• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kinsler "I hope they go 0-162"

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the few rules we have here is no trolling of team boards. Now Fuck off.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cutthroat is great when dealing with other teams and GM's. For that reason, I love that JD is very shrewd and sneaky. Another thing I love about JD is that he holds his cards very close to the vest. You rarely hear him give away too much to the media. Smart.

However, I've been told stories about JD for many years now, as far back as 2010 when things were all gravy, about how two-faced, conniving, and dishonest he was with his own people. He was never afraid to stab people in the back or undercut people around him. So when Mike Young cried foul to the media about being severely misled by JD, I believed him. And when Kinsler just described JD as a sleazeball whose ego has run amok, yeah, I think that's probably pretty accurate (although "sleazeball" is a bit too much if you ask me).

I've just heard for way too long how JD was pretty two-faced, and all of the accounts from former Rangers seem to support that opinion. But I think JD's cunning and conniving nature does benefit the team in many ways. I just hope that other players don't start believing our former Rangers and not want to come here because of it. Let's hope they take these slams against JD with a grain of salt because most dismissed or traded players and coaches (even my friend) do have an axe to grind. There are always two sides to every story.

Yeah, I was saying something sort of similar on the Spring training board the other night. It really seems like our team chemistry was pretty damaged after Young was traded and whole Nolan JD thing started. Not to mention we haven't been particularly loyal to many of the players that took us to our first dance. I'm sure the guys talk about that sort of stuff and that's not really where you want their head at. It could even make them question their own loyalty to the team or as you said detour some players from coming here.

It's really too bad that Nolan and JD couldn't find a way to work together, because they made an excellent team. JD mean they complemented each other well. JD could handle lots of the shrewd business moves behind closed doors and Nolan could serve as a figurehead that could draw in players and coaches expertise and "celebrity". Also, give the team a good baseball image. In my opinion, JD is a shark and he smelled blood in the water with Nolan. He might have even been getting a little jealous when people were giving Nolan a lot of the credit. So he did what sharks do.

Either way though, It's a good thing to have a shark or cutthroat GM as you pointed out... its sort of what you want. But at the same time, at this point these stories are really not PR for the team and I would also guess the clubhouse. So, I just hope it doesn't effect the psyche of our guys or a potential player that could come this way as a FA.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Those trophies have done a hell of a lot for your franchise lately, haven't they? Funny how NY Giants fans make fun of Cowboys fans for pointing out past Super Bowl titles, yet Yankees fans turn right around and do the same thing with their World Series trophies. New Yorkers also make fun of dumb rednecks who live in Texas, yet there is a huge population of uneducated garbage living in the ghetto projects all over the NY-NJ metro area who can't even spell their own names.

Hypocrisy. Apparently it flows freely in the Hudson River.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I was saying something sort of similar on the Spring training board the other night. It really seems like our team chemistry was pretty damaged after Young was traded and whole Nolan JD thing started. Not to mention we haven't been particularly loyal to many of the players that took us to our first dance. I'm sure the guys talk about that sort of stuff and that's not really where you want their head at. It could even make them question their own loyalty to the team or as you said detour some players from coming here.

It's really too bad that Nolan and JD couldn't find a way to work together, because they made an excellent team. JD mean they complemented each other well. JD could handle lots of the shrewd business moves behind closed doors and Nolan could serve as a figurehead that could draw in players and coaches expertise and "celebrity". Also, give the team a good baseball image. In my opinion, JD is a shark and he smelled blood in the water with Nolan. He might have even been getting a little jealous when people were giving Nolan a lot of the credit. So he did what sharks do.

Either way though, It's a good thing to have a shark or cutthroat GM as you pointed out... its sort of what you want. But at the same time, at this point these stories are really not PR for the team and I would also guess the clubhouse. So, I just hope it doesn't effect the psyche of our guys or a potential player that could come this way as a FA.

