• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hisashi Iwakuma

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Posted this in another thread,

Iwakuma in his 24 games started with the Mariners:

12-5 2.33 ERA 146.2 IP 129 Ks

Iwakuma has been incredible thus far but I would take Darvish over Iwakuma. In starts Darvish averages 6.58 IP and Iwakuma averages 6.09 IP per start. Not to mention Darvish is 6 years younger than Iwakuma.

I have to disagree with you. I would rather have Iwakuma over Darvish. Darvish reminds me of one of those Japanese pitchers that has 2 or 3 good years then all of a sudden is less than average, time will tell. Age is the only thing I would give in favor of Darvish at this point. By the time Darvish is half way through his contract he will become overpaid. Granted that is a guess as to how I think Darvish future will turn out.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to disagree with you. I would rather have Iwakuma over Darvish. Darvish reminds me of one of those Japanese pitchers that has 2 or 3 good years then all of a sudden is less than average, time will tell. Age is the only thing I would give in favor of Darvish at this point. By the time Darvish is half way through his contract he will become overpaid. Granted that is a guess as to how I think Darvish future will turn out.

Why would you take a #3 or #2 starter over an Ace?! Darvish will not be average ever, because his stuff is so nast. You obviously dont watch him.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would you take a #3 or #2 starter over an Ace?! Darvish will not be average ever, because his stuff is so nast. You obviously dont watch him.

I do watch him, I think with the style he pitches his lifespan as an "ace" isn't going to last very long. There are several pitchers in the league that I would rather have over Darvish. In my opinion he is vastly overrated mostly because he plays for a good team. I am not saying he isn't a good pitcher I think he is an extremely talented player right now, you see an ace I see a guy that is overrated and will burnout about the same time Iwakuma does even though Iwakuma is much older.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hisashi iwakuma is good but he is no Yu Darvish

You are right he isn't.

Iwakuma doesn't throw as hard as Darvish, Iwakuma's "stuff" isn't as "nasty", Darvish strikes guys out more frequently... Yet Darvish gives up more runs than Iwakuma. Its the runs in the box score that matter not the K's.

Comparing these two pitchers is pretty dumb at this point anyway they are both pitching very well this season whichever one of these guys finishes the season with better numbers I wouldn't be surprised either way.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are right he isn't.

Iwakuma doesn't throw as hard as Darvish, Iwakuma's "stuff" isn't as "nasty", Darvish strikes guys out more frequently... Yet Darvish gives up more runs than Iwakuma. Its the runs in the box score that matter not the K's.

Comparing these two pitchers is pretty dumb at this point anyway they are both pitching very well this season whichever one of these guys finishes the season with better numbers I wouldn't be surprised either way.

ERA is not a good stat for future success.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darvish 2.40 FIP 2.16 xFIP, Iwakuma 2.81 FIP 3.14 xFIP. Keep in mind that xFIP is a good stat to predict the future.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do watch him, I think with the style he pitches his lifespan as an "ace" isn't going to last very long. There are several pitchers in the league that I would rather have over Darvish. In my opinion he is vastly overrated mostly because he plays for a good team. I am not saying he isn't a good pitcher I think he is an extremely talented player right now, you see an ace I see a guy that is overrated and will burnout about the same time Iwakuma does even though Iwakuma is much older.

That makes no sense. Why would he burn out? I know you wish that but cmon now lol

blade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That makes no sense. Why would he burn out? I know you wish that but cmon now lol

Dominant his first five starts with a 1.65 ERA.
Pedestrian in his last three starts with a 4.50 ERA.

Dominate on the road with 1.95 ERA with 4 consecutive quality starts.
Pedestrian at home with a 3.60 ERA and only 2 for 4 in quality starts.

So which pitcher is he? If he is truly great, then the question shouldn't have to be asked.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dominant his first five starts with a 1.65 ERA.
Pedestrian in his last three starts with a 4.50 ERA.

Dominate on the road with 1.95 ERA with 4 consecutive quality starts.
Pedestrian at home with a 3.60 ERA and only 2 for 4 in quality starts.

So which pitcher is he? If he is truly great, then the question shouldn't have to be asked.

Like i said ERA is the last stat you should use. Its bad because only bad inning is the first. Home and road dont matter, cause he is that good.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he has 4 or 5 starts this year where he has given up 3 or less hits...

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Iwakuma is going to earn a win before even putting a foot on the rubber. haha

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like i said ERA is the last stat you should use. Its bad because only bad inning is the first. Home and road dont matter, cause he is that good.

So did he not pitch in the first inning of his starts? Did he not give up runs in the first inning? He is good only after he sucks to start? His talent level should be measured on each and every pitch he throws whether that be in the first inning or the ninth inning.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he has 4 or 5 starts this year where he has given up 3 or less hits...

Wow that is awesome but in his 8 starts he has given up 3 runs or more in 5 starts. I will take fewer runs over fewer hits.

Iwakuma has 9 starts and has given up 3 runs only one time so far.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Truth be told I look forward to watching the Verlander vs. Darvish game. Should be a good one to watch. Two good offenses clashing against two of the better pitchers in the game should be a great game to watch.

Verlander seems to give up a bunch of walks if he isn't on this game the Rangers could hurt him because of that. And Darvish can't let the Tigers jump on him early.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And just think, the Mariners had this guy in the bullpen for the first 3 months of last season to make room in the rotation for guys like Kevin Millwood, Blake Beavan and Hector Noesi. And even then he only made it into the rotation because of several injuries. M's management never ceases to amaze me with its collective stupidity.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow that is awesome but in his 8 starts he has given up 3 runs or more in 5 starts. I will take fewer runs over fewer hits.

Iwakuma has 9 starts and has given up 3 runs only one time so far.

Yeah but Yu still hasnt even reached his potential yet. Thats crazy.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So did he not pitch in the first inning of his starts? Did he not give up runs in the first inning? He is good only after he sucks to start? His talent level should be measured on each and every pitch he throws whether that be in the first inning or the ninth inning.

I know. But he will improve as the season goes on i think.

blade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No thanks. Im perfectly fine with ERA (And WHIP. And BAA). Kinda funny how a stat that was perfectly fine for owners, scouts, managers and coaches, for more than 120 years, suddenly sucks in the eyes of sabernerds.

No, I'll never de-value ERA n my evaluation of a pitcher no matter how much data and new-age ststa you throw at me. You want to know the one stat that is really, truly over-rated in my opinion? Strikeouts.