• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

It's Timmy-Cap day (Strangers @ Giants) GDT 061012

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice video. As complicated as they made the pitching motion out to be, I'm surprised Timmy can ever find the strike-zone. I'd love for them to do another video to explain where Timmy has lost 5mph on his fastball. That would go a long way to selling their product too.

Did anyone else think that those stills of pitchers with 90+ degree arm rotations looked a bit scary? I did find it interesting that Timmy has one of the smaller arm rotations for a pro - perhaps part of the reason Chris Lincecum has always claimed Timmy is less prone to arm injury.

I hope Chris can find a reason Timmy is less prone to getting guys out consistently this year.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I hope Chris can find a reason Timmy is less prone to getting guys out consistently this year.

Timmy needs a personal catcher. DFA Burriss, bring up Whiteside, let Chez3 get some AB at 1B. At the very least we'd be able to once again blame everything on Whiteside.

P.S. I'm only semi-joking. for the most part, I think Posey has been slow to adjust to Timmy's inability to locate the fastball. With it's reduced velocity, and what I think is a fairly straight trajectory (have not checked the data on that), Timmy's fastball is now a "keep hitters honest" pitch, rather than one that sets up the off-speed pitches. Although after watching the Texas game on replay, I thought Posey did a good job of calling first pitch off-speed stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice video. As complicated as they made the pitching motion out to be, I'm surprised Timmy can ever find the strike-zone. I'd love for them to do another video to explain where Timmy has lost 5mph on his fastball. That would go a long way to selling their product too.

Did anyone else think that those stills of pitchers with 90+ degree arm rotations looked a bit scary? I did find it interesting that Timmy has one of the smaller arm rotations for a pro - perhaps part of the reason Chris Lincecum has always claimed Timmy is less prone to arm injury.

With his current motion (again, assuming the one pitch shown in this thread is a good example), it is his lower back that I am worried about, not his shoulder or elbow...

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
With his current motion (again, assuming the one pitch shown in this thread is a good example), it is his lower back that I am worried about, not his shoulder or elbow...

Yes, that's what we always thought would fail him first. BTW, the way the video highlighted Timmy's hip to should rotation differential, reminded me very much of what generates power in a golf swing.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I would like to believe that we are on to something with these videos I have to also believe that the team management and coaches themselves would have gone through all this stuff about 1,000,000 times by now. I'd have to assume that they would follow up on every possible lead that could help them undestand what's happening. I would think that they have examined his mechanics over and over and than over again. Any pitcher can be prone to a 'bad spell' but this seems to be well beyond just a 'bad spell'. Being hurt and adjusting to compensate is a plausible scenario except that I think it would be something that would be picked up in video footage. Unless they are themselves aware of some sort of an injury and letting him try and work through it. Not sure I'm too keen on that approach.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
As much as I would like to believe that we are on to something with these videos I have to also believe that the team management and coaches themselves would have gone through all this stuff about 1,000,000 times by now. I'd have to assume that they would follow up on every possible lead that could help them undestand what's happening. I would think that they have examined his mechanics over and over and than over again. Any pitcher can be prone to a 'bad spell' but this seems to be well beyond just a 'bad spell'. Being hurt and adjusting to compensate is a plausible scenario except that I think it would be something that would be picked up in video footage. Unless they are themselves aware of some sort of an injury and letting him try and work through it. Not sure I'm too keen on that approach.

Were not going to solve Timmy, that's a given. That said, I'm not a believer in baseball coaching as being a totally efficient market either. Not even close, IMO.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Were not going to solve Timmy, that's a given. That said, I'm not a believer in baseball coaching as being a totally efficient market either. Not even close, IMO.

I agree 100% .... I was actually alluding to the fact that there may be much more that is known about what is happening than the average fan is aware of. I think there have been many cases where a pitcher has been hurt .... allowed to continue pitching (for business oriented reasons and very poor judgement) and the results have been less than good ..... Rob Nen comes to mind

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I agree 100% .... I was actually alluding to the fact that there may be much more that is known about what is happening than the average fan is aware of. I think there have been many cases where a pitcher has been hurt .... allowed to continue pitching (for business oriented reasons and very poor judgement) and the results have been less than good ..... Rob Nen comes to mind

Sure, but I don't timmy is hurt. Stay with me here: the most likely injury for timmy to have that accounts for the drop-off in velocity and lack of control is an elbow injury. But if he had that, he wouldn't be throwing as many breaking balls as he does.

And, Robb Nen not withstanding, I think If the Giants knew he was hurt they'd shut him down. I don't see any baseball or financial reason to continue to have timmy pitch if they know he's hurt. He's the worst starting pitcher in baseball, and the fan base has already jumped off the timmy train, so there's no marketing/sales advantage in keeping him around and pitching horribly. Occam's Razor would suggest that the Giants really believe Timmy is a start away from finding some kind of effectiveness with the tools he currently has.

Last edited by a moderator: