• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Halladay is starting?

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I haven't been keeping up as much lately. Was he scheduled to pitch or is it a last minute thing since they used everyone up last night?

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I haven't been keeping up as much lately. Was he scheduled to pitch or is it a last minute thing since they used everyone up last night?

They announced it this morning on CSN around 2:30 AM after the game was over. I was surprised but glad to hear it. Hope he goes 6 innings today.

_phiLLies_

shut up baby, i know it
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
halladay still looks like halladay. mediocre fastball... offspeed stuff just floating right back to the middle. i'm starting to think he might never be truly effective again.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well _Phillies_ I thought since last year in Chicago when it was real hot that he developed heat exhaustion and it was misdiagnosed and not treated. I saw a decline in his production thereafter and then his shoulder went and under the knife was next. Heat exhaustion will do that to a player especially a pitcher and if I am right, it would definitely contribute to the shoulder injury as well. I think with age and this string of events that he is indeed done.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Retro, I've seen you post something like this before and I meant to ask since you seem to have some knowledge on the subject- Is it common for someone that suffered from heat exhaustion to be more sensitive to the heat for a while afterward (or for the rest of their life?) ? I had an incident that was probably undiagnosed heat exhaustion a few years ago and I have noticed that I do seem to have less endurance in extreme heat and humidity since then. What is the treatment for it if you have been diagnosed with heat exhaustion? I know in football they give you an IV, but I just sat in my air conditioned house and drank gatorade all day until I eventually gained back the 10 pounds I lost

_phiLLies_

shut up baby, i know it
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well _Phillies_ I thought since last year in Chicago when it was real hot that he developed heat exhaustion and it was misdiagnosed and not treated. I saw a decline in his production thereafter and then his shoulder went and under the knife was next. Heat exhaustion will do that to a player especially a pitcher and if I am right, it would definitely contribute to the shoulder injury as well. I think with age and this string of events that he is indeed done.

would definitely be a shame. i wish he was on the 2008 team, or even the 2009 one.. just so he could have had a chance to play for a championship.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea Cedrique, I hold an advanced degree in the medical field and I too contracted heat exhaustion that was not treated when I played football in high school a long time ago. You have it diagnosed correctly. If you get it, you will be extra sensitive to heat and humidity the rest of your life. The good news is if you acclimatize to heat correctly, your response to it will be less sensitive over time and it won't be life threatening because once you get heat exhaustion you increase your risk for heat stroke which is life-threatening unless it is treated long-term.

The immediate treatment is to get the person in an ice bath and get fluids in them ASAP-Mostly water at first and then later once the core temperature comes down to get food and electrolytes in the form of a sports drink like you suggested and what you did. This didn't happen with Halladay in Chicago. They took him to the bench and he sat there and he literally cooked his career. Dumbass Phillies piss me right off!

Long-term, the person has to be re-acclimated to the heat. I live in Phoenix and I have to be extra careful when moving about in temps that exceed 100 degrees Fahrenheit which during the summer is often. I have to drink tons of water and get the sports drinks in me during my meal and I have to guard against getting overheated.

So when I start feeling my muscle strength wane or weaken or I feel nauseous, I stop, get out of the heat (into a building with AC) and again re-hydrate. I also get out of my long pants (if I have to wear them) and I get into shorts and light clothing. I know back east with the humidity, the heat can become suffocating. That's when you do the 50-gallon tub with ice quickly to get cool.

I am pretty sure Halladay got heat exhaustion because he exhibited all of the symptoms and those dumbasses stood there with there thumbs up there asses. When that happens, the connective tissue proteins in the ligaments and tendons at the joint begin to fray or coagulate like a worn rope or a fried egg and that contributes to a loose joint at the microscopic level.

And I am pretty sure that was another factor that eventually contributed to Halladay blowing out his shoulder. Like I said, he cooked his career that day and I seriously doubt if he'll ever return to his previous prowess especially with his advancing age. I hope that helps.

SickFelonIsGOAT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmmm, interesting Retro..... I have always been sensitive to the heat since I was young, but no one really noticed it til I got older (31 now). Members of my family suggested I go get checked thinking it might be some kind of condition, but now I wonder if I didn't suffer from Heat exhaustion at one point when I was younger. I do remember some instances happening when I was younger that I think could have been that.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea SickFelon. It is real subtle and it usualy afflicts younger people because of the lower capacity to both store water (body mass is lower) and sweat because of the surface area of your skin and the number of skin-based sweat glands is lower when you are kid than when are an adult.

If you are extra sensitive to heat and humidity and you start to feel weak and/or nauseous, chances are pretty good you were afflicted by a misdiagnosed incident or incidents when you were younger. If you had a time in the heat when you were so hot that your face was red and you were sweating but your skin felt cool and clamy around your face while it was red from within, the chances are very high you were afflicted and were not treated.

So, you can get it treated form specialty clinics around the country. Just google it and you can easily find one within your area.