• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Kings vs Sharks

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I also think the loss of martinez and gaborik are really huge. martinez was arguably a top pairing Dman for LA this year. 10 goals, 30+pts, +16. 21+mins/gm is a gigantic hole. Similar to losing a guy like pickles. And of course Gaborik is a sniper of the 1st degree. Glad the sharks are getting LA without those two, and that may well be the difference between the two teams.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Man the speed of that Marleau, Nieto, Karlsson line gave LA fits. Sutter didn't know how to match up against them and it forced him to change his lines. It took two spectacular saves by quick to keep them off the board. Overall a solid game by all. It's going to be a tough match up for LA if they keep trying to have Kopitar shadow Thornton because the other two on that line are not good defensively and Pavelski and Hertl should eat them up. Long way to go still but a very good start for the Sharks.
Was it just me but besides the Carter line the Kings looked really slow and to a certain degree tired? As for Marleau that's a match up nightmare for anyone in the playoffs with him being the 3rd line center, he Neito are way to much speed for the Kings to handle, their offensive chances were so so I thought, best one they had was broke up by scuderi.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I also think the loss of martinez and gaborik are really huge. martinez was arguably a top pairing Dman for LA this year. 10 goals, 30+pts, +16. 21+mins/gm is a gigantic hole. Similar to losing a guy like pickles. And of course Gaborik is a sniper of the 1st degree. Glad the sharks are getting LA without those two, and that may well be the difference between the two teams.
Martinez is a huge loss for the Kings, because Jamie Mcbain is like plugging in Doug Murray. And it moves Scuderi up, all kinds of not good. Gaborik honestly is the Kings Marleau, with exception Marleau isn't a complete liability If he's not scoring like Gaborok

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats on taking the opener and stealing Home Ice...

Onward to game 2!

Hoping my Kings get the split.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Was it just me but besides the Carter line the Kings looked really slow and to a certain degree tired? As for Marleau that's a match up nightmare for anyone in the playoffs with him being the 3rd line center, he Neito are way to much speed for the Kings to handle, their offensive chances were so so I thought, best one they had was broke up by scuderi.

Definitely great speed on that line, but I was not impressed with them overall. Nieto is too easily bounced off the puck, and patty turns it over alot too. The player who stood out for me on that line was actually karlsson, who I thought looked respectable. That said, I didnt see a ton of chances for them?

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Definitely great speed on that line, but I was not impressed with them overall. Nieto is too easily bounced off the puck, and patty turns it over alot too. The player who stood out for me on that line was actually karlsson, who I thought looked respectable. That said, I didnt see a ton of chances for them?
Me neither, I saw maybe two and the best chance they had was Marleau coming down the slot but Scuderi broke up the pass

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Me neither, I saw maybe two and the best chance they had was Marleau coming down the slot but Scuderi broke up the pass

Marleau busting down the wing in the first to set up Karlsson was an amazing play. Quick had to make an incredible toe save on that play. His desperation diving save on Markeau in the second after that line kept relentless pressure in the offensive zone. The play Scuderi had to make. The crossbar Nieto hit after Marleau destroyed an LA forward on the boards then won the board battle from two other defenders. That line was very very good last night and dominated the possession battles. That line used its speed and won the little battles all night. They finished an amazing 82% of their shifts with offensive puck control. The next best was the Thornton line at 56%.

madcap9999

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Sharks are looking gritty and poised so far these 2 PO games. Of course, the last time they looked good they blew a 3 game lead so not expecting much yet lol.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah until they close them out I'm
Not buying it. But the Kings look slow and tired

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patty definitely had a very nice defensive game in Game 2. And overall I think they played an excellent defensive game in Game 2. Still a little worried they kind of go into prevent mode a bit late in both games. Game 1 they were very lucky to get out of that one more so than Game 2. Taffoli had a post in that one in the 3rd. Scramble mode at the end too. Anyways, a bounce here or there the series could be 1-1 or down 0-2.

P.S. Sure nice to see a Kings team without Justin Williams there.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
patty had a very strong defensive game indeed. I was also very impressed by Tierney's play. He was really tenacious on the forecheck and created several turnovers. Overall, I thought they played a solid game. I didnt see the 3rd as prevent D period, just that htey took 4 penalties in the last 28 minutes of the game, most suspect, and that tires a team out and is tough. After they gave up he 2-1 goal, they gave up very little else.

The Big pavelski is the F-ing man. Captain leading the troops. Jumbo and patty have zero goals, and just two assists between them. neither has been a major factor offensively. And yet, the sharks are up 2-0. The depth guys are playing very well, and they are winning without the big two.

