• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

It's Starting Again.......

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
National sports media is starting the "Peyton can't win in the cold " again. I was up at 2:00 Am with leg cramps and decided to watch a little TV. There was a commentary about Peyton Manning and his lifetime record in temperatures under 40 degrees.

They stated that his performances in the cold have never come close to his performances in warm mild weather or his record indoors in Indianapolis. One commentator say he's probably going to be villified for his comment but he stated that Manning's records are pretty much meaningless, much like Dan Marino. His basis for the comment was that Manning put up 438 yards passing this past Sunday but couldn't find the end zone when it counted. Hence the achievements don't have much meaning when your team loses critical games.

They talked about what may be in store if the Broncos have to come back to Foxboro on January 27th to play in the AFC Championship game or if it should be sub freezing in Denver if the Patriots have to play there. If the temp is below 40 degrees, snowing or raining or windy they all concluded the it's not a home field advantage for the Broncos because Peyton won't be in huis comfort zone.

On the other side, they were amazed at Brady's record in the worst possible conditions. Rain, snow, wind and temps below zero. Brady a product of Southern California seem to dig down and relish the adversity and drive the Patriots to huge wins.

No one was saying that Brady was better than Manning, but it was pretty obvious that in cold or foul weather the is very little comparison. It just seems that the media likes to get fans riled up over something and I'm wondering if all of the guys who thought the Patriots were toast are trying to back track over Manning. I think that this will really catch fire if the Patriots keep winning.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
National sports media is starting the "Peyton can't win in the cold " again. I was up at 2:00 Am with leg cramps and decided to watch a little TV. There was a commentary about Peyton Manning and his lifetime record in temperatures under 40 degrees.

They stated that his performances in the cold have never come close to his performances in warm mild weather or his record indoors in Indianapolis. One commentator say he's probably going to be villified for his comment but he stated that Manning's records are pretty much meaningless, much like Dan Marino. His basis for the comment was that Manning put up 438 yards passing this past Sunday but couldn't find the end zone when it counted. Hence the achievements don't have much meaning when your team loses critical games.

They talked about what may be in store if the Broncos have to come back to Foxboro on January 27th to play in the AFC Championship game or if it should be sub freezing in Denver if the Patriots have to play there. If the temp is below 40 degrees, snowing or raining or windy they all concluded the it's not a home field advantage for the Broncos because Peyton won't be in huis comfort zone.

On the other side, they were amazed at Brady's record in the worst possible conditions. Rain, snow, wind and temps below zero. Brady a product of Southern California seem to dig down and relish the adversity and drive the Patriots to huge wins.

No one was saying that Brady was better than Manning, but it was pretty obvious that in cold or foul weather the is very little comparison. It just seems that the media likes to get fans riled up over something and I'm wondering if all of the guys who thought the Patriots were toast are trying to back track over Manning. I think that this will really catch fire if the Patriots keep winning.

listening to all the inconsistent talking heads that back track more often than anyone on the planet will drive you crazy. :crazy:

{+}Mother-Marge{+}

Hoopla Cash
$ 50.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol,....wtf did ya expect = lil' peyton got most of his records playing in a climate-controlled ((dome)),....I've witnessed him during his playoff visits here over a decade ago when the temps were around 20/snowy/~windy~........he sukked...!

{+}Mother-Marge{+}

Hoopla Cash
$ 50.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...I can see why vanatieri jumped at the chance to play in indy back in 2006 = no ~wind/rain/sleet/snow~ in Lucas...!,....and he's still ''kickin'' at 40/41....?!

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to remember that almost every single cold-weather game that Peyton plays in is on the road. I would say only a handful of games since he has been a Bronco have been in that kind of weather where he actually has the home field advantage. Throw in most of those cold weather games of his career have come in the playoffs meaning tougher competition on the road. So of course his stats look worse in cold weather compared to that of when he was in the dome with the Colts.

