• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hall of Fame Veterans' Committee Nominees

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good for Fred. I do think he's more HOVG than HOF (he ranks 277th all-time in WAR behind the likes of Gooden/Jack Clark/Koosman/David Wells), but I don't think he's a particularly bad selection either (say Morris/Jim Rice/Sutter/Baines). If it wasn't for the strike, he almost assuredly gets to 500 home runs and gets inducted much sooner.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This.

It's so stupid. We are going to pretend Jeff Bagwell wasn't on the juice? So dumb.

Clemens,Bonda and A Rod are all top 20 all time guys and they should be in.
Hard to put ARod in the same class as B&C. B&C never officially failed a test. ARod got a third strike. HUGE difference.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good for Fred. I do think he's more HOVG than HOF (he ranks 277th all-time in WAR behind the likes of Gooden/Jack Clark/Koosman/David Wells), but I don't think he's a particularly bad selection either (say Morris/Jim Rice/Sutter/Baines). If it wasn't for the strike, he almost assuredly gets to 500 home runs and gets inducted much sooner.
Yeah he definitely was durable, which is worth something. Voters like to see full seasons and he had 10 seasons with over 150 games played and 15 seasons all while producing an .880 lifetime OPS. Definitely a big asset to any team he played on.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man...exceptional 4 years where he was an absolute beast but not enough longevity

Schilling has like double the wins.
But playoffs, MadBum arguably best ever. Single handedly won a World Series in 2014 for example.

I don't think he's one but playoffs were mentioned.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The comp here is Jack Morris. IMHO, Morris should not be in the Hall, so I would say no to Bum. Bum does not have the regular season longevity of Morris or Schilling, though. However, he is still very young, so he could “refind” himself and add another 4-5 productive seasons.

Morris and Schilling, however, are very similar. No time to type out a comparison, but they are in the same ballpark in a lot of stats (with some trade offs). If you believe Morris belongs, than I think Schilling should be in. If you don’t think Morris should be in, than neither should Schilling.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The comp here is Jack Morris. IMHO, Morris should not be in the Hall, so I would say no to Bum. Bum does not have the regular season longevity of Morris or Schilling, though. However, he is still very young, so he could “refind” himself and add another 4-5 productive seasons.

Morris and Schilling, however, are very similar. No time to type out a comparison, but they are in the same ballpark in a lot of stats (with some trade offs). If you believe Morris belongs, than I think Schilling should be in. If you don’t think Morris should be in, than neither should Schilling.

When you considered era Schilling is nearly double Jack's WAR

I'm a Tigers fan but still think Schilling is better.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you considered era Schilling is nearly double Jack's WAR

I'm a Tigers fan but still think Schilling is better.
yeah I was thinking the same thing. They are both workhorses and the raw stats look similar. And their careers overlapped a little but the era Schilling played in had a much higher level of difficulty with all the offense from the early 90's on up. So stats like ERA+ and WAR show Schilling clearly better. That's not to take anything away from Morris though. The guy knew how to win a game. And he had 175 complete games to Schilling's 83 so there's that.

nynasty

nynasty
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,181.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think a better comp is Mussina. Both pitched in the exact same era, and their numbers are very similar-with Schilling's perhaps being a little better when you throw in his post-season success. Neither won a Cy Young, but Mussina had 5 top 5 finishes to Schilling's 4 top 5 finishes.

Hard to see why Moose gets in but Schilling still has to buy a ticket.

catman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a better comp is Mussina. Both pitched in the exact same era, and their numbers are very similar-with Schilling's perhaps being a little better when you throw in his post-season success. Neither won a Cy Young, but Mussina had 5 top 5 finishes to Schilling's 4 top 5 finishes.

Hard to see why Moose gets in but Schilling still has to buy a ticket.
Schilling's political views are likely what keeps him out. Outspoken people have a tendency to be ostracized.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schilling's political views are likely what keeps him out. Outspoken people have a tendency to be ostracized.
My gut agrees with this, but who else has been held out of a HOF because of political comments? Tim Hardaway is the only other one I can think of.

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

His douchebaggery has definitely kept him out of the hall......