• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lakers Agree To Deal With Mozgov

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not too thrilled about Mozgov but I hope to be proven wrong. They don't need him as a scorer but as long as he can be a good defensive presence I'll be happy. In the last few years they've had Hibbert, Jordan Hill, Kaman and Sacre as its not exactly like they've been blessed with bigs after Gasol left.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And of course Ed Davis was in that mix too Shaqdaddy. The Lakers have officially been relegated to third world status by at least ESPN!

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And of course Ed Davis was in that mix too Shaqdaddy. The Lakers have officially been relegated to third world status by at least ESPN!

Ed Davis is actually a pretty decent rotational player. LA probably wouldn't mind a do-over on that one

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ed Davis is actually a pretty decent rotational player. LA probably wouldn't mind a do-over on that one

didn't mind Jordan Hill that much either. at least the guy tried his best to hustle up a lotta boards. had to at least respect that fact that he'd work his ass off every game...

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
didn't mind Jordan Hill that much either. at least the guy tried his best to hustle up a lotta boards. had to at least respect that fact that he'd work his ass off every game...

Yeah, I always liked him. Sort of a "poor man's Joakim Noah."

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After year 3 trade Mozgov as an expiring contract when Zubac is ready to start and dominate the league.

^^^This^^^

The Lakers aren't looking for him to be a long term answer at center. They need him to be the solid vet that he is, help the young guys (especially Zubac) learn to be professionals and produce some on the court with some rim protection and rebounding. Then, in 3 years, there will teams looking to trade picks for expiring contracts. Unload him then for picks and cap space.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^This^^^

The Lakers aren't looking for him to be a long term answer at center. They need him to be the solid vet that he is, help the young guys (especially Zubac) learn to be professionals and produce some on the court with some rim protection and rebounding. Then, in 3 years, there will teams looking to trade picks for expiring contracts. Unload him then for picks and cap space.

I give this a C. Deng a B.

If we add a backup SG and a few players to fill out the roster.....I like us to win 30-33 games (yes, I know that's almost double last season) at the low end and 35-38, maybe 40 max if the kids really play well. I know that sounds high in both areas but I truly think the youngsters will take a huge step forward now that Kobe is retired and not around to jack up 20-25 FGA's.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I give this a C. Deng a B.

If we add a backup SG and a few players to fill out the roster.....I like us to win 30-33 games (yes, I know that's almost double last season) at the low end and 35-38, maybe 40 max if the kids really play well. I know that sounds high in both areas but I truly think the youngsters will take a huge step forward now that Kobe is retired and not around to jack up 20-25 FGA's.

I have the Lakers in the 27-30 win range for next year.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have the Lakers in the 27-30 win range for next year.

That's fair. I just think they will show what they are capable of now that Kobe is gone. I expect Clarkson to be Kobe-lite and put up 20-21ppg, 5rpg, 5apg, and 1.5spg. Russ should be around 15, 6, 6, and 1. Randle 17ppg and 8rpg. Ingram 13ppg and 5rpg.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^This^^^

This is wishful thinking and also is carryover thought process from days gone by. "Expiring deals" don't have much, if any value anymore. Not near as much as you once saw and teams are rarely giving up anything of even modest value to get them. The CBA signed back several years ago brought in shorter contracts so pretty much everyone was on 4 or 5 year deals. Previously, the entire value of acquiring an expiring was to get out of a bad contract 6 and 7 year contract after a player started stinking the joint out after year 2 or the team wanted to go in other direction quickly. They could flip that big money deal for an expiring and watch it come off the books. That doesn't apply much anymore due to shorter contract lengths making it easier to turnover rosters quickly anyway. It also doesn't fit the Mozgov deal for multiple reasons. The first being while he is overpaid for what he is, its not the kind of number that is going to dramatically make a difference in clearing cap space. Teams in the past that traded for expiring were looking for cap numbers that would take big chunks out of their space, the Mozgov number would equate to a couple of drops, not chunks. You're not giving up assets for that. And you're definitely not giving up draft picks for him either. Draft picks are the most valuable asset in roster building now. They have a fixed income number that is not rising with the income influx, making the best bargain available. If Mozgov is traded, its far likelier to be as cap filler in a much larger deal to make the numbers work out. But his deal on its own has little to almost no value on the trade market.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is wishful thinking and also is carryover thought process from days gone by. "Expiring deals" don't have much, if any value anymore. Not near as much as you once saw and teams are rarely giving up anything of even modest value to get them.

Yet, every season, there are teams looking to take on expiring contracts.

trojanfight

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yet, every season, there are teams looking to take on expiring contracts.

I would expect them to take on additional demand again once these big cap jumps from the TV deal are over.

kobesgame

Fucking C**t Lawyer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I definitely think this is way too much money for Mozgov, but based on the cap jump this year AND the state of the Lakers, it's not surprising to see big contracts to get average players to the team. Need those young guys to mature a couple years and then they'll be able to be taken serious by top-level FA's.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I definitely think this is way too much money for Mozgov, but based on the cap jump this year AND the state of the Lakers, it's not surprising to see big contracts to get average players to the team. Need those young guys to mature a couple years and then they'll be able to be taken serious by top-level FA's.

If he can be a mentor for Zubac he may be worth the money after all.