• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

JR <3 Marleau!

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NHL.com - Roenick: Stars soar, while Sharks, Coyotes hit skids - World According to JR

And then there is San Jose. If you're a Sharks player, coach, executive or fan, are you absolutely freaking out right now?

You should be, but more on that in the next section of this blog.

The fact is this race is going to come down to the wire, and I'm looking for the superstars to step up. We'll see which ones are going to earn their keep.

I'm a fan of San Jose. I love the market and the organization. But I'm scared to death for the Sharks.

I honestly don't know what is wrong there. I don't understand how they're struggling at home, how they're struggling to win hockey games. Why those guys, at such a crucial point in the season, are struggling to put the puck in the net.

I'm really nervous for this team. I'm nervous for Doug Wilson.

Again at the beginning of the season they were supposed to be a Stanley Cup contender, but they're struggling to hold on to the eighth spot. They have it by the games-played tiebreaker right now.

If those top two lines don't score goals, they're not going to win games. Other teams realize that they just have to shut one line down and if they do they can win. More than that, Antti Niemi has been average of late.

I talked about looking for the superstars to step up, so in San Jose I'm looking at Joe Thornton and Joe Pavelski. You're not going to get any consistency out of Patrick Marleau because he can't find it in him to get angry, mad, ticked off enough to help lead this team out of the doldrums.

Right now I'd be scared. I'd be mad. I'd be huffing like a raging bull right now. I'm not sure that Patrick Marleau can do that. I don't know if he has it in him to bring this team into the playoffs. I'd like to see him get angry, show some passion.

Hey everyone, it's Marleau's fault yet again! LOL... :L

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well what he said about Marleau is true and he didn't say it is all his fault. He's an ice cold on the surface player. Jumbo is too happy go lucky on the surface. That is two of the biggest problems with this team.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JR is such a pussy. He has no balls to call out Thornton as well. Give me a fucking break, I'm ok with what he had to say about Marleau, but call out Joe too.

JR is a fucking idiot. Loved how he played on the ice, but he exposes himself as such a moron every time he opens his mouth.

EDIT: I do appreciate that he is trying to motivate the Sharks though. At least he still cares about the organization.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The interesting thing is JR still projects Marleau as the true leader of the team. What does that say about Thornton and the rest of the leadership group?

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The interesting thing is JR still projects Marleau as the true leader of the team. What does that say about Thornton and the rest of the leadership group?

That it sucks. The star core of this team lacks the killer instinct. This is the most unmotivated bunch we have probably witnessed in teal. Deciding to start to play after your back is against the wall won't win you many championships if any at all.

abaskin18

Oilman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well what he said about Marleau is true and he didn't say it is all his fault. He's an ice cold on the surface player. Jumbo is too happy go lucky on the surface. That is two of the biggest problems with this team.

Maybe, but I'm always going to take that kind of analysis with a grain of salt since similar labels were stuck to guys like Sakic & Stevie Y before they won one. They say some guys don't have what it takes to win the big one until they do and quiet, timid guys magically transform into stoic, lead by example guys.

Further analysis of San Jose's top guys play on the ice could lead to the conclusion that they can't win when it counts, but the type of "on the surface" analysis you referenced is, by definition, superficial.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe, but I'm always going to take that kind of analysis with a grain of salt since similar labels were stuck to guys like Sakic & Stevie Y before they won one. They say some guys don't have what it takes to win the big one until they do and quiet, timid guys magically transform into stoic, lead by example guys.

Further analysis of San Jose's top guys play on the ice could lead to the conclusion that they can't win when it counts, but that type of "on the surface" analysis is, by definition, superficial.

A long time ago I pointed out a complete roster breakdown of why Yzerman didn't win one early on. He didn't have the supporting cast. Once Sakic got one he won as well. Our guys continue to lose with what should be enough around them. And it often comes down to their competitive drive which is easily noticed during the play of a game. Their compete level rarely reaches peak and when it does it is often too late. There is just so many other things you can bring to the game if your shot isn't working for you. I rarely see these guys throwing the body, firing up teammates, or playing all out. They are soft jokes.

abaskin18

Oilman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A long time ago I pointed out a complete roster breakdown of why Yzerman didn't win one early on. He didn't have the supporting cast. Once Sakic got one he won as well. Our guys continue to lose with what should be enough around them. And it often comes down to their competitive drive which is easily noticed during the play of a game. Their compete level rarely reaches peak and when it does it is often too late. There is just so many other things you can bring to the game if your shot isn't working for you. I rarely see these guys throwing the body, firing up teammates, or playing all out. They are soft jokes.

The bold is the more thoughtful analysis I mentioned. I think that is much more telling then a perception of a guys attitude on the surface. That's all I'm saying.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bold is the more thoughtful analysis I mentioned. I think that is much more telling then a perception of a guys attitude on the surface. That's all I'm saying.

Sorry I should have clarified that I was talking about their on ice attitude. My bad. Obviously it is even worse when they are talking to the media lol.

abaskin18

Oilman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry I should have clarified that I was talking about their on ice attitude. My bad. Obviously it is even worse when they are talking to the media lol.

All good, I'm pickin up what you're puttin down. I've never been one to care about what's said to the media and when people try to make conclusions based on that type of stuff they sound like Colin Cowherd (and that's very bad, imo).

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is where I gain most of my frustration as well. This is why Amerks and I never saw eye to eye with Thornton. I doubt we'll ever see these two firing up teammates on the bench (neither did Yzerman or Sakic really), but they can do the other things.

What I'd like to see out of each of the guys:

Thornton:
  • Backcheck like a madman EVERY game. I like that he's been incorporating this element more into his game, but I don't see it night in and night out.
  • Throw the body instead on the forecheck instead of peeling off. Make the defensemen nervous. I hate it when a d-man chips the puck off the boards and he's within 3 feet, but doesn't finish his check. When he gets mad or frustrated, he starts doing this, but never for long.

Marleau

• Lay down and block shots. You're on the PK, you have good play reading/instinct skills and you're fast as all hell. Go all out to block a shot and put your body on the ice. Believe me, like passing/assists in basketball, this type of play is contagious. I don't want to see the hand in front of the crotch stay on your feet blocks unless you know for a fact that you have a great chance of going on a breakaway the other way.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That it sucks. The star core of this team lacks the killer instinct. This is the most unmotivated bunch we have probably witnessed in teal. Deciding to start to play after your back is against the wall won't win you many championships if any at all.

I wouldn't bunch the entire team together as unmotivated. The only ones who look unmotivated are Thornton, Marleau, Pavelski, and Clowe. Possibly Niemi as well. Everyone else on the team looks to be giving 110% and are doing things outside of their normal comfort level.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
JR is a young mike milbury, hes a fucking idiot. JR have another drink

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Do they have emoticons blowin' each other there?

Lol, I don't think so. Other than the "Business of Hockey" and the "Prospects" threads on the general board I don't post or read there at all.

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love it if Marleau would take this attack and use it as motivation, and carry this team to a Cup.

:pray2: hope!

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol, I don't think so. Other than the "Business of Hockey" and the "Prospects" threads on the general board I don't post or read there at all.

So is it safe to say you don't find enjoyment in participating in the ignorant flame wars on the trade & free agents board? :p

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So is it safe to say you don't find enjoyment in participating in the ignorant flame wars on the trade & free agents board? :p

I do pop in there on the rare occasion for a good laugh. I don't post though.