• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: jets vs skins

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is redskins future QB Brett Rypien

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh by the way I am an idiot . The game is on ESPN

Nah. In any case - ANY announcers will be better than those Pats homers from last week. The way they talked you would have thought that the Pats defense was the 2nd coming of the 85 Bears when in reality they will probably be pretty awful.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, without Guice, the offense remains basically the same, correct? We replaced the previous QB with the same version, RB group remains the same, replaced Pryor with Richardson. We did not upgrade at LG like many of us assumed we would. The offense has remained relatively the same imo. Guice would have added another dimension we currently do not have in our offense at the position.

As for the defense, it also remains relatively the same with exception of Payne who will start at NG in place of Hood. The secondary replaced Breeland with Dunbar (may look to sign DRC) and at slot, apparently Moreau will get his shot there in place of Fuller. Nicholson & DJ remain. So while the DL looks to have improved (jury still out) the secondary took a bit of a hit losing Fuller but Dunbar for Breeland a wash imo.

"If" the Skins stay healthy it could be status quo (9-7 or 8-8) but if health concerns rear their ugly head again this season (already has) then Jay may have a hard time talking his way out of this one.

First of all I would not consider Richardson instead of Pryor an even swap. Richardson remains unproven on this team, but - assuming healthy - he just has to be better than Pryor. After the Chiefs game in early Oct Pryor did nothing. Also - having health at OL will be a huge upgrade - it cannot be overstated. There is also at least the possibility of a healthy Reed which would be huge (that one is TBD).

As for the defense - the addition of Payne & some other picks (as well as a healthy Allen) can also not be overstated. I will take an effective front 7 over a strong defensive backfield any day of the week. If the front 7 stays healthy there should also be a huge difference in run defense which should result in some more Ws.

Of course health is a big issue & is something you just can't predict. Should be fun to watch how this unfolds.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all I would not consider Richardson instead of Pryor an even swap. Richardson remains unproven on this team, but - assuming healthy - he just has to be better than Pryor. After the Chiefs game in early Oct Pryor did nothing. Also - having health at OL will be a huge upgrade - it cannot be overstated. There is also at least the possibility of a healthy Reed which would be huge (that one is TBD).

As for the defense - the addition of Payne & some other picks (as well as a healthy Allen) can also not be overstated. I will take an effective front 7 over a strong defensive backfield any day of the week. If the front 7 stays healthy there should also be a huge difference in run defense which should result in some more Ws.

Of course health is a big issue & is something you just can't predict. Should be fun to watch how this unfolds.

The Giants won two Super Bowls because of their front 7 and especially their Dline. As good as Brady is he is not good under pressure. That is true of just about all QBs.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it looks like smith wont play tonight . i think its a coaching error and any criticism that comes if we lose week one will be justified

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was ONLY one reason to make that trade, Colt McCoy was the only QB on the roster.

Let me say this one more time, I would not have made that trade at that cost, signing Smith as a free agent or attempting to get him for less than what was given, OK. My option was to go after a free agent QB then draft another with short learning curve. (a year or two) The organization thought differently, believing that Smith was at minimum comparable to the one lost. (Kirk). I agree, it was a lateral move. Now we are in wait-n-see mode.

that would have been my option too sign a FREE agent and keep our pick and guy

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Five Redskins position battles to watch in Week 2 of preseason

i posted this here because it talks about our young guys rather then start another thread . apparently i have a poster who doesnt believe you can discuss our offense going into a preseason game and feels better if i just started a new thread on the matter

anyway enough of my irritation , these guys are worth talking about going into this game

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it looks like smith wont play tonight . i think its a coaching error and any criticism that comes if we lose week one will be justified

I'm in agreement here. It seems each of the last 3 seasons or so, we come out flat, un-energized and the general lack of urgency that comes with a 16 week season as each game MATTERS. This seems to stem from light camp practices, too many days off for vets and a general lack of preparing rookies and back ups in case starters do get hurt. Also, limited reps in preseason games for vets leading to game 1-2 rust. I know, there is a fine line between preparation for the season and being unreasonable amount preseason playing time for vets in an effort to avoid injury. But, is it not the responsibility and job of head coach to balance that area and do whats best for all involved? JG seems to cater towards keeping his vets happy (players coach) however, it seems to have cost him a few games in doing so. Just my :2cents:

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that would have been my option too sign a FREE agent and keep our pick and guy

Problem is I didn’t see a free agent worth getting. I’d rather had drafted one if anything or traded for smith

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree SoCal with your response regarding Richardson but felt Pryor would provide much of the same and that never happened. A healthy OLine cannot be overstated however, it's been unhealthy for several years so I'm not holding hope that injuries will not happen this year and, our LG situation remains our weakest link up front. Guice injury really is a set back for the team. Even the run of which he was injured, other than Thompson, NO other RB on the team can make that run. (Burst through hole, spin move and stiff arm) As for Reed, love the guys athleticism, potential and Pro Bowl ability, but his availability may or may not improve.

So, a lot of "if's" and "assumptions" in order for the offense to make another step forward but I guess we can all cross our fingers, right?

As for the defense, it does looked improved upfront. Just as we think this, Ironman goes down last week in a meaningless preseason game but appears to be ok. (wont play this week) I think we can all agree Dunbar, Moreau and Nicholson remain wild cards at the moment and we need better play from Norman. I'm not a huge DJ fan, (need more plays and less talking) from the defensive leader than what we saw last year. "If" it all comes together the defense could be pretty good barring injuries.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem is I didn’t see a free agent worth getting. I’d rather had drafted one if anything or traded for smith

here is how i see it . if we are looking at a status quo season (which we shouldnt ) then bradford , bridgewater , keenum could give us that .

my beef isnt with smith . its with the trade

now talking to me about lateral transfers and only going 7-9 wins with smith after people on this board talked him up is un acceptable

i buy he will get us 10 wins and he could be a pro bowler if he plays like last season , which i expect he will

but saying that means i am trolling him according to one poster. i never will never understand how believing and expecting him to do well is trolling but who knows ?

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I’m hearing he probably will play, but not long

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m hearing he probably will play, but not long

yeah i saw tandler say he would go a series . hopefully that is true

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you up for the game shark ?

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sign he has made team to me

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well my wife got into a fender bender , nothing bad but she got jolted pretty good . i gave her some meds but i may need to take her to the ER

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but right now its football time