he's a veteran presence in the locker room". That's a reach. He's a 6 year bench player. Yes, a vet, but a bench level talent nonetheless. Let's put this in terms Lakers fans can be familiar with. He's the equivalent of Jordan Hill. Would you be ok if Jordan Hill was the guy designated to mentor the young peeps? And you overpaid for that vet presence to boot. You want vet leadership? Sign Jamal Crawford. He'd be an excellent fit for Russel and Clarkson. Jarrett Jack fits that mold. There's plenty of other guys as well. If vet leadership is the best you got, you're out of ideas.

Let's end this church sermon on a positive though. At least Mitch managed to sign Clarkson to very good deal. I'd argue the best deal of FA so far. Somehow, Clarkson is underpaid. Kid should fire his agent. I know he's restricted but in this market, he could have gotten better than 4 years, 50 mil. That's a good win for the Lakers.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fans need to stop trying to find the positives in every situation. It's ok to admit something is bad and this deal is pretty darn terrible from multiple angles. I'd argue its the worst deal any team has signed in free agency and that's not an overreaction. For one, he does not fit at all with the style Walton has indicated he wants to play. Mozgov is slow, plodding, cannot score beyond 5 feet, cannot pass well for a big man, and is absolutely atrocious on the pick and role defensively. He's somewhat effective as a shot blocker on traditional post ups, but as we've seen with Roy Hibbert (a better player, think about that for a second) the value in a player that can do that is going down dramatically. And this isn't even mentioning he looks to be severely hampered by recent injury. On top of that, Mozgov for his entire career and will continue to be nothing more than replacement level center. He's a back up. That's it. From NY, Den, Cleveland, wherever, he's not all that good. If you're playing him as a starter, you've got problems. It's stupid to commit to a player like that this early in free agency (seriously, a fucking hour into free agency?).

Money figure is weird because of the cap but that aside, the 4 year deal is ridiculous. He's not worth a four year deal. There better be a 2 year team option or some shit or otherwise this is going to go pretty much like the Nick Young deal; halfway in you're begging teams to take him but you can't get a day old ham sandwich for him. But still, let's talk money for a second because it is a bit of reach even with the cap explosion. I saw somewhere that percentage wise, Mozgov would be making like 10 mil per season if this where last year's cap figure (70 mil) and that number sounds reasonable. No. No it doesn't. Because if we were using that old figure, Mozgov would be like a 5 mil player at best. So you're still overpaying him. And its totally unnecessary. Who the fuck was outbidding you for Mozgov at 12:01am on the first day of FA? And as we just saw with Al Jefferson, you can get the same type of production (from a better player) for a cheaper price. That should have been Mozgov's price range. There are other players out there that could have filled the need that we could have gotten likely for a cheaper price. Nene is out there. He's a way more experienced vet than Mozgov and is a better fit for Walton's style of play. Ian Mahinmi, Kris Humphries, two other guys that are better than Mozgov that you could probably get cheaper.

And what's the rush? This seriously looks like Mitch panicked when he couldn't get a meeting with Whiteside, said "oh shit, we aren't getting a center" and just threw an offer at a guy he knew for sure would say yes. That's just dumb. Have patience. You aren't making the playoffs anyway so who cares if you're left picking scraps for a center when all is said and done (Mozgov is a scrap, how ironic). You couldn't field a phone call to Biyombo, who is younger and a much better fit for our projected style of play? Why not see what Durant does with Golden State. If Durant goes to GS, the Warriors will have to dump Andrew Bogut. That's a terrific buy low situation because GS will be willing to take almost anything to unload him since they need the cap space for Durant. So why not see what happens and throw a trade out for Bogut (Nance + 2nd round picks/maybe a future first 3 or 4 years from now)? Bogut would be a fantastic addition. Who better to help Luke teach the kids than a guy that's played for him the last 3 years? What's the worst that could happen? GS says No and you're left signing guys in the bargain bin...guys like Timofey Mozgov.