I've worried about that in the past, but it was pointed out that a FA will care about money and the chance to win more than anything else.
The only problem with I see with that opinion is obviously, we aren't the only team with money, nor the only team that remains 'competitive'. The best thing JD can do is just not comment any further on Kinsler, which seems to be what he is doing.
In the future however, I wish he would bring someone in (maybe a professional PR guy, it doesn't have to be made public) to give him a little guidance in handling these situations. (I've held and stated that opinion long before this)

I suspect a lot of what Kinsler is saying may be true, I think he's foolish for going that far. It's possible that Kinsler just doesn't give a shit...his call. He's left to deal with consequences, if there are any of much significance.

The first thing is this situation, is a more savy PR guy would have absolutely said, "you need to tell Kinsler right away about the possibility of Detroit"
emails and being on a plane was the excuse? If anyone believes that, I don't know what to say.

Did JD leave Kinsler in the dark on purpose, I certainly hope not and find it hard to believe. What I wouldn't find hard to believe is JD didn't understand the first priority was to tell Kinsler the minute the talks started.
Certainly the rant from Kinsler involved a lot more, but it's a good example of something you should never do as a GM. It doesn't look good to fans or other players.
He's spent his entire career with this organization, he deserves to know as soon as you do, no excuses.

We spend a lot of time talking about how Washington is too stubborn, won't listen to anyone who may know better. ( or rather, many times they do know better)
Sames goes for JD, no GM is beyond mistakes...but there are GM's who aren't developing a reputation for not handling players well.

I have little doubt from their actions, the owners of this team support JD, and I agreed with their decisions.
What they won't support is any on-going problem that has a possibility of hurting their bottom line. (I'm not speaking about this particular situation, just in general) Having said that, I don't think JD is in any danger of losing any position. Nor should he be.

This is the first test of JD & Co having full reign, and in absolute fairness to JD...
when you are first granted that kind of power, it can be hard to keep yourself in check...human nature.

It's one thing to get to the top, it's an entirely different challenge to stay there.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing like a Peeping CSD showing up to flash us. I guess nothing much has been going on for a while in NY during the past summers. Well, other than A-Rod.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wait that's all you got? So much for the thought that Yankee fans are such great, educated and knowledgeable baseball fans.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait that's all you got? So much for the thought that Yankee fans are such great, educated and knowledgeable baseball fans.

A lot of them younger than the age of 40, maybe even 50 are the biggest buffoons of them all

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care about the "I hope they go 0-162" comments. I care that he publicly complained about being asked to become more of a leader. That shows a huge character issue. Now I get the trade even more so. Once he did that, the team knew it was going to become a huge problem going forward. Thanks JD. You cannot have guys that think of themselves before the team when they are being paid as much as Ian was.

Allow me to play devils advocate and show how print interviews can be misleading, typically on purpose and ESPECIALLY in an entertainment buisness.

Fielder makes a lot more money than Kinsler, I hope to god if JD asks him to take on a leadership role, Fielder has the balls to say "I need to focus on being the best hitter I can be"

That's EXACTLY what I want him focusing on, that will benefit the team more than "teaching someone how to compete" and worrying about who has earrings on in the clubhouse.

someone can take that statement as Kinsler only cares about himself, or someone could take the statement, "being the best player I can be" is the best way to help the team win, and being a fierce competitor is the best way to show rookies "how to compete".
In fact players say this ALL the time, "I need to be the best I can be" what Kinsler left out was the end of that phrase "for the team", so let's automatically assume Ian Kinsler didn't care about his team or winning? That's laughable to me.

We needed him to be concerned about his production, not 'developing' (for example) Profar or Martin. We have a manager that built his career on developing players, that's his job.

Profar praised Kinsler more than once, and it certainly seemed sincere to me..so I could speculate (as you are) Kinsler did exactly what he needed to do for Profar.
Some lead better by example, some like MY are better suited to be a more hands-on leader, which is why I keep saying MY would be a good coach, I've never thought of Ian Kinsler as coaching material.