We have had this talk before BigKen and I have produced evidence where it shows that Peyton really isn't that bad in cold weather games. At the start of his career yes he stunk it up but he was stinking it up for the most part those first couple of years no matter where he played as he still has the record for most interceptions in a season if I remember correctly. If you look though over the last 10-years cold weather has not been that big of an issue. Heck even on Sunday he threw the ball just fine. He had the one bad pass for his first interception and yes he tried to force it some when the Broncos got down big but otherwise he was pretty much on target.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Troy Brown the great New England receiver AND cornerback is a local commentator for some of the Sports cable shows. A definite Patriots and Brady supporter but he's pretty open about views and certainly criticized the Patriots when he felt it was warranted.

His take on Manning (HOFer that he still is) is that he can be too much of a perfectionist and sometimes little things can get under his skin sometimes. Like the wind or Belichick (sometimes). It just takes him a little off his game.

No one is immune, Brady was miserable at the beginning of the year. Same with Peyton.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point was that these guys were all saying how bad the Patriots were before Sunday and now they have to make themselves look good because they stepped on their collective cranks. The easiest target is Manning.

Cdumler, you and I agree that it's easy to pick and choose particular games and string them together. Problem so far is that the talking heads went after the Patriots with vigor after the Miami and KC games because they were easy targets. They crapped all over Brady because he was not having anywhere near the type of games he's had recently. Now they have to back off Brady and the Patriots. The biggest joke is that some of them are putting the blame 100% on Manning. I wish that one of them would remove his head from his rectum and say...."Hey guys, it's really a team game. Win as a team, Lose as a team. It's not a one man show."

In the case of these guys last night, and I'm not sure what channel or group they were, were the same guys who had pretty much held a funeral for the Patriots after KC. I think they're trying to be the first "I told you so" bunch if the Broncos stumble again.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why you can't get too high or low after games like this. Like you said the Patriots were done for after the Chiefs game and now are the media darlings after this game. Broncos were unstoppable last week and now stand no chance of winning the Super Bowl.

Really after taking some time to look at the game the Broncos have some weaknesses and some things to work on but they are correctable things...Such as Special Teams directly cost the team 10-points in this game. 3 on the easy missed field goal and 7 on the returned punt.

Offensively Peyton's 2 interceptions lead to 2 touchdowns. So another 14 points right there just because of mistakes with one being a bad throw by Peyton and the other being a tipped pass that should have been caught by the Broncos. You take these mistakes out of the game and we have a 1-point game. I would say also the Broncos OL just had their worst game of the season by a long shot. They got used and abused when they had been doing that to quite a few teams. For now I view that as just a bad game not the norm. I think if these 2 teams play again there is a chance the game could be reversed. It really does come down to which team executes and which team makes the mistakes when these two powerhouses meet up. I'm really not that nervous that the Broncos were "exposed" as many of the media people like to put it. These things happen.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why you can't get too high or low after games like this. Like you said the Patriots were done for after the Chiefs game and now are the media darlings after this game. Broncos were unstoppable last week and now stand no chance of winning the Super Bowl.

Really after taking some time to look at the game the Broncos have some weaknesses and some things to work on but they are correctable things...Such as Special Teams directly cost the team 10-points in this game. 3 on the easy missed field goal and 7 on the returned punt.

Offensively Peyton's 2 interceptions lead to 2 touchdowns. So another 14 points right there just because of mistakes with one being a bad throw by Peyton and the other being a tipped pass that should have been caught by the Broncos. You take these mistakes out of the game and we have a 1-point game. I would say also the Broncos OL just had their worst game of the season by a long shot. They got used and abused when they had been doing that to quite a few teams. For now I view that as just a bad game not the norm. I think if these 2 teams play again there is a chance the game could be reversed. It really does come down to which team executes and which team makes the mistakes when these two powerhouses meet up. I'm really not that nervous that the Broncos were "exposed" as many of the media people like to put it. These things happen.

Nobody knows anything when you come down to it. Some people had SF getting to the SB. Now they may not even make the playoffs. A few weeks ago the same people had buried the Steelers. Now look what they are doing. It's a week to week thing with most teams. Sure, there is always the Jags, Raiders, Bucs and Falcons but many of the rest you don't know until the fat lady sings. And as we know, the 'experts' had the fat lady singing for the Pats after KC.

