• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Baker Mayfield a Bust?

Is Baker Mayfield a Bust?

• Yes

Votes: 35 26.5%
  • No

Votes: 50 37.9%
  • Will tell you at the end of the season

Votes: 35 26.5%
  • Taters

Votes: 12 9.1%

• Total voters

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He and the Browns were a few plays away from an AFC title game appearance.

That fella doesn't know much about football. He even said after the Pats got Cam he was done with New England. Only to pretend to be a fan again when they returned to the playoffs with a different QB. Fake fans like him are the worst.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be interested on the scout reports on Mariotta and Winston. They seem like obviously flawed players who got hype off their college performance.

Jameis threw a lot of picks in college.

Jameis was 25 18 his last year

18 picks in college is a shit ton.
The gist I got is that scouts actually really liked Winston despite the INTs and were split on Mariotta. Jameis was 40 10 his first year when he had better weapons. So he flashed early and then regressed and flashing early is usually something scouts look for. Mariotta was knocked for having a lot of 'easy' stuff in college so some scouts didnt think he was as good as his stats. Eli Manning and Colin Kaepernick were the two comps IIRC.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worth revisiting this thread

Baker sits in the top 10 in yards, TDS, and qb rating

This is interesting because, in terms of being the #1 overall pick, he has been a bust, let alone already on his 4th team. But he's probably about the 15th - 18th best QB on average, so in that regard, he's not an awful QB or anything. The inconsistency is what has killed him. I don't think he'll ever be a franchise QB though.

Jordan23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He’s no Ryan Leaf

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is interesting because, in terms of being the #1 overall pick, he has been a bust, let alone already on his 4th team. But he's probably about the 15th - 18th best QB on average, so in that regard, he's not an awful QB or anything. The inconsistency is what has killed him. I don't think he'll ever be a franchise QB though.
Agreed, and for that reason, I am sticking with my original vote of "taters"

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly think Baker got a raw deal. His time in Cleveland went south when he tried to be a team guy, and play through injury on a bad team. Media, fans turned against him for subpar play. Then the organization followed. Then he just lost his moxie. Baker was never the most talented guy. His gist wast he was a gamer, he had moxie, his guys loved him, he was accurate, and his arm otherwise was adequate. But man he just lost his mojo. I clearly was team Baker. I hope he somehow gets his groove back. Not likely, but glad he found a home somewhat.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uhh idk about that. Just bc a player is the #1 pick doesn't mean a lot. If you look at the draft at the time it was 4 QB jumbled at the top and none of them were believed to be anything close to #1 pick value so I don't agree with that logic other than the simple option of grading it that way out of laziness. The inconsistency could have something to do with 5 head coaches in 4 years, maybe? His 4 different teams was essentially in one season. He seems to be on a stable franchise that has good coaching and FO now-will it be for more than one season though-we will see. Other than with Stefanski he was dealt shit at the beginning of his career. Either way you are right about the inconsistency. That has been his biggest issue even if we want to blame the coaching, FO, etc. He still had 3 pretty damn good seasons for being a "bust". He is not a bust, he just didn't live up to #1 pick expectations but again, the draft was so-so and his situation was not good in Cleveland early. Even the best QB in that draft Josh Allen, a superstar, has struggled at times with turnovers and hasn't gotten any further in the playoffs than Baker.

Allen
Lamar
Burrow (hurt)
Watson (hurt)
Wilson
Mahomes
Tua
Dak
Goff
Stafford
Hurts
Purdy
Cousins (hurt)

Like I said years ago, I labeled Baker as around a top 12-13 QB and he is the same now. Take away the injured QB's and obviously a bit higher this season.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uhh idk about that. Just bc a player is the #1 pick doesn't mean a lot. If you look at the draft at the time it was 4 QB jumbled at the top and none of them were believed to be anything close to #1 pick value so I don't agree with that logic other than the simple option of grading it that way out of laziness. The inconsistency could have something to do with 5 head coaches in 4 years, maybe? His 4 different teams was essentially in one season. He seems to be on a stable franchise that has good coaching and FO now-will it be for more than one season though-we will see. Other than with Stefanski he was dealt shit at the beginning of his career. Either way you are right about the inconsistency. That has been his biggest issue even if we want to blame the coaching, FO, etc. He still had 3 pretty damn good seasons for being a "bust". He is not a bust, he just didn't live up to #1 pick expectations but again, the draft was so-so and his situation was not good in Cleveland early. Even the best QB in that draft Josh Allen, a superstar, has struggled at times with turnovers and hasn't gotten any further in the playoffs than Baker.

