• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Marvin Harrison Jr. the best prospect for the 2024 NFL Draft?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't matter about the OC, as much as it matters if they see a higher ceiling for Fields. Nothing gets you fired more quickly than trading away a QB, at the cusp of his prime years, and he blows up.

The good news is that the Bears have a ton of draft picks now to improve their team...even if they keep the #1.

I would last about 30 minutes as a GM of an NFL team, but I think from everything I've seen this past season from college QB's, I would trade back and give Fields another year if I were running the Bears. I think they could turn that #1 pick from Carolina into 4 fairly high draft picks. Then they can evaluate what they want to do next year with Fields, and have a ton of draft capital in making that decision.

Lucky for the Bears, their front office is unlikely to be around too much longer anyway.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No bonafide QB prospect? Really?

I think the bloom is off the rose a bit with Williams. I'm not saying he won't be a superstar, but I've read plenty commentary criticizing him lately.

He was more bonafide last year than this year.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Legit funny if someone makes Fields a starter, and pays starting QB level compensation, off of like 5 games.
If the value discrepancy is that large then Fields is 100% gone.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yea I don't know that I love Chicago going Harrison if they keep Fields.
Harrison is not the only great WR in the draft.
There is a growing number of Bears fans who prefer that our GM Ryan Poles tries to somewhat duplicate last year's #1 pick situation, which was to parlay that from a trade with the Panthers into multiple picks and DJ Moore. Of course one of those multiple picks ended up as this year's #1, so it's deja vu all over again. There is a scenario where it's possible they trade down the pick AND still land Harrison, but that only happens if the trade is either with the Commanders or the Patriots, as they are on track at the present to pick #s 2 & 3, respectively.

I'm also of the opinion that Harrison is not the only fish in the sea. He may be the top fish, but not the only. The Bears could afford to trade down even past the Cardinals to acquire even better draft capital, yet still be able to land the likes of Rome Odunze or Malik Nabers, two very good WRs and alternatives to Harrison in my book.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t get your question.

Screen Shot 2024-01-02 at 1.41.33 PM.png

You said Harrison is the only great WR in the draft. My question is do you draft him #1, knowing that #1 pick is likely worth 3-4 high draft picks in a trade?

Tahuyaman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 350006

You said Harrison is the only great WR in the draft. My question is do you draft him #1, knowing that #1 pick is likely worth 3-4 high draft picks in a trade?
Oh no. I said Harrison is NOT the only great WR in the draft. A WR is one of Chicago’ biggest needs though.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the bloom is off the rose a bit with Williams. I'm not saying he won't be a superstar, but I've read plenty commentary criticizing him lately.

I think any devaluing of Caleb is more about prospect fatigue than anything else. People want to pick at his (and teammates') statements and his father's behavior, but is anyone really critiquing his play? He still threw for 3600 yards, 30 TDs and 5 INT on over 100 fewer attempts than last year. His yards/attempt, rating and completion percentage are career highs this year. His yards/attempt (9.1, 9.1, 9.4), rating (169.6, 168.5, 170.1) and comp% (64.5%, 66.6%, 68.6%) have barely changed from year 1 to 3.

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the value discrepancy is that large then Fields is 100% gone.
:scratch:
I think your evaluation is backwards. If the #1 pick is worth as much as they are saying (more than they got for the #1 last year) and Fields is only going to get them a #2 or #3, the obvious move is to keep Fields and take the massive trade haul.

EDIT: Or do both... if they stay high enough to draft Daniels/Penix (or maybe Maye?) and they believe that they could be the guy.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think even with that, his pedestal as a prospect was so high up that the 'conservative' GM response to the whole situation will almost certainly be Caleb Williams at #1 and a top 3 DE with the Bears other 1st rounder. Trade Fields for a 2nd and use that on a starter of lower positional value.

There might be some player backlash from that, though. Not sure what the average Bears player is going to think of all of this especially if they beat the Packers.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh no. I said Harrison is NOT the only great WR in the draft. A WR is one of Chicago’ biggest needs though.

