• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

jose dariel abreu

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it would appear the sox are close to signing this 26 year old hulking 1st baseman (or DH .... apparently he can not do anything else) and people are suggesting him getting as much as $70M!

i'm thinking ..... HELL NO!

not going to go into his numbers here (google the guy) but i fail to see how someone like this who MAY hit 40 dingers but also hit around .220, k 200+ times and is very snail-like will help the sox. major league pitching is NOT chinese pitching or even cuban pitching. he's not a real athlete imo. he's another dunn and that's all we'd need is to saddle ourselves JUST as we're about to kick dunn's ass out!

unless he comes in MUCH more reasonable that what the articles i've read suggest i do NOT want this guy.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pending a physical it sounds like a done deal. he looked great in the wbc but i dont know enough to have an opinion on him. 6 yrs 68 mil

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, didn't see the Sox dishing out that type of money for him, hopefully it pays off.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, didn't see the Sox dishing out that type of money for him, hopefully it pays off.

nobody did. you know why? CAUSE IT"S STUPID! hard to believe after all the bad contracts they've dished out that kw could talk that complete numbskull reinsdork into yet another HIGH risk .. hopeful reward based on very little. you know who DOESN'T do this kind of shit? st. louis! ever wonder why stl is almost always in the hunt. cause they're SMART. there were very few teams dumb enough to be interested in this guy, who appears to be another non-athlete along the lines of dunn. very big, and can't do anything but hit the ball far. his 'cuban' batting average is not impressive. you know who also averaged over .300 in the minors (superior to cuban baseball)? that's right .... adam fucking dunn! the sox already HAD this guy ... in dayan viciedo. how's he turned out? :gaah:

unfortunately it appears the sox are really into giving out huge contracts to players who have proven NOTHING! danks ... $65 .... a LOSING PITCHER (54-56) at the time of the deal, and went on to gives us 7-18 since. viciedo, an unknown who has earned about 10 million and given us less that 300 innings per year. gavin floyd ... $16.5 million for a .500 pitcher who for that 16.5 gave us a 12-15 record. then there's just the old used-to-be's like peavy who for $48 million gave us 36-29 and 107 innings a year and of course dunn who in 3 years for $56M has so far given us a .197 avg. even picking up rios ($35M for a so-so .269 avg) was a stupid gamble tho it didn't burn us quite as badly. we also know that ramirez, an unknown, has badly disappointed everyone.

i'd hoped that at last after last year and looking back to what those bad contracts did to the team they finally learned something. that they'd realized they had to rebuild for a couple years, get some really good draft picks and forget the notion they should try to compete every single year.
THEY DIDN'T LEARN A THING! they suck at drafting players ... they suck at developing the players they DO get ... and they suck at dealing for players! that pretty much covers all the bases. and it's not going to get any better. any good players that do fall into their laps will not be nearly enough to offset their utter stupidity at running at major league baseball club.

SELL THIS TEAM!

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But what I don't get is, are you guys rebuilding or trying to compete? Why bring in a guy like Abreu if you don't plan on contending? I know it was said they plan to go hard after Granderson as well, but I find it tough for them to compete in the Central with just adding Abreu and Granderson.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But what I don't get is, are you guys rebuilding or trying to compete? Why bring in a guy like Abreu if you don't plan on contending? I know it was said they plan to go hard after Granderson as well, but I find it tough for them to compete in the Central with just adding Abreu and Granderson.

simple answer .... they're just stupid. they really need help at 2nd, 3rd, ss, catcher (big time), and 2 outfield positions .... and what do the go for? another fucking lumbering ox dh!

they're just STUPID!

SELL THIS TEAM!

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
simple answer .... they're just stupid. they really need help at 2nd, 3rd, ss, catcher (big time), and 2 outfield positions .... and what do the go for? another fucking lumbering ox dh!

they're just STUPID!

SELL THIS TEAM!

Well I know that feeling, Fred and Jeff Wilpon have been destroying the Mets for years now, wish they would just fucking sell also.

