• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

jose dariel abreu

Bearsfan81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't Alexei basically join the team immediately in 2008 with no prior MLB experience? I believe he was close to Abreu's age at the time as well.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't Alexei basically join the team immediately in 2008 with no prior MLB experience? I believe he was close to Abreu's age at the time as well.

I remember him starting opening day in center field. He struggled for awhile

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all in all i don't think this was a wise move. however ........... since it's already happened wouldn't it be nice to take a lead from boston and suggest a worst to first scenario is not out of the question?

solid pitching!

ace reliever reed has his best season!

all 3 cubans have outstanding years!

phegley .275/22/78!

gillaspie is voted to the all star game!

garcia .311/27/113!

dunn .196/19/56 ..... but no one cares!

anyone who thinks i'm just negative all the time save this! :peace:

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all in all i don't think this was a wise move. however ........... since it's already happened wouldn't it be nice to take a lead from boston and suggest a worst to first scenario is not out of the question?

solid pitching!

phegley .275/22/78!

garcia .311/27/113!

That's the spirit! And why such a downer line for Dunn? Why not pencil him in to repeat this year's line? That's still crappy but less than the one you posted....and it is a contract year for him.

I think we both know the Sox won't compete next year, but if they handle it right they can be pretty good in 2015-2016. I know you don't think they know how to handle it right but I'm more optimistic.

They have the same odds as the Phillies in 2014 (40-1) according to the bookies...tied for 18th out of 30.

2014 WS Odds

From the MLB board:

Los Angeles Dodgers 5-1
Detroit Tigers 8-1
Washington Nationals 9-1
St. Louis Cardinals 10-1
Boston Red Sox 12-1
Cincinnati Reds 15-1
Los Angeles Angels 15-1
Oakland Athletics 15-1
New York Yankees 16-1
Texas Rangers 16-1
Atlanta Braves 17-1
San Francisco Giants 22-1
Pittsburgh Pirates 25-1
Baltimore Orioles 28-1
Cleveland Indians 28-1
Tampa Bay Rays 29-1
Kansas City Royals 35-1
Chicago White Sox 40-1
Philadelphia Phillies 40-1
Arizona Diamondbacks 45-1
Toronto Blue Jays 45-1
Chicago Cubs 60-1
Seattle Mariners 65-1
Colorado Rockies 70-1
San Diego Padres 70-1
Milwaukee Brewers 75-1
New York Mets 115-1
Miami Marlins 125-1
Minnesota Twins 125-1
Houston Astros 250-1

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
God… shutup…

Nothing you say is profound. You search for the negative in everything. You're predictable and boring.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
of course i don't get any sox news radio-wise where i am but this is just crazy talk, unless it's just wishful thinking on the part of radio jocks. surely the team wouldn't make this claim! i don't care who you are ... no one can be counted on like that having never seen a major or minor league pitch, not to mention putting the kid in that kind of pressure position. i know the sox management is not very baseball savy but surely they would know better than this ................ wouldnt they?

You kind of suck at this, idseer

Just sayin'

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You kind of suck at this, idseer

Just sayin'

really a stupid comment coming from you ms. if you intend on making this kind of comment whenever it appears i MIGHT be wrong you risk being slammed for every prediction you make that's wrong... and there have been plenty. i say it's still early to make a judgement on abreu but i'll add that i am glad he's doing what he's doing and happy to be wrong about this big gamble the sox have taken.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

solid pitching!

phegley .275/22/78!

garcia .311/27/113!

after the first month:

solid pitching! .... not so much, relief is horrible and starters aren't nearly as good as i'd hoped.

ace reliever reed has his best season! .... reed's gone and his stand in is having a horrible season!

all 3 cubans have outstanding years! .... would anyone (other than the hypocrites) have guessed this would actually be happening? ramirez, almost 100 points above his career avg; viciedo, 100 points above his career avg.; and abreu, having a remarkable start to his career with his power numbers and at least a passable ba.

phegley .275/22/78! .... nowhere to be seen! but holy cow .. look at flowers! 170 points above career avg.

gillaspie is voted to the all star game! .... hitting over .300 but with no power at all and with his injuries this is not likely.

garcia .311/27/113! .... i imagine it's killing him to not be able to play. his replacement, danks, sucks as expected.

dunn .196/19/56 ..... but no one cares! .... doing better than this but i think his hot streak is at its end and i expect he'll drop like a stone.

the hitting is better than anyone expected and pitching is worse than anyone expected. even with the hitting, tho, we struggle to maintain .500. if sale is gone longer than expected we'll still be a last place team unless some serious changes are made .... not the kind of changes that brought us the worst of the majors castoffs/projects/never-weres in pitching.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree is legit!

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree is legit!

Yeah, when a guy comes in the league and hits 10 HRs (rookie record) and 31 RBIs in April with a line of .262/.330/.631 and you still aren't sure if he can hit...you are just looking for reasons to be down on the Sox and their GM.

Sox took a risk on this guy, and it paid off. Sometimes they do. And to turn around a shitty team you need some luck to pay off unless you have unlimited funds.

