• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Haley is out of Pittsburgh

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the amount of talent that has been provided to that room since Lake took over, you would think Lake would have been on the hotseat already. His first big failure was letting Keenan Lewis walk and choosing Cortez Allen to stay. That didn't pan out well at all.

2017:
3- Sutton
5- Brian Allen

2016:
1- Burns
2- Davis

2015:
2- Golson
4- Grant
7- Holliman

2014:
5- Richardson

2013:
4- Thomas
5- Hawthorne

2012:
3- Brown
4- Allen

Not many of these names that didn't pan out are productive on other teams...that a bigger indictment on Colbert/Tomlin than Lake...but they aimed higher in '16 and so far the jury is still out on both. Lake has to own that and we'll see what happens with Sutton and Allen, but Lake shouldn't be feeling all that well about his performance.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't realize there was this much angst against Haley from Steeler nation. Their offense was rolling this year. If he has to fall on the sword because of the Jaguar debacle, then Tomlin should be booted as well IMO.

Understand the Steelers MO right now...they realize the playoff window closes the day Ben hangs it up. He's under-contract for 2 more seasons.

I think Tomlin okayed it, but Haley was a Rooney hire. PA guy, his father had connections with the Steelers in the past iirc, they thought he could rein in Ben's game. Quicker passes, less holding and ad lipping, fewer hits...better running game than Arians who they felt had become too chummy with Ben.

I said that to say the relationship has worked largely because he has a top 2 RB and top 2 WR, but it's not been a smooth one. Haley is the classic OC that can move the ball in between the 20s, but in the RZ vs good DEF...(typically what you will face in the playoffs) he struggles.

While I agree that Tomlin should be on the hotseat, but with only 2 seasons left with Ben max, (one that he's committed to play) for Ben, they're not going to turn the apple cart completely over. If Ben was playing 3 or 4 more seasons...plenty of time get up to speed with a new staff, new OFC, etc. I could see Tomlin being in more trouble after this season.

As it is, they are mostly built to win now...very expensive OL, the weapons...if they don't win a title with Ben...I could see them turning the entire staff over with a new QB.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Understand the Steelers MO right now...they realize the playoff window closes the day Ben hangs it up. He's under-contract for 2 more seasons.

I think Tomlin okayed it, but Haley was a Rooney hire. PA guy, his father had connections with the Steelers in the past iirc, they thought he could rein in Ben's game. Quicker passes, less holding and ad lipping, fewer hits...better running game than Arians who they felt had become too chummy with Ben.

I said that to say the relationship has worked largely because he has a top 2 RB and top 2 WR, but it's not been a smooth one. Haley is the classic OC that can move the ball in between the 20s, but in the RZ vs good DEF...(typically what you will face in the playoffs) he struggles.

While I agree that Tomlin should be on the hotseat, but with only 2 seasons left with Ben max, (one that he's committed to play) for Ben, they're not going to turn the apple cart completely over. If Ben was playing 3 or 4 more seasons...plenty of time get up to speed with a new staff, new OFC, etc. I could see Tomlin being in more trouble after this season.

As it is, they are mostly built to win now...very expensive OL, the weapons...if they don't win a title with Ben...I could see them turning the entire staff over with a new QB.
this couldnt be more spot on:agree:

NorthCoastSteelersFan

Sleep...now.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Serious questions, Steelers fans:

Bell has had a lot of success under Haley. Do you have any concern that a new OC might not be as compatible with Bell as Haley was? Might this sway your preference to move Bell now while stock is high?

They weren't that compatible. Ben hated Haley's guts at first, though the two eventually achieved a somewhat uneasy truce.

I'd like to see the new OC give Ben a lot more discretion. He knows his job as well as any QB in the league. Hell, I'd like to see him call his own plays most of the time. Bradshaw did, and he got 4 SB rings, with a lot less upstairs.

NorthCoastSteelersFan

Sleep...now.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They weren't that compatible. Ben hated Haley's guts at first, though the two eventually achieved a somewhat uneasy truce.

I'd like to see the new OC give Ben a lot more discretion. He knows his job as well as any QB in the league. Hell, I'd like to see him call his own plays most of the time. Bradshaw did, and he got 4 SB rings, with a lot less upstairs.

Oops...shit...you were talking about Bell, not Ben.

Sorry...time to look into reading glasses.

But addressing your actual question, I think that Bell would do well under any OC.

dbldwn711

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO this changes very very little if anything. I know Haley was the whipping boy (I remember Arians was the whipping boy before him) but the offense wasn't the problem. Ok... He didn't get along with Ben. Got it. We'll see if this move gets Pitts "over the hump" as to the Pats. I tend to doubt it but... we'll see. What is more interesting to me (a non steelers fan) is who will become the new whipping boy when the players don't execute on the field. My guess is Tomlin but time will tell.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sweet mother of mercy let this be true

WHOOHOOO!!!

YEAH! WOO HOO!! YES! YES!! YES!!! :clap::suds::clap: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

haha You dumbasses pretending he was the problem

giphy.gif

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

giphy.gif

Wait, you root for the browns. Right? Nothing you say about anything in regards to NFL-based decisions currently holds any validity. When your team wins more than one game in 2 calendar seasons, then you can legitimately opine

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait, you root for the browns. Right? Nothing you say about anything in regards to NFL-based decisions currently holds any validity. When your team wins more than one game in 2 calendar seasons, then you can legitimately opine
So now fan knowledge and validity of opinion is based purely on the record of that fan's team?

You're retarded

close door .gif

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Near guaranteed it'll be Tomlin as nobody is blaming Ben in 200 mile radius of Pittsburgh.
Tomlin due the talent on his squad has given him plenty of free passes. If it wasn't thr Rooney's MO to keep coaches for ever combined wit all that talent Tomlin would've been run out of most towns. Good coach who makes a lot of dumb decisions.

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think this decision was made the second Ben announced he was returning for next season. Ben never liked Haley.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think this decision was made the second Ben announced he was returning for next season. Ben never liked Haley.

This is heading in the right direction.

Ben actually announced he was returning before the JAX playoff game...I think he knew Haley was not long for that job already.

NorthCoastSteelersFan

Sleep...now.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

giphy.gif

Haley was definitely a big PART of the problem...and only a dumbass could fail to see that.

The other parts were defensive shortcomings, and to at least a degree, a lack of leadership and discipline on Tomlin's part.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol... Do you have a fathead of Haley above your bed or something?

@Superbelt

I just chuckle at the thought of holding an OC responsible for a playoff loss when he is directly responsible for the play calling that resulted in them being ranked so high in scoring. I mean, they put up 42 against a damn good defense last week but yet, Haley gets criticized.

Crazy shit.