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nobody did. you know why? CAUSE IT"S STUPID! hard to believe after all the bad contracts they've dished out that kw could talk that complete numbskull reinsdork into yet another HIGH risk .. hopeful reward based on very little. you know who DOESN'T do this kind of shit? st. louis! ever wonder why stl is almost always in the hunt. cause they're SMART. there were very few teams dumb enough to be interested in this guy, who appears to be another non-athlete along the lines of dunn. very big, and can't do anything but hit the ball far. his 'cuban' batting average is not impressive. you know who also averaged over .300 in the minors (superior to cuban baseball)? that's right .... adam fucking dunn! the sox already HAD this guy ... in dayan viciedo. how's he turned out? :gaah:

unfortunately it appears the sox are really into giving out huge contracts to players who have proven NOTHING! danks ... $65 .... a LOSING PITCHER (54-56) at the time of the deal, and went on to gives us 7-18 since. viciedo, an unknown who has earned about 10 million and given us less that 300 innings per year. gavin floyd ... $16.5 million for a .500 pitcher who for that 16.5 gave us a 12-15 record. then there's just the old used-to-be's like peavy who for $48 million gave us 36-29 and 107 innings a year and of course dunn who in 3 years for $56M has so far given us a .197 avg. even picking up rios ($35M for a so-so .269 avg) was a stupid gamble tho it didn't burn us quite as badly. we also know that ramirez, an unknown, has badly disappointed everyone.

i'd hoped that at last after last year and looking back to what those bad contracts did to the team they finally learned something. that they'd realized they had to rebuild for a couple years, get some really good draft picks and forget the notion they should try to compete every single year.
THEY DIDN'T LEARN A THING! they suck at drafting players ... they suck at developing the players they DO get ... and they suck at dealing for players! that pretty much covers all the bases. and it's not going to get any better. any good players that do fall into their laps will not be nearly enough to offset their utter stupidity at running at major league baseball club.

SELL THIS TEAM!

I thought Rick Hahn was the GM now??? :laugh3:

It really makes ya wonder how much KW still meddles in player deals and if Hahn is really a bonafide GM or just a marionette for KW to blame future bad deals on??? Whatever the case may be, I'm very skeptical of this deal b/c of all the 'real unknowns' and another high risk deal our Sox got themselves into. We can only hope & pray that they finally may have gotten one right ....

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The glass-half-full way to look at it is this:

They are still rebuilding for 2015-16, this is a young Cuban guy who will need at least a year to figure things out, they aren't all going to be Puig right away. By then Dunn will be gone so getting a younger one, who might be better, to DH isn't that bad. The per year numbers on him if he works out will be a bargain.

The Sox would have needed to sign some FAs to complement their youthful pitching when they were ready to contend (2015-6) so they just got one early. It shows they are willing to spend, which they will need to do, just smarter.

And finally, it's a gamble for sure, but you almost HAVE TO gamble unless you literally have unlimited funds (Dodgers, used to be Yankees). The A's, who spend exponentially less than the Sox, took a gamble on Cespedes making him their highest paid hitter by far, and it worked out great. Cuban sluggers are the new 'undervalued Moneyball' guys, although with this signing that inefficiency looks to be over. Let's see what Billy Beane finds next and copy that too! The Sox took their gamble, and they will probably have to take a couple more. Let's hope they work out.

Overall I'm surprised by this signing but I see what they are trying to do, and I'm glad they aren't afraid to spend some $. There are fewer and fewer established FAs that you can have for any reasonable money...look how poorly almost EVERY big bat signing has gone (Pujols, Hamilton, Crawford, Texeira) and how much medium-good guys like Hunter Pence get, and you see why the Sox had to try something unconventional.

idseer, try to be a fan and not just assume the worst. No one saw 2005 coming.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
most other teams dropped out because they are not sure he could catch up to ML fastballs.

I thought the pedro cerranos were only worried about the curve ball.

Hate this whole bidding process. If international players want to play major league baseball they should all need to go thru the international draft.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 teams bids were between 63 and 68 mil

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now, I'm very curious as to what level of farm system he'll be initially assigned to and/or if they're gonna give him a straight shot at Spring Training in AZ????

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The glass-half-full way to look at it is this:

They are still rebuilding for 2015-16, this is a young Cuban guy who will need at least a year to figure things out, they aren't all going to be Puig right away. By then Dunn will be gone so getting a younger one, who might be better, to DH isn't that bad. The per year numbers on him if he works out will be a bargain.

The Sox would have needed to sign some FAs to complement their youthful pitching when they were ready to contend (2015-6) so they just got one early. It shows they are willing to spend, which they will need to do, just smarter.

And finally, it's a gamble for sure, but you almost HAVE TO gamble unless you literally have unlimited funds (Dodgers, used to be Yankees). The A's, who spend exponentially less than the Sox, took a gamble on Cespedes making him their highest paid hitter by far, and it worked out great. Cuban sluggers are the new 'undervalued Moneyball' guys, although with this signing that inefficiency looks to be over. Let's see what Billy Beane finds next and copy that too! The Sox took their gamble, and they will probably have to take a couple more. Let's hope they work out.

