• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Hot 'Stros to cool their heels in Arlington 6/6 to 6/9

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB Power Rankings: Two additions make a good Rangers team great

2 TEX.png It's funny how things work, right? The Shin-Soo Choo injury freed Nomar Mazara and the Rougned Odor punch freed Jurickson Profar.
funny how things work, right? The Shin-Soo Choo injury freed Nomar Mazara and the Rougned Odor punch freed Jurickson Profar. Texas Rangers have made two in-season additions to their ballclub without making a trade and now could possibly emerge as the best team in the American League.

First up, Yu Darvish returned from a year-plus hiatus to rejoin the rotation from Tommy John surgery. He's only made two starts, but he's resembled his old self, coming away with a pair of wins and 12 strikeouts in 10 2/3 innings.

Next, Jurickson Profar -- formerly the top prospect in all of baseball who lost almost two years to injury -- was summoned from the minors when Rougned Odor was suspended for his punch of Jose Bautista. All Profar's done so far is hit .380 with two doubles, two triples and two home runs in 50 at-bats. He even got the start at first base on Tuesday, displaying the versatility that enabled the Rangers to play him at four different positions in 2013 when he was only 20 years old. Yes, he's still only 23. Some players aren't even promoted to the bigs until after that, so let's not make the mistake of thinking he's some late bloomer. He's just a talented baseball player who had a significant injury.

This was already a great roster, too. From the veterans with big-time postseason success like Cole Hamels and Adrian Beltre to the young blood of Odor and Nomar Mazara -- who is currently running away with the AL Rookie of the Year award -- there is so much to like here. Shin-Shoo Choo will be back soon to add some depth and maybe Prince Fielder even figures things out and gets hot at some point.

If not, the team still looks great, having won five straight and 14 of their last 17 games. For all of the above reasons, Texas gets the top spot this week among AL teams in the rankings. The Rangers figure to remain in the discussion with the likes of the Red Sox, Orioles and Indians (and Royals? Mariners? White Sox?) for the duration of the season, too.

The one big issue? The bullpen has been terrible so far. Only the Reds have a worse relief pitching ERA and they've been historically bad. The Rangers have blown seven leads, taken 12 bullpen losses and have a 4.97 ERA among relievers.On Tuesday, they allowed one run in two innings to win a one-run game and the ERA actually lowered.

The good news is this is probably the easiest place to improve over the course of the season by trades, simple regression of those already on the team, moving starters back to the 'pen, taking chances on relievers who flamed out with other clubs or just plugging in others from the minors. There's already one great example of the latter in Matt Bush (1.54 ERA, 1.03 WHIP, 12 K, 1 BB, 11 2/3 IP since his promotion).

So, yes, I'm betting the bullpen improves. Even if it doesn't, they've been winning plenty of games in spite of it so far.

img25607713.jpg
Jurickson Profar, an answer at first base.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
16 HOU.png 1-9 against the Rangers, 28-24 against everyone else. Maybe it's time for Ken Giles to tell us which team is more talented? Oh wait, he already did that.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2016 Mock MLB Draft: A.J. Puk the favorite to go first overall
There's no surefire No. 1 overall prospect in 2016, but that doesn't mean the draft class is devoid of talent

Thursday night, the 2016 First Year Player Draft will begin with the annual MLB Network broadcast in Secaucus, New Jersey. The draft runs three days and covers 40 rounds. The draft used to be 100 rounds, you know. Like the baseball season, the baseball draft is a marathon, not a sprint.

Due to free agent compensation, there are only 23 picks in the first round this season. Seven teams forfeited their first-round selection to sign a qualified free agent this past offseason. Here's the list:

• Diamondbacks: Forfeited 13th overall pick to sign Zack Greinke.
  • Orioles: Forfeited 14th overall pick to sign Yovani Gallardo.
  • Nationals: Forfeited 17th overall pick to sign Daniel Murphy.
  • Giants: Forfeited 18th overall pick to sign Jeff Samardzija.
  • Rangers: Forfeited 19th overall pick to sign Ian Desmond.
  • Royals: Forfeited 24th overall pick to sign Ian Kennedy.
  • Cubs: Forfeited 27th overall pick to sign John Lackey.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got an unexpected visitor and missed everything after the 6th.Taken a while to catch up. Good win and Roogie continues to impress.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers' Adrian Beltre: Day-to-day with mild hamstring strain
by RotoWire Staff | RotoWire
Beltre's MRI on Thursday revealed a mild left hamstring strain and the Rangers plan on evaluating him day by day, Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports.