Allen
Lamar
Burrow (hurt)
Watson (hurt)
Wilson
Mahomes
Tua
Dak
Goff
Stafford
Hurts
Purdy
Cousins (hurt)

Like I said years ago, I labeled Baker as around a top 12-13 QB and he is the same now. Take away the injured QB's and obviously a bit higher this season.
Watson :dhd:

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly think Baker got a raw deal. His time in Cleveland went south when he tried to be a team guy, and play through injury on a bad team. Media, fans turned against him for subpar play. Then the organization followed. Then he just lost his moxie. Baker was never the most talented guy. His gist wast he was a gamer, he had moxie, his guys loved him, he was accurate, and his arm otherwise was adequate. But man he just lost his mojo. I clearly was team Baker. I hope he somehow gets his groove back. Not likely, but glad he found a home somewhat.

I think the Browns, in hindsight, would say they made a mistake. But Baker put them in a position to move off him because he wasn't consistent enough, and ultimately made him disposable, for someone who was certainly better at the time. Watson has been a total flop though.

I don't think he'll ever be someone's long-term solution at QB, but he's not awful. He's played himself into another 1-2 year deal IMO. But I don't think you'll ever win anything with him. His supporting cast in Cleveland was pretty good. Not so much in Carolina, and we saw how they went. He has a decent cast in TB and he's performed adequately IMO.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Allen
Lamar
Burrow (hurt)
Watson (hurt)
Wilson
Mahomes
Tua
Dak
Goff
Stafford
Hurts
Purdy
Cousins (hurt)

I disagree. Certainly being the #1 pick means something. You're ultimately graded on a more difficult scale. That doesn't have anything to do with his performance, just how he's graded. From being the #1 overall pick perspective, he's been a bust. You don't draft someone #1 overall thinking they will be off the team in 4 years. But, like I said, that doesn't mean he's been bad, overall. He's an avg QB in the NFL. His problem is his inconsistency. If we were doing a ranking last year, he would have been somewhere in the 30-35 range. This year, he's probably a top 15 QB.

As for your list, if we're including the injured QB's, I'd have him behind:

Tua
Allen
Rodgers
Lamar
Burrow
Lawrence
Stroud
Mahomes
Herbert
Hurts
Dak
Goff
Cousins
Purdy
Stafford

Ironically, I'd put Baker ahead of Watson at this point. Watson has looked awful since his return, can't stay healthy, and comes with a ton of baggage obviously. If TB, was in position to get Caleb or Maye, I would do it to get a QB on the rookie wage scale, but they aren't in a position to, so Baker likely gets another year (or two).

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's still very close to the Andy Dalton line. Not sure i'd take him ahead of Carr, Smith, Murray, Garoppolo...

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Put Baker on the Jets and they are a playoff team.
Put Brady, Manning, or Rodgers, even in their prime, behind the Jets O-Line and it's not a playoff team.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fun with statistical cherry-picking...

Active QBs under 30 with 100+ career passing TDs:
Mahomes 217
Goff 181
Allen 164
Mayfield 126
Jackson 118
Watson 118
Herbert 114

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Browns, in hindsight, would say they made a mistake. But Baker put them in a position to move off him because he wasn't consistent enough, and ultimately made him disposable, for someone who was certainly better at the time. Watson has been a total flop though.

I don't think he'll ever be someone's long-term solution at QB, but he's not awful. He's played himself into another 1-2 year deal IMO. But I don't think you'll ever win anything with him. His supporting cast in Cleveland was pretty good. Not so much in Carolina, and we saw how they went. He has a decent cast in TB and he's performed adequately IMO.

I didn't see Mayfield as the reason his teams were losing. Is he the guy that's going to put a team on his back and win the game for you? I don't know for sure, but I also don't know that he's the reason his teams were losing. Haven't seen enough of him to believe he's awful, but have seen enough to know you could win with him.

I do know one thing for sure, GBs DC made him and Devito look like all pros in consecutive weeks, so if the Vikings start you in the Packers game, you can look forward to being a millionaire with your 1st contract.