Overall I'm surprised by this signing but I see what they are trying to do, and I'm glad they aren't afraid to spend some $. There are fewer and fewer established FAs that you can have for any reasonable money...look how poorly almost EVERY big bat signing has gone (Pujols, Hamilton, Crawford, Texeira) and how much medium-good guys like Hunter Pence get, and you see why the Sox had to try something unconventional.

idseer, try to be a fan and not just assume the worst. No one saw 2005 coming.

he's NOT young. he'll be 27 in january with no experience in mlb. meaning he SHOULD go thru at least ONE year in the minors (viciedo went thru 2) meaning he'll be at least 28 before his rookie season! more likely 29 .... when he should be in his prime and possibly worth that kind of money if the best scenario happens to take place. and this also assumes he's actually 26 at the moment. i think if been shown many times that the ages of players like him are inaccurate.

cespedes made MUCH less ... barely HALF of what the sox are gambling ... and he's a 5 tool athlete! don't even try to compare these players. if this guy signed a cespedes deal i would feel quite so raped.

the sox have always spent money i know. that isn't the problem. look at how they spent it. you can't just keep on doing the same stupid things over and over. now is NOT the time for them to 'gamble' as you say. no is the time for them to be smart and hire people who know how to develop what they have.

and one more thing ... don't give me that 'try to be a fan' bullshit. unless your idea of a fan is to swallow everything they do and sit back sipping your cool-aid and wearing your rosy glasses. maybe YOU haven't been paying attention, but the sox have made about 5 bad decisions to every 1 good one. this one is like throwing a dart blindfolded and just hoping for the best. i would imagine that in a few years you'll forget all about how you thought this was a good idea and wondering how they could do something so stupid.

2005 happens once every 100 years. i can't believe you're still pulling out that dumb reference.

Last edited by a moderator:

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he's NOT young. he'll be 27 in january with no experience in mlb. meaning he SHOULD go thru at least ONE year in the minors (viciedo went thru 2) meaning he'll be at least 28 before his rookie season! more likely 29 .... when he should be in his prime and possibly worth that kind of money if the best scenario happens to take place. and this also assumes he's actually 26 at the moment. i think if been shown many times that the ages of players like him are inaccurate.

cespedes made MUCH less ... barely HALF of what the sox are gambling ... and he's a 5 tool athlete! don't even try to compare these players. if this guy signed a cespedes deal i would feel quite so raped.

the sox have always spent money i know. that isn't the problem. look at how they spent it. you can't just keep on doing the same stupid things over and over. now is NOT the time for them to 'gamble' as you say. no is the time for them to be smart and hire people who know how to develop what they have.

and one more thing ... don't give me that 'try to be a fan' bullshit. unless your idea of a fan is to swallow everything they do and sit back sipping your cool-aid and wearing your rosy glasses. maybe YOU haven't been paying attention, but the sox have made about 5 bad decisions to every 1 good one. this one is like throwing a dart blindfolded and just hoping for the best. i would imagine that in a few years you'll forget all about how you thought this was a good idea and wondering how they could do something so stupid.

2005 happens once every 100 years. i can't believe you're still pulling out that dumb reference.

Actually my idea of being a fan is to enjoy following the team, being happy when they win and a little sad (but only a little) when they lose. It definitely doesn't encompass feeling like I've been violated sexually when they make a free agent signing I don't like.

So I won't bother you anymore. It's a free country so you're welcome to keep at it with the angry flame-spewing overly-serious fandom. How's that workin' out for ya?

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually my idea of being a fan is to enjoy following the team, being happy when they win and a little sad (but only a little) when they lose. It definitely doesn't encompass feeling like I've been violated sexually when they make a free agent signing I don't like.

So I won't bother you anymore. It's a free country so you're welcome to keep at it with the angry flame-spewing overly-serious fandom. How's that workin' out for ya?

works great. but stop acting like you don't know what being a fan and living and dying with your team means. you want to be a casual fan ... fine. then maybe you should stop annoying fans who take it more seriously than you do ... that just makes you a sadist.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
everything ive heard on the radio says that he will be the opening day starting 1st baseman

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
everything ive heard on the radio says that he will be the opening day starting 1st baseman

of course i don't get any sox news radio-wise where i am but this is just crazy talk, unless it's just wishful thinking on the part of radio jocks. surely the team wouldn't make this claim! i don't care who you are ... no one can be counted on like that having never seen a major or minor league pitch, not to mention putting the kid in that kind of pressure position. i know the sox management is not very baseball savy but surely they would know better than this ................ wouldnt they?