• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

JT Brown

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flyers interested in Minnesota Duluth forward J.T. Brown: A quick scouting report - Broad Street Hockey

For Paul Holmgren and the Philadelphia Flyers, the college free agency market has been used as both a crutch and a serious advantage. You don't want to have to rely on college free agents to stock your farm system, but at the same time, having the knowledge and exploiting that market whenever possible is a big advantage.

They've already dipped into the pool once since the college free agency season opened March 1, signing goaltender Cal Heeter at the end of Ohio State's season. Holmgren will continue to look, too, and his next move could involve Minnesota Duluth forward J.T. Brown.

Brown attended Flyers development camp over the summer, so its possible they could have an inside track on him, but he also attended Minnesota's camp as well. Via today's Daily News:

Sources say the Flyers are in the hunt for University of Minnesota-Duluth sophomore forward J.T. Brown, one of the premier scorers on the market this year. It's looking more and more like Brown will turn pro after this season.

That's right. He's just a sophomore, but he could certainly be NHL-ready sooner than later. I chatted briefly today with Bruce Ciskie, an SBNation.com contributor who just so happens to be the play-by-play voice of the UMD Bulldogs. I asked Bruce for a quick scouting report on Brown, to which he simply replied "KEEP YOUR HANDS OFF HIM."

"I don't have a scout's eye, but I don't think it's a stretch to say he'll be in the NHL next October," Ciskie said. "Fast as hell. Great shot. Good kid. Propensity for rising to the occasion."

That last part shines through pretty strongly. As a freshman a year ago, when the Bulldogs won the National Championship, Brown was named the Most Outstanding Player of the Frozen Four. As a freshman. The Minneapolis Star-Tribune called him "easily the most impressive player on the ice" in the title game. He had an assist in that 3-2 overtime win over Michigan and both a goal and an assist in the National Semifinal against Notre Dame.

UMD is the No. 2 team in the nation, so regardless of their fate in this weekend's WCHA Final Five, they'll be heading back to the NCAA tournament. Whenever the Bulldogs' season ends, though, Brown will be up for grabs, and the Flyers are sure to be at the top of the list of suitors.

If signed, he'd likely finish out the season with the Phantoms on an amateur tryout contract, assuming his college season ends before the AHL regular season. That's putting the cart before the horse, but it's something to think about over the next few weeks.

Cool beans, I like it. 50 contracts worries me, but that can be fixed.

J.T. Brown hockey statistics and profile at hockeydb.com

Last 4 years between the Waterloo Black Hawks and Minnesota he has 174 games played, 87 goals and 109 assists (196 points). 1.12 points per game, not too shabby. (Read did not manage a PPG in his four years at Bemidji)

So yeah, no huge news or anything but I like to know that Homer is going for a top college FA and we still have our 1st

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flyers interested in Minnesota Duluth forward J.T. Brown: A quick scouting report - Broad Street Hockey

Cool beans, I like it. 50 contracts worries me, but that can be fixed.

J.T. Brown hockey statistics and profile at hockeydb.com

Last 4 years between the Waterloo Black Hawks and Minnesota he has 174 games played, 87 goals and 109 assists (196 points). 1.12 points per game, not too shabby. (Read did not manage a PPG in his four years at Bemidji)

So yeah, no huge news or anything but I like to know that Homer is going for a top college FA and we still have our 1st

mm i like that a lot.. sounds a lot like read except put up bigger numbers offensively

i really dont see the flyers having the contract issue this year.. they have something like 15 contracts freeing up this season.. i'm sure a couple will be resigned, and i'm sure they'll bring in a couple new guys (ie Heeter, Brown)..

i hope they get this kid, the flyers seem to have the inside track on undrafted guys coming out of college.. i wonder if having multiple guys signed in the same fashion, plus a few guys that were drafted and still played in college (Carle/JvR) is helping them

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gotta think his bigger lean is towards the wild though.. minnesota kid through and through.. plus i'm sure his ability to play in the NHL right away is closer with the wild than with the flyers

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is a worry, will be interesting to see what Homer does. If we manage to get Brown that is probably it for Jagr. Move someone up with G on the 1st to replace Jagr, and Brown comes in to replace that person's spot

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Frequent Flyers: Minnesota-Duluth star, Flyers share mutual interest

When Western Michigan University was knocked out of ice hockey's version of the NCAA Sweet 16 on Saturday night, a race to sign Broncos defenseman Dan DeKeyser likely began at the buzzer.

DeKeyser, a mobile 6-3 sophomore, is the top undrafted free-agent recruit this season. He is expected to generate offers from all 30 teams, including the Flyers. Tonight's opponent, Tampa Bay, is also believed to be interested.

"It's not unfathomable to think Danny DeKeyser could get an offer from every team," Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren said recently. "He could be the complete package."

The Flyers have had a ton of success snaring some of the top undrafted free agents in the past, but the Red Wings are believed to have the inside track on DeKeyser. They had seven scouts watch him at different points this season, including general manager Ken Holland. DeKeyser, 22, grew up outside of Detroit and attended the Red Wings' prospect camp last year.

But with the University of Minnesota-Duluth's loss in the Northeast Regional final on Sunday night, an equally intriguing race suddenly opened for another coveted sophomore in forward J.T. Brown. And the Flyers appear to be a finalist to land him.

Brown wrapped up his sophomore season tied for 11th in the nation in scoring after helping the Bulldogs to a national title last year as a freshman. He attended the Flyers' prospect camp last summer on his own dime.

Holmgren said he thought Brown might be staying in school, but a source close to Brown told the Daily News that there is a "better chance he is out than in [school] next year" and that the Flyers are on the short list.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He signed with Tampa...

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe he wasn't mentally ready to try his luck in big ol Philadelphia and needed a smaller market/crowd to step out in?

SuperFlyer13

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just wondering if Testwuide will ever get a shot here, I think he would be a good solid player, Maybe next year..

ProppRules

Flyers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He picked TB b/c they were willing to put him in the lineup for the final 5 games of this season. That gives him immediate NHL experience, and it burns one year of his two year entry contract.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He picked TB b/c they were willing to put him in the lineup for the final 5 games of this season. That gives him immediate NHL experience, and it burns one year of his two year entry contract.

Cheaters.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didnt want to post this while we were in the hunt for him, but now...

College Hockey News: J.T. Brown Leaves UMD After 2 Seasons

Brown was arrested last June on charges of trying to flee police, and giving police a false name. The incident occurred at a local bar, just two weeks before his 21st birthday, as he was being cited for using a false identification. Officers told Brown he would just get a fine, but then Brown tried to flee the scene before being subdued by officers. March 19, Brown pleaded guilty to two misdemeanors. He has not yet been sentenced.

I mean, it could be worse. But still. Maybe we missed out on a huge cancer or something. :)

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh. He was underage and tried his (probably drunk) best to get out of it. He was wrong.

Considering what I was doing at that age half way around the world.....I think it's funny as hell.

I mean, he's a dick for choosing TB, but still. :)

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my roommate was watching the caps/bolts game last night.. sounded like pierre was doing some slurping of Brown after he made a few 'dominating' plays

shame we missed out

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have signed F Matt Mangene and D Matt Konan