Two years ago was a very different team: martin, Ward, Jones (+reimer), Donskoi, karlsson, Tierney, Hertl (healthy), Polak, Dillon, Burns on D, and Spaling are all new. Jumbo and patty arent as needed as before, and that bodes better this go around.

that said, they suck at home, so they really gotta come out monday with fire.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Also, I love Deboer's rolling of the lines. They are fresh in the 3rd period, and i think that's partly why they have been such a good 3rd period team all season. No Dman played 25 minutes. No forward played 19, and no players played less than 10. patty played just 15:33 which is exactly right for him, keeps him fresh, and let's him go all out with speed every shift. Jumbo also under 17 mins. He isn't overly relying on his big names the way mclellan did. As a result, they arent tiring and they are able to sustain a forecheck from all lines for 60 minutes. over a physically challenging series, and hopefully long playoff run, those reduced minutes will really help keep guys in shape and physically strong. There arent many duncan keith's or doughty's out there who can eat 30 min/gm every night. And the sharks have several greybeards 34+, so Deboer seems to be doing a very fine job managing them.

The other guy who I thought deserved the 3rd star of the game was paul martin. He is a defensive genious. Subtle, simple, and super smart and steady. Best acquisition of the year by far, in my opinion.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Thornton's ice time was down because of all the PK time the Sharks had to kill. He would have been pushing 20 otherwise. I do like the fact that the coaching staff isn't using Thornton, Marleau, or Pavelski as regulars on the PK. They will just have Pavelski or Marleau step in if its one of the regular PKers in the box. PK minutes can be really taxing and limiting those three could go a long way.

madcap9999

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The lack of scoring by those dual carcinogens will come back to haunt SJ sooner or later. Been burned too many times to expect otherwise.

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is Nieto in the lineup? Yeah as some have said he skates fast, but so did Torrey Mitchell. Then he takes a stupid penalty in the neutral zone. Sounds like Couture called him out a bit in the post game when he mentioned neutral zone 3rd period penalties. He gets pushed around too. Nieto or Spaling, one should be sitting. Where is Zubrus?

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well if Nashville takes out Anaheim and the Sharks handle the Kings it will be their best chance to make the stanely cup finals. In think the blues are going to beat chicago

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Well if Nashville takes out Anaheim and the Sharks handle the Kings it will be their best chance to make the stanely cup finals. In think the blues are going to beat chicago

Yeah, the path is really opening up and it reminds me of 2006 when edmonton and calgary the 6 and 8 seecds made it. nashville is a good matchup for the sharks, I think. and if chicago is removed, then I think the sharks have a solid shot vs either dallas or Stl, tough as that would be.

This first round is really shaping up nicely thus far. Long way to go, and nashville is no joke, but this could be a big surprise year. Maybe you need to fall far before bouncing back stronger than ever.

Im going tonight, so I really hope to see a good one. I worry about the sharks' play at home, and you know LA will throw everything at 'em. A W tonight will really help overcome a lot of the 'cant win at sap' issues, and would *almost* cement the series.

Im starting to get optimistic though, which is never a good thing :-)

p.s.: Id like to start seeing the old two get going though. They will need patty and jumbo to produce to go far, so a nice patty trick today would be lovely!

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah, the path is really opening up and it reminds me of 2006 when edmonton and calgary the 6 and 8 seecds made it. nashville is a good matchup for the sharks, I think. and if chicago is removed, then I think the sharks have a solid shot vs either dallas or Stl, tough as that would be.

This first round is really shaping up nicely thus far. Long way to go, and nashville is no joke, but this could be a big surprise year. Maybe you need to fall far before bouncing back stronger than ever.

Im going tonight, so I really hope to see a good one. I worry about the sharks' play at home, and you know LA will throw everything at 'em. A W tonight will really help overcome a lot of the 'cant win at sap' issues, and would *almost* cement the series.

Im starting to get optimistic though, which is never a good thing :-)

p.s.: Id like to start seeing the old two get going though. They will need patty and jumbo to produce to go far, so a nice patty trick today would be lovely!
Honestly if Thornton wasn't playing well Pavelski wouldn't being have as much success, Kings have to pick their poison with that line right now, take away Thornton they are pretty much saying let Pavelski and Hertl beat us.

I still say Marleau has been better then Lecavillier, it just hasn't shown up in points but he's also saddled with Neito as one of his wingers. He'll score at some point probably a critical goal for the team.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

The Blues are the one team in the West that I worry about. The Sharks don't match up well against them. I think Dallas winning the Central gives the Sharks the best chance to get to the Cup Finals.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well this game was bound to happen, however I like Polak and Thornton going after Brown