Lastly, everywhere I've been, the main justification seems to be "well, at least he's a veteran presence in the locker room". That's a reach. He's a 6 year bench player. Yes, a vet, but a bench level talent nonetheless. Let's put this in terms Lakers fans can be familiar with. He's the equivalent of Jordan Hill. Would you be ok if Jordan Hill was the guy designated to mentor the young peeps? And you overpaid for that vet presence to boot. You want vet leadership? Sign Jamal Crawford. He'd be an excellent fit for Russel and Clarkson. Jarrett Jack fits that mold. There's plenty of other guys as well. If vet leadership is the best you got, you're out of ideas.

Let's end this church sermon on a positive though. At least Mitch managed to sign Clarkson to very good deal. I'd argue the best deal of FA so far. Somehow, Clarkson is underpaid. Kid should fire his agent. I know he's restricted but in this market, he could have gotten better than 4 years, 50 mil. That's a good win for the Lakers.
Your right. The media is killing the Lakers and rightly so. After seeing what other centers are getting, they may have got this guy for half what they paid him. I hope they call this deal off. The Lakers are at rock bottom now. This proud organization is being laughed at. I don't like it one bit. I saw where Crawford said he would go to any team. Go get him. He would be a great vet.

Last edited:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the way home from work, I listen to ESPN radio Allnight and they had Chris Broussard stating that the Lakers are no longer at the elite table. Tomodach, you are echoing exactly what Broussard stated (or may be its vice versa). The Lakers are at rock bottom when they (according to Broussard) panicked and threw a boatload of cash at the 6th to 7th best Center with bad knees just to get him off the market. I tend to agree with both you and Broussard.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I saw it as more of a poke than anything else, but that shit can escalate real quick.

That said, dude was pretty chill after that.

Especially for a C's fan!
Them dudes are just wound too tight! :lol:

Wamu? yeah, I can vouch for that cat. silly-ass Celtics fan and all that(guessing an accident of birth), but dude's funny as hell. 'sides, it ain't like the Celtics are gonna bag any more titles in the near future...:heh:

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mozgov signing is a metaphor for the brand erosion that has occurred to the Lakers organization. Sadly, this is the best the Lakers could do: overpay an older back up center with suspect knees.

Most managements would clear out the front office and they would have done it a couple of years ago. The Lakers have not built through the draft since Late seventies/early eighties. There is no one within this organization that has a clue as to how to build via the draft. This team roster building ethos has been through free agency for decades.

Jerry Buss was a smart, clever dude. But it is rare the next generation can adequately carry the torch. Clean house. This strategy in place is delaying any potential return to prominence.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the Knicks gave Noah a 4yr/72M contract and he missed most of last season with shoulder injuries.

So, at least the Lakers aren't the only one smoking something funny:pound:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hibbert better than Mosgov? If that is the case, we not only look completely stupid overpaying for Mosgov but now we are in even deeper shit than when Hibbert was the Center. Someone is smoking the good shit all night long!

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hibbert better than Mosgov? If that is the case, we not only look completely stupid overpaying for Mosgov but now we are in even deeper shit than when Hibbert was the Center. Someone is smoking the good shit all night long!

A. Hibbert is not better than Mozgov.

B. Word is that Luke and Brian Shaw wanted him more than the FO, so they must have a role in mind for him.

I say we see how it plays out on the court before declaring an apocalypse.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lol: at claiming Hibbert is better than Mozgov.
The debate itself is asinine. It's like debating which boy band was better.... who gives a shit, they both suck.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No options on either Mozgov or Deng's deals. Fully guaranteed.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After year 3 trade Mozgov as an expiring contract when Zubac is ready to start and dominate the league.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lol: at claiming Hibbert is better than Mozgov.

He's a better player. He most certainly played at a higher level at his peak. There's no denying that. But even with his diminished skillset, he's still better. Marginally so, but better nonetheless. And the major point being if you're signing a player in that talent range, why overpay for one (like Mozgov) when you could just as easily get some one else cheaper for shorter years (like Hibbert). The Mozgov deal is a bad deal. Period.