• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hall of Fame Veterans' Committee Nominees

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Piazza
Bagwell
Ortiz
Selig

If these guys are in, there is no logical reason to keep B&C out.
Bud Selig is in the Hall of Fame? Yikes, that cheapens the whole thing for me. I guess he should be in the Brewers hall of fame for getting them out of the AL East......

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Clemens. He had a great career without the roids. For the life of me, I can't figure that one out. I hope he's the first of the roid era. Bonds didn't get that great until he started the roids, the rest of the list doesn't stand out as much as those 2 but Mattingly would be a nice gesture
Why am I not surprised you don't know dick about baseball

elguapo

I cannot think of anything clever to put here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,056.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Albert Belle, Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Don Mattingly, Fred McGriff, Dale Murphy, Rafael Palmiero, and Curt Schilling were nominated.
Who, if anyone on this list, gets in?
This is one of the many reasons i hate baseball. Schilling may be a pile of shit, but why is he not in? because he said dumb shit after he retired. Then go back and remove Ty Cobb from the hall because he was a true piece of shit. But that is not what the hall is about.

Yet, people want Barry in because of all he did and his numbers, never mind his head grew 8 hat sizes over the course of his career, he should still be in. There is no rhyme or reason other than feelz. Hall is not about feelz, it is about on the field performance

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is one of the many reasons i hate baseball. Schilling may be a pile of shit, but why is he not in? because he said dumb shit after he retired. Then go back and remove Ty Cobb from the hall because he was a true piece of shit. But that is not what the hall is about.

Yet, people want Barry in because of all he did and his numbers, never mind his head grew 8 hat sizes over the course of his career, he should still be in. There is no rhyme or reason other than feelz. Hall is not about feelz, it is about on the field performance
Ty Cobb wasn’t viewed as pos when he was the first inductee. He wasnt viewed as a racist either. He was viewed as the greatest baseball player ever.

Took a few decades for his reputation to be ruined by a fiction writer.

Schilling is borderline. So being a political cocksucker makes him wait. And that ketchup soaked sock was over the top. He may need to die to get in. Like Pete Rose.

elguapo

I cannot think of anything clever to put here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,056.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ty Cobb wasn’t viewed as pos when he was the first inductee. He wasnt viewed as a racist either. He was viewed as the greatest baseball player ever.

Took a few decades for his reputation to be ruined by a fiction writer.

Schilling is borderline. So being a political cocksucker makes him wait. And that ketchup soaked sock was over the top. He may need to die to get in. Like Pete Rose.
Fiction writer was not all wrong, may have over-exaggerated, yes. But again, what does statements after retirement have to do with HoF career on the field? Cant pick and choose what is acceptable. Feelz has no place in any sport HoF voting, clear and simple. And the fact that baseball wont do anything about it is pathetic.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Clemens. He had a great career without the roids. For the life of me, I can't figure that one out. I hope he's the first of the roid era. Bonds didn't get that great until he started the roids, the rest of the list doesn't stand out as much as those 2 but Mattingly would be a nice gesture
Disagree on the assessment of Bonds. He was on a Hall of Fame path before the steroids. He was a professional hitter.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my opinion, had Bonds retired in 2000, he would have been inducted in 2005.
yeah but he'd miss his prime years of ages 36-42

Actually Clemens too. The Mitchell report was later and they both did a lot after 2000 but through 2000 Bonds still had 3 MVPs and 500 homeruns and Clemens still had like 270 wins and some Cy Youngs and strikeout records.

Last edited:

catman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah but he'd miss his prime years of ages 36-42

Actually Clemens too. The Mitchell report was later and they both did a lot after 2000 but through 2000 Bonds still had 3 MVPs and 500 homeruns and Clemens still had like 270 wins and some Cy Youngs and strikeout records.
You're right, but how much of the age 36-42 came out of a syringe?
My point is that he didn't need all those numbers to be a Hall of Famer.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right, but how much of the age 36-42 came out of a syringe?
My point is that he didn't need all those numbers to be a Hall of Famer.
Yes that was a joke. 36-42 is generally not the offensive prime for a baseball player. But I'm just saying if he retired after the 2000 season he still would probably make the hall of fame on the first ballot.