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a small correction Ken: Brady is a product of Northern CA - and played his college ball in Ann Arbor MI

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to remember that almost every single cold-weather game that Peyton plays in is on the road. I would say only a handful of games since he has been a Bronco have been in that kind of weather where he actually has the home field advantage. Throw in most of those cold weather games of his career have come in the playoffs meaning tougher competition on the road. So of course his stats look worse in cold weather compared to that of when he was in the dome with the Colts.

We have had this talk before BigKen and I have produced evidence where it shows that Peyton really isn't that bad in cold weather games. At the start of his career yes he stunk it up but he was stinking it up for the most part those first couple of years no matter where he played as he still has the record for most interceptions in a season if I remember correctly. If you look though over the last 10-years cold weather has not been that big of an issue. Heck even on Sunday he threw the ball just fine. He had the one bad pass for his first interception and yes he tried to force it some when the Broncos got down big but otherwise he was pretty much on target.

Very true regarding temps but wind is another story- and Manning had some very good throws on Sunday - but he certainly doesn't cope with the wind nearly as well as Brady does (not sure any QB plays as well as Brady in bad weather - Jim Kelly perhaps was close).

Reference the NE@Chicago game in 2010 in blizzard conditions.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IF the Patriots got smoked by the Broncos or even lost these talking heads would be jumping right back on the "Tom Brady is finished" bandwagon! I am sick and tired of this crap that spews out of these supposed "experts"

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very true regarding temps but wind is another story- and Manning had some very good throws on Sunday - but he certainly doesn't cope with the wind nearly as well as Brady does (not sure any QB plays as well as Brady in bad weather - Jim Kelly perhaps was close).

Reference the NE@Chicago game in 2010 in blizzard conditions.

Oh I agree he is not as good as Brady in those conditions. Brady throws a great spiral that works well in the cold windy conditions compared to Manning's balls. I'm just saying that Manning is not as bad as the media tries to make him out to be. His win/loss record isn't the greatest but I think all but 2 of his sub-40 degree games have been on the road which we all know teams just don't play as well on the road. Throw in quite a few of them have been playoff games so tougher competition. Anyway great game by you guys and hopefully see you once again in the AFC Championship game.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IF the Patriots got smoked by the Broncos or even lost these talking heads would be jumping right back on the "Tom Brady is finished" bandwagon! I am sick and tired of this crap that spews out of these supposed "experts"

Lol! Yeah, we get enough of that here at the Hoop!

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Don't you wonder why/how some of these guys have a job? Prime example is Marshall Faulk. He's worthless, but not the only one.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't you wonder why/how some of these guys have a job? Prime example is Marshall Faulk. He's worthless, but not the only one.

They get their jobs because they have played the game. But it clearly does not make them good commentators.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I almost would rather have the regular joe schmoe who actually knows a thing or two about football. 1) Gives me hope that maybe someday that guy could be me and 2) we don't have to listen to the crap most of these guys spew on a weekly basis. The media thinks we are idiots and will just soak in anything they throw at us, but I wish they knew if they actually worked to create a good product more people would stay tuned in longer. Problem is now I get to choose between listening to these 5 idiots on CBS or these 5 idiots on the NFL Network every Sunday...hmmm which to choose.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I almost would rather have the regular joe schmoe who actually knows a thing or two about football. 1) Gives me hope that maybe someday that guy could be me and 2) we don't have to listen to the crap most of these guys spew on a weekly basis. The media thinks we are idiots and will just soak in anything they throw at us, but I wish they knew if they actually worked to create a good product more people would stay tuned in longer. Problem is now I get to choose between listening to these 5 idiots on CBS or these 5 idiots on the NFL Network every Sunday...hmmm which to choose.

The networks and the league assume that it's the NFL and we'll follow like sheep to whatever they throw out there. :L

theseymonsta

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are watching 2 of the 3 greatest QB's ever compete on a regular basis. Its GREAT!.

Ignore the mediots.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The networks and the league assume that it's the NFL and we'll follow like sheep to whatever they throw out there. :L

Well, they do have 9 billion reasons indicating to them that their assumptions are correct...