• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Heckle Anecdote?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Were you ever at a game and shouted a heckle at a player that actually got his attention? Good or bad.

I remember being at a Giants/Astros game in the late 80s (I was maybe 15 or so). I was sitting somewhere behind home plate, maybe 15-20 rows back, pretty much right behind the 3rd base on deck circle.

Glenn Davis was on deck and warming up. His warmup procedure included basically swinging the bat very low. I remember yelling something to the effect of “Hey Glenn, this is baseball, not golf!” He did slow turn around to look at me (I imaging him smirking, but I have no idea if that was really there or not).

Stupid heckle, but hey, it worked…

Sandisfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If not Giants related.... At a San Jose Rhino's pregame against the Vancouver Voodoo *seeing logo in game day guide did it no justice great Unis) when there was a fast food tagline I used on the opposing goalie

"Bell Taco Bell Run for the Boarder" got some laughs. small crowd medium crowd for game lower bowl. :)

P.S. Roller Hockey lasted two years, at Shark Tank 2nd year won the championship.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Were you ever at a game and shouted a heckle at a player that actually got his attention? Good or bad.

I remember being at a Giants/Astros game in the late 80s (I was maybe 15 or so). I was sitting somewhere behind home plate, maybe 15-20 rows back, pretty much right behind the 3rd base on deck circle.

Glenn Davis was on deck and warming up. His warmup procedure included basically swinging the bat very low. I remember yelling something to the effect of “Hey Glenn, this is baseball, not golf!” He did slow turn around to look at me (I imaging him smirking, but I have no idea if that was really there or not).

I heckled a Reds pitcher and they sent him down the next day. I was talking mad shit and he told me to come down to the pen and fight him. I was laughing my ass off. His team sent him back to the minors. He couldn't handle the big leagues.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got Lou Pienella to laugh and give me the “get out of here” gesture on his leisurely stroll back from a mound visit once.

“Lou Piniella wears women’s underpants!” was the heckle. Good times.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not exactly a heckle and not personal, but who can forget Jim Rome calling Jim Everett "Chris" during and interview?

Reason number 1 why I have always hated Jim Rome. He is pure shock with no real meat to his schtick. To this day, his voice puts a scowl on my face and I instinctively reach to change the station.

Sandisfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If not Giants related.... At a San Jose Rhino's pregame against the Vancouver Voodoo *seeing logo in game day guide did it no justice great Unis) when there was a fast food tagline I used on the opposing goalie

"Bell Taco Bell Run for the Boarder" got some laughs. small crowd medium crowd for game lower bowl. :)

P.S. Roller Hockey lasted two years, at Shark Tank 2nd year won the championship.
Misspelling, I didn't recheck message and posted not seeing Boarder=Border UGH and a couple of grammar mistakes, LOL that would make it more readable LOL.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was once at a Vancouver Canadiens game. Beautiful little Nat Bailey Stadium.
My drunken asshole friend was saying everything he could think of that was disparaging to Kelly Gruber. He was doing a tour of the minors in between stops up top. Apparently, Gruber didn’t like it and walked right over to where my buddy was standing at the fence.
My drunken asshole friends, knees buckled when he saw how ripped Gruber was. He just about pissed himself. And even better he shut the fuck up. He was irritating me as well.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep...April 13, 2010 (looked it up) Sitting behind the A's dugout at Safeco Field. For some reason I always irrationally disliked Kevin Kouzmanoff, so I just rode him all game with ridiculous insults. Things like "I heard you prefer boneless wings," and other nonsense. In the 6th, he stand up and says "If you shut the fuck up, I'll give you a ball." I shrug, and up comes a ball that I catch... coated in pine tar. Tossed the ball back in the dugout along with the napkins I used to wipe my hands and kept on him. Got the ball back at the end of the game.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep...April 13, 2010 (looked it up) Sitting behind the A's dugout at Safeco Field. For some reason I always irrationally disliked Kevin Kouzmanoff, so I just rode him all game with ridiculous insults. Things like "I heard you prefer boneless wings," and other nonsense. In the 6th, he stand up and says "If you shut the fuck up, I'll give you a ball." I shrug, and up comes a ball that I catch... coated in pine tar. Tossed the ball back in the dugout along with the napkins I used to wipe my hands and kept on him. Got the ball back at the end of the game.
I thought you were going to say you ended up getting a chair thrown at your face. LOL

Awesome story, though. The heckler getting heckled by the hecklee.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reason number 1 why I have always hated Jim Rome. He is pure shock with no real meat to his schtick. To this day, his voice puts a scowl on my face and I instinctively reach to change the station.

I confess that when I moved to SoCal in the late 80's, I kind of enjoyed Rome's schtick. He could do good interviews occasionally but he was mostly about the humor. It was more frat boy humor to me, and I was not a frat boy. When he was on the Mighty 690 in San Diego, he mercilessly taunted another sports talk host, Hacksaw Hamilton. After a while, I just got tired of it. The glosses. The inside jokes. The smack-offs. Haven't listened to him for a long time.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a ball game, but wife and I were at the ATT ProAM golf tournament in the early 90's. Alice Cooper took a long uphill putt at Poppy Hills and left it a good 5' short. Lovely wife yells out 'Hit it Alice!' - Alice Cooper's pro (forgot who it was) dropped to his knees in laughter. Cooper came over and gave us an evil sneer and then broke out a smile and gave my wife a hug...

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1983… Royals @ Rangers. Jerry Martin was playing right field (before his cocaine bust). Martin’s my last name so I started riding him - he never looked at me. He dropped an easy fly ball and I yelled “you’re a disgrace to the name”… he looked right at me and just glared. Next inning - he dropped another one. The whole section started giving him shit. Following batter hit one to him… he caught it. The whole right field fan base gave him a standing ovation. He looked right at me and doffed his cap and I returned it… and we both smiled.

So - I say just like you do. It worked.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1983… Royals @ Rangers. Jerry Martin was playing right field (before his cocaine bust). Martin’s my last name so I started riding him - he never looked at me. He dropped an easy fly ball and I yelled “you’re a disgrace to the name”… he looked right at me and just glared. Next inning - he dropped another one. The whole section started giving him shit. Following batter hit one to him… he caught it. The whole right field fan base gave him a standing ovation. He looked right at me and doffed his cap and I returned it… and we both smiled.

So - I say just like you do. It worked.
The entire purpose of a heckle is get them to acknowledge you. Whether it be by being over the top rude or disgusting, or by being cute, or by just telling a stupid joke. If you get them to acknowledge it, it was a good heckle.

Well done, sir.

:yo:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spring Training a few years ago. I was in Maryvale for Brewers v Reds. Ryan Braun come up to bat and I yell "I love you you beautiful Hebrew man!!"

Whole crowd laughs, he turns around and looks. Two pitches later hit a HR and as he crossed home plate he blew us a kiss.

Good times.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spring Training a few years ago. I was in Maryvale for Brewers v Reds. Ryan Braun come up to bat and I yell "I love you you beautiful Hebrew man!!"

Whole crowd laughs, he turns around and looks. Two pitches later hit a HR and as he crossed home plate he blew us a kiss.

Good times.
I 100% believe you said that. LOL