• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Buchholz's cheating?

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I heard about the Toronto announcer say something yesterday, I kind of blew it off. Now that Jack Morris, who has no horse in this race, is saying it as well,......, where there is smoke..........?

TORONTO -- Jack Morris, a former World Series hero and a current Toronto Blue Jays broadcaster, said Thursday that he watched video after Wednesday night's game between the Jays and Red Sox and came away convinced Boston pitcher Clay Buchholz was throwing a spitball.

Jack Morris says Clay Buchholz is throwing a spitball. Whether he is or not, it's just part of the game, David Schoenfield writes.

Morris said he didn't notice it during Wednesday's telecast.

"I found out because the guys on the video camera showed it to me right after the game," he said. "I didn't see it during the game. They showed it to me and said, 'What do you think of this?' and I said, 'Well, he's throwing a spitter. Cause that's what it is."

Morris's accusation was vigorously disputed by the Red Sox, including manager John Farrell and Buchholz, who said it's the first time he's been accused of throwing a spitball.

"Loading up with what, rosin?" Buchholz said. "I get wet from my hair. Are they talking about the stains on my shirt? There probably are stains on my shirt, because I've been wearing the same shirt for the last three years.

"I'm doing the same thing right now as I did in 2008, when I was sent down to Double-A. But I guess something's got to be wrong, right?'"

Video of Buchholz rubbing his pitching hand on his left forearm was shown on the Jays' pregame show Thursday night.

"He's got rosin on his arm," said Farrell, visibly annoyed. "He's not loading up; he's got rosin on his arm. As soon as someone pitches well or does well, they're cheating."

“ I found out because the guys on the video camera showed it to me right after the game. I didn't see it during the game. They showed it to me and said, 'What do you think of this?' and I said, 'Well, he's throwing a spitter. Cause that's what it is.
” -- Jack Morris, on Boston pitcher Clay Buchholz​

Buchholz has won each of his first six starts, including Wednesday's when he held the Jays to two hits in seven scoreless innings. Buchholz, who has a 1.01 ERA, was named American League Pitcher of the Month on Thursday.

Morris said he went to Farrell and told him of his suspicions. He said he saw Buchholz repeatedly going to his left forearm, which he said was clearly smeared with a substance that Buchholz was rubbing onto the ball.

"It was all over his forearm, all over the lower part of his T-shirt, it's all in his hair," Morris said. "I can't prove anything. I can't prove anything.

"Funny thing, the way the game is played today. In our generation, every player, every coach would have seen it, the umpire would have gone out and made him change, made him stop and that changes everything. Or else they throw him out of the game. So what kind of bugs all of us is nothing is done here."

That last comment could be construed as criticism of Toronto manager John Gibbons and the rest of the Blue Jays, none of whom raised any issues with plate umpire Bruce Dreckman.

Morris won 254 games over the course of an 18-year big-league career. He is best remembered for one of the greatest pitching performances in World Series history, when he was with the Twins and beat the Atlanta Braves, 1-0, in 10 innings in Game 7 of the 1991 Series.

Asked if he believed the action of Buchholz's pitches suggested he was throwing a spitter, Morris said, "What do you think? Look at the pitches. Fastball at 94 that goes like that," Morris said, his hand darting swiftly down and away. "On a fastball?

"He's not the first guy to ever do it? You can get away with it. Gaylord [Perry] made a nice career out of it."

Perry is in the Hall of Fame.

Asked if he has seen any other current pitchers throw a spitball, Morris said he hasn't.

"But I'll be looking,'' he said. "I'll be looking. You warn all your boys I'll be looking.''

Morris said he shared his suspicions with Red Sox catchers David Ross, who caught Buchholz on Wednesday, and Jarrod Saltalamacchia before Thursday's game.

"I went up to Salty and I told him," Morris said. "He said, 'It's dry in Boston, and I've seen him put water all over his pants.' I said, 'Salty this isn't my first [expletive] rodeo.' He didn't know what to say to that, so we ended the conversation right there."

Saltalamacchia and Ross acknowledged speaking to Morris.

"I know for a fact he's not doing anything illegal, as far as making his ball move more or cutting the ball to make it do this, that's ridiculous," Saltalamacchia said.

Saltalamacchia said Buchholz uses a mix of water and rosin to improve his grip on the ball.

"There aren't too many pitchers who don't try to get a grip somehow," Saltalamacchia said. "That's why there's rosin out there. I don't see anything to be alarmed about. It's not like he's taking a file and cutting the ball, doing something to make the ball move.