The veteran third baseman was held out of Thursday's game against the Astros after exiting the previous game with a tight left hamstring. The MRI confirmed that Beltre has a strain, but there is no plan at this time to place him on the disabled list. Stefan Stevenson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram is reporting that Beltre will travel with the team for the Rangers' upcoming road trip that kicks off Friday in Seattle. If Beltre is to miss additional time beyond Thursday, the versatile Jurickson Profar could take over at the hot corner in his place.
Glad to hear this but we will be very short in depth on the bench until he is playing.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Astros breathe sigh of relief after Carlos Correa suffers awkward ankle injury

Correa suffered the injury when he took an awkward step while running through first base

Thursday afternoon in Texas the Rangers beat the Astros (TEX 5, HOU 3) to clinch a win of the four-game series from their in-state rivals. The Rangers have won 10 consecutive series and 15 of their last 19 games.

The loss dropped the Astros to nine games back in the AL West, which obviously is not ideal. Thursday could have been much worse for Houston, however. Franchise cornerstone Carlos Correa left the game after taking an awkward step while running through first base. Here's the play:

correaankle060916.gif
Man, that is scary. Correa was running full speed and he came down on his ankle with all his weight when he landed on the bag awkwardly. He was down on the ground for several minutes before walking off the field gingerly.

Correa went for X-rays and received good news: he only suffered an ankle sprain and is day-to-day. He didn't do any major damage.

The Astros have a three-game series with the Rays this weekend, then have an off-day Monday. If they sit him out the three games in Tampa Bay, Correa would effectively have four days to rest the ankle. Of course, if he's healthy and ready to play, they want him in the lineup.

Correa's injury led to Jose Altuve playing shortstop for the first time in his big-league career. Heck, it was the first time he played any position other than second base. According to Baseball-Reference.com, Altuve's history at shortstop consisted of one inning in winter ball in 2010.

Backup infielder Marwin Gonzalez was manning first base with regular first baseman Tyler White in the lineup at DH. The Astros would have had to forfeit the DH to put White at first and Gonzalez at DH.

correainjury060916.jpg
Carlos Correa sprained his ankle running out a ground ball Thursday.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great going 6-1 against the Mariners and Astros. Hard for any of us to have predicted that. And 6 straight series wins. Let's keep this stampede going.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think of this: take 4 of those away, and the Rangers are tied with the Cubs for the most wins in all of baseball.

Would love to catch them before the AS break and have the best record in baseball, but I will be content to keep winning series'

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ask any Astro and they would say it was a "lucky" series for us.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ask any Astro and they would say it was a "lucky" series for us.

Is owning their asses all the way back through last season lucky too? Asking for a friend.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was it luck or not that we won with both albatross in the line up? I rather not continue to do that but with a short bench I'll opt out and hope it was not luck.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was it luck or not that we won with both albatross in the line up? I rather not continue to do that but with a short bench I'll opt out and hope it was not luck.
I'm not proud. I will take luck too.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, assuming that we're still pennant contenders at the trade deadline, the team is relatively healthy across the board, and JD only makes one trade, what would you have him acquire:

A) TORP (Sale, Gray?) to put with Hamels, Darvish, and Lewis for the playoffs
B) Proven closer (Andrew Miller?) to allow Dyson to slide back into his 8th inning role
C) Reliable depth reliever (Doolittle, D Phelps, F Abad?) for 6th-7th inning or situational work
D) Upgraded starting bat (Lucroy?)
E) Bench bat (J Lowrie, B Butler?)

C, I think Dyson is a damn fine option at closer

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C, I think Dyson is a damn fine option at closer

Without a doubt. Kela, Bush, Diekman, and Dyson is a pretty damn impressive shutdown group. I wouldn't mind one more solid guy for the pen to take some pressure of those guys down the stretch touch. Cotta was available last I heard.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want Dyson and Diekman both pitching the highest leverage spots...That's not typically the last three outs though.

Diekman is getting results but he scares me sometimes, I trust Bush more than Diekman at this point, but rolling those guys out 7-8-9 works for me most nights

Its the nights that they aren't available that are the issue