• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL How will the Lakers find success next season?

How will the Lakers find success next season? As in winning a title

• James is the #1 option, AD #2, RW #3

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • James is the #1 option, RW #2, AD #3

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • RW #1, James #2, AD #3

• RW #1, AD #2, James #3

• AD #1, RW #2, James #3

• The role players will determine if the Lakers have success

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Their secret potato salad recipe

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers will have the most success with Lebron having the ball in his his hands the most, but with AD as the #1 scoring option.

Ultimately, assuming the Lakers stay healthy, the role players will determine the success. We know what we're likely to get from Lebron and AD...and we know what Westbrook can do. But if there ends up being a bunch of tension and issues with the role players (some of them will be looking at playing the fewest minutes of their careers), that could derail things as easily as injuries.

Agreed. Westbrook fits in as the Schroder replacement in the starting lineup, but should also help keep the Lakers productivity from nose-diving while Lebron rests. Hopefully the new additions also provide improved shooting/spacing, as well as adding some scoring punch to the second unit. My biggest concern would be seeing how this new roster gels defensively, as last year's group was pretty successful in that category.

I still think they need to add a forward that can be a small ball 5 behind AD, since more standard 5s like Dwight and Gasol tend to fall out of the rotation in the playoffs.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know what the big 3 can do when healthy. Obviously, chemistry may be an issue, especially if RW ends up being the 3rd option and he doesn’t accept that role.

but, the success of the team come down to the role players. How well do they play together. What is the 2nd unit going to be like? Do they finally have enough 3 pt shooting? Where will the defense rank?

these things will determine the success of the Lakers season.

Everyone is saying the right things now (about deferring to teammates and playing specific roles), but time will tell if that's just lip service and devolves into bickering. The Lakers added enough free agents of similar talent levels that it's tough to guess who falls where on the depth chart behind the big 3. Remains to be seen where they intend to give THT most of his minutes too, since they invested in his future with the new contract. I don't think he's really a PG, more of a play making wing?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. Westbrook fits in as the Schroder replacement in the starting lineup, but should also help keep the Lakers productivity from nose-diving while Lebron rests. Hopefully the new additions also provide improved shooting/spacing, as well as adding some scoring punch to the second unit. My biggest concern would be seeing how this new roster gels defensively, as last year's group was pretty successful in that category.

I still think they need to add a forward that can be a small ball 5 behind AD, since more standard 5s like Dwight and Gasol tend to fall out of the rotation in the playoffs.

It looks like Lauri Markkanen and Paul Millsap are still available. Either would be a good addition. Markkanen is an RFA. Hartenstein might be worth taking a flyer on as well.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like Lauri Markkanen and Paul Millsap are still available. Either would be a good addition. Markkanen is an RFA. Hartenstein might be worth taking a flyer on as well.

I agree on Hartenstein (and Millsap if he's OK with the vet min and reduced role). I can't imagine Markkanen taking the vet min, and as an RFA would probably be instantly matched if he did so.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,381.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
James Ennis is a possibility but I doubt they get Markkanen (he's a RFA) or Millsap.

Made 43% of his treys and a good defender.