• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hall of Fame Veterans' Committee Nominees

catman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Albert Belle, Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Don Mattingly, Fred McGriff, Dale Murphy, Rafael Palmiero, and Curt Schilling were nominated.
Who, if anyone on this list, gets in?

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many years can they stay on this list?

Bonds, Clemens, Palmeiro are all deserving except for that little problem they all had. McGriff should have been in years ago. No on the other three.

catman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bonds, Clemens, Palmeiro are all deserving except for that little problem they all had. McGriff should have been in years ago. No on the other three.
Right now, its just this year. Next year, they'll move to another era. This is a list of players whose best years were from 1980 to the present.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think maybe Dale Murphy too but agree. Not so sure about Palmeiro but I guess he has some magic number counting stats.

The veterans are even more sanctimonious about PEDs so I doubt this helps Bonds or Clemens right away. Gonna need more old school voters to die.

They'll get in eventually but probably not for a while longer (20 years?)

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now, its just this year. Next year, they'll move to another era. This is a list of players whose best years were from 1980 to the present.
Next year it will be 1981 to the present? Or 1990, or what?

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Albert Belle was a jerk but there was a 7 or 8 year period where the guy was among the most feared hitters in the game. 9 straight years with over 100 RBI's and led the league 3 times. Still don't see him getting in but if I had a vote I'd vote for him.

Homers choice but Don Mattingly was great before the back injury. 1 MVP, a runner up at MVP, a batting title and 9 gold gloves.

Not voting for the roiders.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These are getting hard to predict. I think Bonds/Clemens are a package deal with Palmeiro slightly behind but who knows if they are ready to put them in yet. One thing about a lot of veterans committee inductees is they tend to value longevity. I think the best 10 years of all the guys on the list are as good or better than the best 10 years of recent inductees but the veterans committee seems to like the guys that stay in the league longer and amass the big totals. With that in mind, I'll go with McGriff.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These are getting hard to predict. I think Bonds/Clemens are a package deal with Palmeiro slightly behind but who knows if they are ready to put them in yet. One thing about a lot of veterans committee inductees is they tend to value longevity. I think the best 10 years of all the guys on the list are as good or better than the best 10 years of recent inductees but the veterans committee seems to like the guys that stay in the league longer and amass the big totals. With that in mind, I'll go with McGriff.
I think they tend to like the longevity guys because longevity guys are the type that don’t get recognized by the writers. The writers will induct the “flash in the pan” players while ignoring the “slow and steady” guys. Therefore, the vet committee is stuck putting the “slow and steady” guys in.

I will always argue that B&C belong in. But the vet committee putting them in the very next year after the hubbub surrounding them would be a bit of a slap in the face to the writers, and I get the sense that while they are different, the vet committee will want to honor the writers, at least for a short while. Of this group, I think Murphy and McGriff have the best chances. FTR, I think Murphy is one of the most under-rated players of the last 50 years. He isn’t “inner-circle HOF”, but I think he is a HOFer.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the vet committee looks at a different group each year. I would guess they won’t look at these guys again for at least 5 years.
OK then, no way those old heads let the roiders in now. Gonna be a while.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they tend to like the longevity guys because longevity guys are the type that don’t get recognized by the writers. The writers will induct the “flash in the pan” players while ignoring the “slow and steady” guys. Therefore, the vet committee is stuck putting the “slow and steady” guys in.

I will always argue that B&C belong in. But the vet committee putting them in the very next year after the hubbub surrounding them would be a bit of a slap in the face to the writers, and I get the sense that while they are different, the vet committee will want to honor the writers, at least for a short while. Of this group, I think Murphy and McGriff have the best chances. FTR, I think Murphy is one of the most under-rated players of the last 50 years. He isn’t “inner-circle HOF”, but I think he is a HOFer.
Yeah Murphy won the MVP 3 times which is pretty rare so he had the respect when he was playing. But his last few years might have hurt him. Not just because he didn't do much but because it pushed back him getting on the ballot until the late 90's, when people were putting up crazy offensive numbers. So some of his great seasons might not have looked as good.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’ll put up the argument for Schilling. I think in addition to having solid numbers and a career of longevity you can’t tell the story of his era of baseball without talking about him. He pitched in a ton of big games and won his fair share of them and in those he lost, he kept his team in those games. I think it’s something special when a pitcher can take the ball in a big game and go out and perform.

Another thing that has pushed me over the top of Schilling is the idea floating around now that his politics and outspoken nature in the public eye has harmed his candidacy. That bothers me. The decision should be purely about the baseball.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bonds/Clemens/Schilling. On the fence with Palmiero (hardly ever great, compiler). No on the rest.

nynasty

nynasty
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,181.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate Curt Schilling with the white hot intensity of a thousand suns, but he should be in.

Janus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Clemens. He had a great career without the roids. For the life of me, I can't figure that one out. I hope he's the first of the roid era. Bonds didn't get that great until he started the roids, the rest of the list doesn't stand out as much as those 2 but Mattingly would be a nice gesture

catman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who believes only a handful were roiding? Roids are part of MLB history, if they are the best of their era put them in.
I agree. Put them in posthumously.

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Clemens. He had a great career without the roids. For the life of me, I can't figure that one out. I hope he's the first of the roid era. Bonds didn't get that great until he started the roids, the rest of the list doesn't stand out as much as those 2 but Mattingly would be a nice gesture

When did Bonds start doing roids? 97-98? He was a three time MVP before roids with his third one coming in 1993…..He didn’t need the roids as well as Clemens for greatness…..