Oh...I'm sorry. I read it wrong. :doh:

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:scratch:
I think your evaluation is backwards. If the #1 pick is worth as much as they are saying (more than they got for the #1 last year) and Fields is only going to get them a #2 or #3, the obvious move is to keep Fields and take the massive trade haul.
Ah. What Im saying is that if Caleb Williams is seen as multiple tiers better than Fields then every GM in the league would pick Williams

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think any devaluing of Caleb is more about prospect fatigue than anything else. People want to pick at his (and teammates') statements and his father's behavior, but is anyone really critiquing his play? He still threw for 3600 yards, 30 TDs and 5 INT on over 100 fewer attempts than last year. His yards/attempt, rating and completion percentage are career highs this year. His yards/attempt (9.1, 9.1, 9.4), rating (169.6, 168.5, 170.1) and comp% (64.5%, 66.6%, 68.6%) have barely changed from year 1 to 3.

Again, I think he should be the #1 QB taken, but I don't think that there is a feeling that he is a sure thing like teams felt about Trevor Lawrence, Matt Stafford, or Peyton Manning. There was no trade package that likely would have been enough for their teams to trade back. Last year, he was treated like those prospects. This year, I think there is some debate.

I think the Bears would entertain a trade for that #1. It does help that they do have a young QB that seems to be improving, but if they do trade back, I think it shows that he isn't the bonafide draft pick he was last year. He will still command a GREAT haul of draft picks though! He has great value.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think even with that, his pedestal as a prospect was so high up that the 'conservative' GM response to the whole situation will almost certainly be Caleb Williams at #1 and a top 3 DE with the Bears other 1st rounder. Trade Fields for a 2nd and use that on a starter of lower positional value.

There might be some player backlash from that, though. Not sure what the average Bears player is going to think of all of this especially if they beat the Packers.
Caleb Williams is the #1 pick in my opinion. I just don't see him as having the value of Trevor Lawrence. Last year he had that value as being an untouchable trade. This year, I don't see it so much. Although, what do I know? :D

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a growing number of Bears fans who prefer that our GM Ryan Poles tries to somewhat duplicate last year's #1 pick situation, which was to parlay that from a trade with the Panthers into multiple picks and DJ Moore. Of course one of those multiple picks ended up as this year's #1, so it's deja vu all over again. There is a scenario where it's possible they trade down the pick AND still land Harrison, but that only happens if the trade is either with the Commanders or the Patriots, as they are on track at the present to pick #s 2 & 3, respectively.

I'm also of the opinion that Harrison is not the only fish in the sea. He may be the top fish, but not the only. The Bears could afford to trade down even past the Cardinals to acquire even better draft capital, yet still be able to land the likes of Rome Odunze or Malik Nabers, two very good WRs and alternatives to Harrison in my book.

Yea I'd like Nabers at 10 or whatever a little better and then a lineman with the other

BeaReylo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bears should trade the pick for another haul like last year. They're sticking with Eberflus so it would be, literally, insane to draft him another QB in a lame duck year.

No receiver is worth the amount of draft capital they could get for the pick. And if Eberflus and Fields flame out they will more than likely have a high draft pick the following season, and/or have a ton of options to move up and get their signal caller in the draft. And if the duo does work put they are set.

Tahuyaman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...or Edge.

They could also go QB at #1, get Odunze or maybe even Nabers with their own pick, and trade Fields for more draft capital.

All that said, the Bears making proper usage of any offensive weapon (including Caleb or Harrison) isn't great odds. How are they going to move forward with coaching with regards to Fields? Do they continue as is and risk Fields failing to develop under the current staff? Do they make changes and make Fields learn yet another offense? That along with the ticking clock on Fields' contract status makes me think they need to go QB at #1 AND overhaul the coaching staff, preferably with someone like Ben Johnson.
Keep Fields but give him more talent around him on offense.