In retrospect, MLB should have handled the whole thing completely different. In the mid 90's they should have just said "we see a lot of guys using drugs that we believe are bad for their long term health so we are going to begin testing for a list of drugs which are now illegal in mlb". Instead they did what they did (which is a lot of nothing until years later when congress started nosing around) and for guys like Clemens and Bonds and many others the cover up became worse than the "crime". (as far as we know. Those 2 guys in particular and many others never actually tested positive once they started testing and suspending)

Last edited:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes that was a joke. 36-42 is generally not the offensive prime for a baseball player. But I'm just saying if he retired after the 2000 season he still would probably make the hall of fame on the first ballot.

In retrospect, MLB should have handled the whole thing completely different. In the mid 90's they should have just said "we see a lot of guys using drugs that we believe are bad for their long term health so we are going to begin testing for a list of drugs which are now illegal in mlb". Instead they did what they did (which is a lot of nothing until years later when congress started nosing around) and for guys like Clemens and Bonds and many others the cover up became worse than the "crime". (as far as we know. Those 2 guys in particular and many others never actually tested positive once they started testing and suspending)
Unless there were suppressed positive tests once the rules were officially changed, neither of them ever in fact tested positive. But this is the first time I have even heard the hint of any suppressed positive tests (not saying you are alleging it, just saying I have never even heard it discussed as a potiality).

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless there were suppressed positive tests once the rules were officially changed, neither of them ever in fact tested positive. But this is the first time I have even heard the hint of any suppressed positive tests (not saying you are alleging it, just saying I have never even heard it discussed as a potiality).
No I don't have any inside information about suppressed positive tests, I just worded that a little ambiguously. What I'm trying to say is ideally mlb would have tackled the problem way before they did, like early 90's . They should have said they were worried about the dangers of steroids and would begin suspending violators. Anything anyone did up until now was fine but going forward there will be penalties. But the way they handled it was to say "don't do it" but with no repercussion for basically the 90's up until 2005 or something. That never works in baseball. Players get away with as much as they can get away with. They will bend any rule they can until there is a rule change. But the rule change has to come with a penalty. Then when congress got involved they all lied about it. Shocking. That's what baseball players do, for better or worse.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I don't have any inside information about suppressed positive tests, I just worded that a little ambiguously. What I'm trying to say is ideally mlb would have tackled the problem way before they did, like early 90's . They should have said they were worried about the dangers of steroids and would begin suspending violators. Anything anyone did up until now was fine but going forward there will be penalties. But the way they handled it was to say "don't do it" but with no repercussion for basically the 90's up until 2005 or something. That never works in baseball. Players get away with as much as they can get away with. They will bend any rule they can until there is a rule change. But the rule change has to come with a penalty. Then when congress got involved they all lied about it. Shocking. That's what baseball players do, for better or worse.
You are actually over-stating what MLB did. All that happened was that Vincent released a memo saying he didn’t want players to “juice”. Thats it. It wasn’t a rule. It was just his desire that players not use steroids. The people who call B&C “cheaters” like to reference this memo as proof that they cheated. But they didn’t cheat. The commissioners office didn’t have the power to implement a rule like that without going through the players union.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are actually over-stating what MLB did. All that happened was that Vincent released a memo saying he didn’t want players to “juice”. Thats it. It wasn’t a rule. It was just his desire that players not use steroids. The people who call B&C “cheaters” like to reference this memo as proof that they cheated. But they didn’t cheat. The commissioners office didn’t have the power to implement a rule like that without going through the players union.
Yeah not a great move putting out a memo then letting it simmer for a decade and a half before doing anything about it, while there are increasing whispers and players lying as public opinion slowly changes, to the point where people get called in to testify and then reporters call everyone from the 90's cheaters after the fact.

catman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congratulations to Fred McGriff on his election by the committee.
See you in Cooperstown, Crime Dawg!

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’ll put up the argument for Schilling. I think in addition to having solid numbers and a career of longevity you can’t tell the story of his era of baseball without talking about him. He pitched in a ton of big games and won his fair share of them and in those he lost, he kept his team in those games. I think it’s something special when a pitcher can take the ball in a big game and go out and perform.

Another thing that has pushed me over the top of Schilling is the idea floating around now that his politics and outspoken nature in the public eye has harmed his candidacy. That bothers me. The decision should be purely about the baseball.

Yes. Schilling is a douche but his playoff performances make him a hall of famer

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was against any roiders getting in, but the second Bagwell got in, that opened everything up. Now I have no problem letting all of the juicers in.

This.

It's so stupid. We are going to pretend Jeff Bagwell wasn't on the juice? So dumb.

Clemens,Bonda and A Rod are all top 20 all time guys and they should be in.