The pitching, especially the pen, is still a mess, and thus they will only be a 77-80 win team which is a HUGE step up from last year and exactly the kind of improvement you want to see in a rebuilding year. Next year with Dunn's money and other $ they will restock the pen (easiest part to do) and hopefully have 3-4 reliable starters. With that lineup (remember Garcia comes back too) that's a team in the hunt for the playoffs. Next year.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, when a guy comes in the league and hits 10 HRs (rookie record) and 31 RBIs in April with a line of .262/.330/.631 and you still aren't sure if he can hit...you are just looking for reasons to be down on the Sox and their GM.

yeah cause it's impossible for a player who even becomes rookie of the year to turn out not so great, right?

do you remember ron kittle? r.o.y.? 35 hr's 100 rbi's? know how many times he knocked in over 75 runs? ONCE! know how many times he hit over 26 home runs? TWICE!

this kid is signed for 6 years at $68 million dollars. you better HOPE he's not another adam dunn!

i don't need to "look for reasons" when it comes to bad transactions. they're all over the place. the record books are littered with ordinary players who have incredible streaks. it's easy to jump on a band wagon while a player is hot and put down anyone else who says .... not so fast. and i guarantee you'll disappear completely with regards to abrue if he turns out to be rather less than ordinary.

i do hope he is for real ... but 1 month out of a career does not cement it for me. only fools rush in where angels fear to tread.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah cause it's impossible for a player who even becomes rookie of the year to turn out not so great, right?

do you remember ron kittle? r.o.y.? 35 hr's 100 rbi's? know how many times he knocked in over 75 runs? ONCE! know how many times he hit over 26 home runs? TWICE!

this kid is signed for 6 years at $68 million dollars. you better HOPE he's not another adam dunn!

i don't need to "look for reasons" when it comes to bad transactions. they're all over the place. the record books are littered with ordinary players who have incredible streaks. it's easy to jump on a band wagon while a player is hot and put down anyone else who says .... not so fast. and i guarantee you'll disappear completely with regards to abrue if he turns out to be rather less than ordinary.

i do hope he is for real ... but 1 month out of a career does not cement it for me. only fools rush in where angels fear to tread.

Normally I am on your side but you always look for something to temper expectations. This year will likely be rough for the team so why try to squash the few things that would give this season a silver lining?

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Of course, he could flame out. And no matter this hot start, pitchers will adjust and he will have to adjust back, and he will go through slumps, and all of that.

The difference between you and most fans is you seem literally incapable of having positive projections or thoughts about the team. And that's kind of understandable, goes with being a Sox fan. But it will bring blowback from more traditional fans. Most of us don't understand how one can 'root for' a team and at the same time not get excited when exciting things happen, like Abreu. What is the point of being a fan if you can't enjoy success while it's happening? Yeah, it might fade. But it also may not. And the more numbers he puts up the more confident you can be that he is legit.

Obviously the pace he's on now won't last all year, he's not hitting 60 HRs and 186 RBIs. But it's pretty plain the guy has hitting talent. You've been around the game, have you watched him hit? Don't you see legitimacy? All the good/great players in the league started out as rookies...they don't all flame out.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Abreu has only 115 PA under his belt. He's proven he can hit the ball pretty far so far, but that's it.

Worth noting Abreu's BABIP is only at .246 right now. So there's room for improvement in the BA department.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The difference between you and most fans is you seem literally incapable of having positive projections or thoughts about the team.

and in this statement you sum up your complete ignorance.

for you to assume i have no positive projections about the sox is just wrong! you (and other 'fans') like to come in here and gush about things that are working. I know what works and like what works but there is NO reason to come in here and discuss what works! you and others have ALWAYS been wrong about what i think about this team. the only time i 'gush' over the sox is when i talk to fans of other teams (mainly here in pennsylvania it's pirates and phillies and a few yankees as well). i'm sure it would make you proud.

i come in here to talk about what's wrong and perhaps what can be done to fix things. it's BORING to exclaim to other sox fans how great we are. why can't you understand this simple fact? i have explained it before but no one seems to listen. in my mind this makes all of those people less than intelligent.
now it's not 100% ... but i do sometimes (not often) credit players performances. you all just tend to ignore those times.

you can dislike my posts, you can ignore me (well, apparently YOU can't), you can claim you have the higher ground ..... i don't give a SHIT! i will continue to post what interests me and hope that on occasion i find a like mind on here who sees what i see. i know i'm not always right (as if any of you higher ground fans are). that doesn't bother me. my record is pretty good imo.

my last words to YOU on abreu ..... i would NOT have given him the kind of money they gave him. the odds of him being worth it are low, and we've seen the sox track record on huge contracts. i saw plenty of footage of him and saw a slow bat. even when he was hitting them out. i did not see that as translating well to the big leagues. i am pleased as punch he's doing what he's doing. i will also not be surprised if it doesn't continue and i won't be satisfied the sox did the right thing until he has 2 REALLY good years under his belt. i've seen too may one year wonders and so have you tho you probably flush them out of your mind with all your gushy positiveness. i DO gain confidence in him as things go along but $68 million is a LOT of money. we've seen what it can do when applied to players such as dunn, peavy, danks etc. so excuse me for not claiming all the info is in on abreu.

or don't excuse me. the shit you dish out actually rolls right off my back.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Normally I am on your side but you always look for something to temper expectations. This year will likely be rough for the team so why try to squash the few things that would give this season a silver lining?

i should have no bearing at all on your expectations. see the posting i just made to msg.