• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Baker Mayfield a Bust?

Is Baker Mayfield a Bust?

• Yes

Votes: 35 26.5%
  • No

Votes: 50 37.9%
  • Will tell you at the end of the season

Votes: 35 26.5%
  • Taters

Votes: 12 9.1%

• Total voters

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Browns can afford to pay Mayfield, and they'll have to if they can't trade him. It's just debt, (or negative asset), management at this point. Other teams were prepared to trade for Watson so it's not just the Browns. They just outbid everyone else.
They can afford to pay him THIS year...but that's likely it. Tagging him, even after a good year, and trying to work a trade would be a risky move.

At this point - the best option forward for both teams is to cut bait. Trade for what you can get, or simply let him go.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree to disagree. The likelihood of Mayfield playing well enough to increase his value without a full preseason, new receivers, and coming off an injury is slight. Playing well would only slightly increase his value because it's not going to override the previous 3 years. Not playing well would have a negative effect that would be worse than sitting out. He would do better to rebuild his image through tv presenting or commentating. Taking playing risks for peanuts hasn't worked out for Blake Bortles and I don't think it'll work for Mayfield either. Just my 2 cents.
I agree that not playing well would have a negative effect that's worse than sitting out, but I do think that playing well would significantly increase his value. And by "well" I mean a season a little better than his best season so far.

Now if he feels he's not in a position to play well with the Browns this year, that's something else.

If he's under contract and sits out, though, doesn't that cost him $18M?

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that not playing well would have a negative effect that's worse than sitting out, but I do think that playing well would significantly increase his value. And by "well" I mean a season a little better than his best season so far.

Now if he feels he's not in a position to play well with the Browns this year, that's something else.

If he's under contract and sits out, though, doesn't that cost him $18M?
He's not going to sit out as that would result in fines that would eat into the $18.86M. Equally he's not really going to contribute much either. Either he takes the bad back/dodgy hamstring approach or he plays in self preservation mode where it's better to go down to a phantom sack than throw it away or take unnecessary hits. He could come in and play hard but there's not much reward for that risk. This is why teams don't want to guarantee contracts and they avoid falling out with those on guaranteed contracts wherever possible. If the Browns can't agree a trade the next best solution is to have him sit at home on an exempt roster or fake IR. There's no reason to release him with $18.86M and have him play elsewhere.

Off-topic but 5th year options and tags have long been a personal bugbear for me, as is 4th year rookie contract pay. They should all have partial guarantees of 25-40%. If $7.2M or less of Mayfield's money was guaranteed there would be a completely different situation.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Who will play if Watson isn't available? Any chance it's Baker Mayfield?​

This is the NFL, and this is the Browns, so never say never. But sources have said that Mayfield has no interest in playing another down for the Browns again, especially after a team source told ESPN NFL Insider Chris Mortensen that the Browns were looking for "an adult" to replace Mayfield at quarterback during their pursuit of Watson in March. The Browns have given no indication they have any interest in Mayfield playing another down for them, either. Both sides have moved on, even if Mayfield still remains on the roster. And so, in the event Watson is suspended, Cleveland would plan to move forward with Jacoby Brissett, whom the team signed earlier this offseason and who has 37 career starts in the league, as its starting quarterback. -- Trotter
Cannot say this is anything new. My thinking he could play means 2 things are true...Watson gets a long suspension AND they believe Baker is a much better option than Brissett at QB based on talent.

Not sure what the reasoning would be to play a far lesser talent in a season with title aspirations if the above is both true.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or how about use your own argument - look at his past history - when things did not go the way Baker wanted, or he wasn't treated like he thought he should have been, or given what he thought he earned, he went to a different team...

I find it hilarious that you used this "Look at his past history" argument for several post until I pointed out that he left TT for OU for not being treated/given what he thought he earned, was deserved...then you simply ignored it because it was damning to your agenda.

If you are going to troll, you could at least be better at it. Maybe you and RTK can get together and have some study sessions.
I find it hillarious - OK, typical - you were scared off by another question. Once again, it was the Browns offer Baker 4 years and $160 mil he says no?