"The only person I've ever seen do that is [Vicente] Padilla. I'd see Padilla get water from the back of his head, and the ball would sink six inches or so. With Buch, anyone who's been around him knows his ball does what it does, but he's not doing anything different than last year or the year before."

Said Ross: "I touch the ball as much as Buch does and I know when a pitcher is messing with the ball. He's not putting anything on it. And that shirt he wears is about 40 years old."

Morris said he never threw a spitter in a game.

"One game I tried it in the bullpen and that's why I know," he said. "It was back against Oakland when Billy [Martin] was in Oakland. He had Matt Keough, Mike Norris, Rick Langford and Steve McCatty. Every one of those guys was throwing a spitter; every one of them. The reason I know is I was pitching against Mike Norris and back in those days they wouldn't throw balls out, and they were all full of [stuff].

"Next time I'm in the pen, I asked Milt Wilcox, 'How do you throw a spitter,' because he pitched with Gaylord. He knows all Gaylord's tricks.

"He said, 'C'mon, I'll show you.' So I threw about three of them and the bottom fell out -- quick, sharp, nasty. But it's not the easiest thing to throw. That's why you don't throw it every pitch."

Morris said he took no issue with his spitball accusations being reported.

"I've got no problem with it," he said, "because I know he was."

Morris wasn't the only one to accuse Buchholz.

Former major league pitcher Dirk Hayhurst, now a broadcast analyst for the Blue Jays, told Toronto radio station Sportsnet 590 The Fan on Thursday that Buchholz was "absolutely" cheating in Wednesday's start.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sometimes its better to just paste the link and maybe quote an exert.

I have no idea if he is or isnt. It sounds more like he isnt but I think we need some guys to start pushing the rules on this side of things instead of PEDs. Baseball honestly has always been about deceit. Stealing bases, stealing signs, trying to catch the other guy off guard. Spitballers go wayy back in the game and it provides entertainment and controversy which in the end helps baseball i think. I do think PEDs shouldnt be allowed but look at the resurgence of baseball since they came about. Pitchers doctoring the balls up would be a good new twist to unveil.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, he's cheating but I'm having a hard time understanding why Jack Morris is making such a big deal about it.

bravesfan

simpobissible=making the simple into impossible
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, he's cheating but I'm having a hard time understanding why Jack Morris is making such a big deal about it.

I'm still pissed about game 7 in the 1991 world series

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Like me, he was not lucky enough to snag him for his fantasy team?

:mmph:

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like me, he was not lucky enough to snag him for his fantasy team?

:mmph:

Although, now is a great time to trade him. cheater or not there will be extra attention on him and the red sox, and if anything goes wrong then things can go bad to worse very quickly...

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although, now is a great time to trade him. cheater or not there will be extra attention on him and the red sox, and if anything goes wrong then things can go bad to worse very quickly...

Which is why they concocted the story... Trying to create controversy and pressure for the best team in baseball...

They showed a picture of Buchholz', and it took me five minutes to figure out that the reflection on his arm was the white stuff they thought they saw.

I'm glad it is kind of a non-issue for the Sox. The manager said hog-wash. Buchholz admitted he puts the rosin on his arm. By next week no one willbe talking about it...

PackageDelivery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, just a puss move by Toronto. Upset that their dream team is in last place and like 10 games out before cinco de mayo. So accuse the best pitcher on the best team in baseball of cheating, after he shuts you out for 7 IP.

ah, its good to be 20 - 8

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, just a puss move by Toronto. Upset that their dream team is in last place and like 10 games out before cinco de mayo. So accuse the best pitcher on the best team in baseball of cheating, after he shuts you out for 7 IP.

ah, its good to be 20 - 8

When it was just the Toronto announcer who said this, it was pretty easy to dismiss. Now that Jack Morris is in on this, I feel it is at least " a rumor with legs".

Unless that 2 years Morris did in Toronto has clouded his vision and opinions here.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
....and then there were 3.......