"huge character issues" is a stretch and I don't agree this interview has exposed what you are suggesting, nor do the best players on this team. Unless you or others think that Beltre and Andrus (and Harrison) were close friends with Kinsler (and have stated they will retain that friendship even after this) because they are attracted to his "huge character issues"
We could agree they know Ian Kinsler a lot better than we do.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll handle the CSD situation guys :suds:

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Allow me to play devils advocate and show how print interviews can be misleading, typically on purpose and ESPECIALLY in an entertainment buisness.

Fielder makes a lot more money than Kinsler, I hope to god if JD asks him to take on a leadership role, Fielder has the balls to say "I need to focus on being the best hitter I can be"

That's EXACTLY what I want him focusing on, that will benefit the team more than "teaching someone how to compete" and worrying about who has earrings on in the clubhouse.

someone can take that statement as Kinsler only cares about himself, or someone could take the statement, "being the best player I can be" is the best way to help the team win, and being a fierce competitor is the best way to show rookies "how to compete".
In fact players say this ALL the time, "I need to be the best I can be" what Kinsler left out was the end of that phrase "for the team", so let's automatically assume Ian Kinsler didn't care about his team or winning? That's laughable to me.

We needed him to be concerned about his production, not 'developing' (for example) Profar or Martin. We have a manager that built his career on developing players, that's his job.

Profar praised Kinsler more than once, and it certainly seemed sincere to me..so I could speculate (as you are) Kinsler did exactly what he needed to do for Profar.
Some lead better by example, some like MY are better suited to be a more hands-on leader, which is why I keep saying MY would be a good coach, I've never thought of Ian Kinsler as coaching material.

"huge character issues" is a stretch and I don't agree this interview has exposed what you are suggesting, nor do the best players on this team. Unless you or others think that Beltre and Andrus (and Harrison) were close friends with Kinsler (and have stated they will retain that friendship even after this) because they are attracted to his "huge character issues"

And in the end he really didn't do either the last 2 years, lead or put up good numbers, offensively or defensively

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, I have not jumped all over Kinsler about any of this. But I think the best thing he could have done was not say anything at all.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I have not jumped all over Kinsler about any of this. But I think the best thing he could have done was not say anything at all.

No he shouldn't have, he broke the golden rule. Stick with the stock answers fans complain about, then when they get this wildly off-script, (and woefully ill-advised) remarks, those same fans will pounce.

He shouldn't have said anything, I agree

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There's just no context I can reasonably think of where he didn't come off bad in that interview. He let his bitterness show and that's understandable but complaining about being asked to be more of a leader when the examples he listed were so trivial I want to laugh him in the face. And as JTA said his focusing on being the best player he could be didn't really work, so it comes off as more of an excuse.

As to your point about people continuing to be friends with him, I can think of a few friends that have had character issues. I'm quite sure most of us are imperfect, but people are still our friends and care about is anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
compared to who?

it wasn't the point anyway

Compared to himself

He wasn't a leader... fine. Where did all this extra energy mental and physical go? his numbers the last couple years a far cry of what he's shown he's capable of... so his rationale for not being a leader is kind of bogus

I honestly could care less, but calling him a cancer is one extreme and defending him is another, he created his own problem here, he could've just chose to shut the hell up but he didn't, surprise surprise he's catching flak for it

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Compared to himself

He wasn't a leader... fine. Where did all this extra energy mental and physical go? his numbers the last couple years a far cry of what he's shown he's capable of... so his rationale for not being a leader is kind of bogus

I honestly could care less, but calling him a cancer is one extreme and defending him is another, he created his own problem here, he could've just chose to shut the hell up but he didn't, surprise surprise he's catching flak for it

:agree:

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Compared to himself

Yeah I don't get calling him a cancer at all. That's some over the top hyperbole. Just glad JD nipped any potential issues in the bud. Ian seemed pretty pissed that the WS teams were broken up, and that probably had more to do with his negative comments than anything.