The leaving TT for OU supports my comments. You really seem confused by the notion for this discussion we are assuming the Browns are allowing Baker to be the #1 QB. I told you that then and again just now. No need to lie to make your point.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is one of the reasons why I've said Baker will likely be cut if they can't trade him. I'd play Brissett over Baker also. They signed Brissett for this exact reason.
You think they signed Brissett thinking he'd be the starting QB for an entire season? What team has ever done that in the NFL?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you were scared off by another question. Once again, it was the Browns offer Baker 4 years and $160 mil he says no?
You and your stupid "what if" pretend scenarios. People don't ignore them because they are scared, they ignore them because it's a stupid game and is irrelevant.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only $160M?

Seriously though if any team was willing to take Mayfield at $12M it would have happened already.
That's at best just a guess and irrelevant.

Try and stay with the comments, though......The poster said Baker has zero interest in staying here so I asked if he'd sign for $40 mil per for 4 years. If the answer is yes, then wouldn't zero be a bit of an exaggeration?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You and your stupid "what if" pretend scenarios. People don't ignore them because they are scared, they ignore them because it's a stupid game and is irrelevant.
They (and you) ignore them because if they answer it makes their previous comments look foolish. If Baker was paid what he wants he would sign without thinking twice. Meaning there is more than zero interest by him in staying here.

One person like you who is afraid of questions I know often says "another dumbass question".....yes, if you answer you'll look like a dumbass.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Browns chose not to re-sign him to a long-term deal after his 'strong' 2020 season despite having the leverage from the 5th year option. With 2 poor seasons behind him and coming off an injury Mayfield would have to play at a ProBowl level for the Browns to consider tagging and trading him. The Browns have made it crystal clear he isn't the guy they want going forward and Mayfield will be a FA in 2023. The Browns will try and get what they can out of Mayfield in 2022 but neither side is inclined to help the other.
agree neither inclined to help the other...but him playing well helps both.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And thanks to the contract Watson has - the Browns can't afford to pay Mayfield because they will be paying Watson since they 100% guaranteed the contract, and made it so that he was protected in case of suspension. Browns front office so smart, they outsmarted themselves, apparently.
If you are speaking of 2022, They have $40 mil in cap space with baker on the books. If you are speaking beyond 2022 why would there be a reason to keep Baker?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree to disagree. The likelihood of Mayfield playing well enough to increase his value without a full preseason, new receivers, and coming off an injury is slight. Playing well would only slightly increase his value because it's not going to override the previous 3 years. Not playing well would have a negative effect that would be worse than sitting out. He would do better to rebuild his image through tv presenting or commentating. Taking playing risks for peanuts hasn't worked out for Blake Bortles and I don't think it'll work for Mayfield either. Just my 2 cents.
I mean, he had his best season ever with no preseason games, very limited camp AND it was his first year in a new offense

Playing well again in this offense not possible they think, "hmmm...maybe that injury really did play a big role in his down year?"

Now I can agree with your first comment if your argument is simply whether he can play well or not.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He really could not have been much further from the truth.
No he nailed it. He doesn't have a agenda, he has no reason to be bias, he's got no skin in this situation, he made a perfectly sound observation, his views aren't colored because he's a Brown fan, neither is it colored because he hates the Brown, or hates Mayfield.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one knows, because no one can know, in a pretend scenario because...it's fiction.
Can you know with 100% certainty? I guess not. But you could offer an opinion if you were not scared of questions. In your opinion, would Baker sign if offered a 4 year deal for $160 mil?

Want to know what is most comical here, though? You inadvertently took my side. If "no one can know" guess what......saying there is zero percent chance Baker wants to be here, as I said, is an exaggeration.

you guessed it....ya gotta love this forum.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No he nailed it. He doesn't have a agenda, he has no reason to be bias, he's got no skin in this situation, he made a perfectly sound observation, his views aren't colored because he's a Brown fan, neither is it colored because he hates the Brown, or hates Mayfield.
He may not be biased but I gave reasons based on logic, facts and reason to refute some of his comments in post 956