In his latest, SI’s Tom Verducci looks at the video evidence — and uses his own observations over the past couple of years — and concludes that Clay Buchholz is doctoring the baseball with some sort of substance that is not permitted under the rules:
Buchholz’s left forearm glistens this year with some kind of substance that is not rosin or perspiration. As the righthander admitted, he does keep water on his uniform and in his hair and does pat the rosin bag on his left forearm — all apparently legal. But rosin is white and has a matte finish. Something wet and mostly clear glistens from Buchholz’s left wrist to his elbow, the moisture of which darkens the edge of his left undershirt sleeve.
I wonder if Eck will now play the “Verducci never played the game” card. Seems like he would.
Anyway, here’s one of baseball’s most respected voices with Hayhurst’s back. He quotes extensively from Dirk’s book about how pitchers use goop to improve their grip and gives the strong impression that he feels Buchholz is doing just that.
Weirdest thing: he doesn’t seem to think it’s a big deal. He doesn’t come down on it with any form of judgment, really, but just notes that it’s common for pitchers to do it. Indeed, the column almost seems dissonent. Like it needed one more paragraph in which Verducci actually says what he thinks about Buchholz cheating. But it never comes. Verducci just leaves it hanging.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
....as every coin has 2 sides.........

The Blue Jays don’t want to go accusing someone of cheating and then have their own dirty laundry aired.
The Red Sox, for instance, still seem to think the Blue Jays are stealing signs in Rogers Centre games. This was something that first came up a couple of years ago and eventually spurred an ESPN Outside the Lines investigation that found four players willing to say they’ve witnessed someone in the center-field stands relaying signs to hitters. Orioles starter Jason Hammel said last year that he thought something shady was going on.
Of course, the 2013 Red Sox, more than any other team in baseball, know exactly what was going on with the Blue Jays in 2011-12, given that they now employ Toronto’s former manager, John Farrell, and third-base coach, Brian Butterfield. And while those two haven’t spoken up about anything like sign stealing, they’ve continued to employ the method the Red Sox first used in 2011 of having the catcher give multiple signs to the pitcher with no one on base. It’s something they’d have absolutely no reason to do unless they thought someone in the field of view — such as behind the center-field wall — was watching.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
....as every coin has 2 sides.........

The Blue Jays don’t want to go accusing someone of cheating and then have their own dirty laundry aired.
The Red Sox, for instance, still seem to think the Blue Jays are stealing signs in Rogers Centre games. This was something that first came up a couple of years ago and eventually spurred an ESPN Outside the Lines investigation that found four players willing to say they’ve witnessed someone in the center-field stands relaying signs to hitters. Orioles starter Jason Hammel said last year that he thought something shady was going on.
Of course, the 2013 Red Sox, more than any other team in baseball, know exactly what was going on with the Blue Jays in 2011-12, given that they now employ Toronto’s former manager, John Farrell, and third-base coach, Brian Butterfield. And while those two haven’t spoken up about anything like sign stealing, they’ve continued to employ the method the Red Sox first used in 2011 of having the catcher give multiple signs to the pitcher with no one on base. It’s something they’d have absolutely no reason to do unless they thought someone in the field of view — such as behind the center-field wall — was watching.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It must be an edible substance, considering he constantly goes to his mouth after he rubs his arm. In any event, just another guy following the path of Whitey Ford and Gaylord Perry, among others. Who was it that got caught with the sandpaper, Joe Niekro?

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It must be an edible substance, considering he constantly goes to his mouth after he rubs his arm. In any event, just another guy following the path of Whitey Ford and Gaylord Perry, among others. Who was it that got caught with the sandpaper, Joe Niekro?

yeah, it was niekro... It was a nail file in his pocket! When the ump came out to ask, he waived his arms to mask tossing it in the air... I wish I could find the vid..

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When it was just the Toronto announcer who said this, it was pretty easy to dismiss. Now that Jack Morris is in on this, I feel it is at least " a rumor with legs".

Unless that 2 years Morris did in Toronto has clouded his vision and opinions here.

Morris is the other Toronto broadcaster...

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Blue Jays have been stealing signals they're not very good at it.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whitey Ford couldn't even do it on his own. Elston Howard used to sharpen his shin splints and cut the ball until Hank Aaron called him on it.

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think King Felix is cheating too, through 5 in Toronto and he has only thrown 66 pitches for 2 hits and 6 K's, he's gotta be doing something to mow down this might Jays lineup. Anyone who beats the Jays is obviously doing something there...I think this is the Jays inning coming up.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think King Felix is cheating too, through 5 in Toronto and he has only thrown 66 pitches for 2 hits and 6 K's, he's gotta be doing something to mow down this might Jays lineup. Anyone who beats the Jays is obviously doing something there...I think this is the Jays inning coming up.

You should check with the announcers...i'm sure they'll agree. :lol: