• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Golf for the average hacker

MTVike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And forged blades at that. Like butter.

USGA has put out guidance on tees based on length (below) but I ascribe to the move back when you can break 80 from a tee set.

Break 80 from the reds? Move to the golds.
Break 80 from the golds? Move to the whites.
Break 80 from the whites? Move to the blues.
Break 80 from the blues? Move to the tips.

A course near me starts kids on the green and moves back in 50 yard increments. You don't move back until you shoot par from that distance. Focus on the short game and build off of that.

2023-06-16-r-posters
This might make sense for the casual player and golf courses like it because it moves people through faster.

But for most relatively serious players, USGA handicap then becomes meaningless for tournament play or other competitions.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
80?! get the fuck out of here with that number.

I'd set it at 90

but I don't think removing distance will help some people.
I've only broke 80 once, and that was this year.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've only broke 80 once, and that was this year.
once is all you need! you can move back to the tips now!

just make sure you have a record of it and can supply proof if the starter were to ask you

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
once is all you need! you can move back to the tips now!

just make sure you have a record of it and can supply proof if the starter were to ask you
A couple of guys we play with like going off the gold, they're trying to convince me i should be doing that because I'm older than they are.

I 've done it a couple of times, sure makes the course shorter, but i can still find a way to get in trouble.

Going off different tees will give you a new perspective of the course. Playing from forward tees is like fucking a fat chick, fun, but you don't want your friends to catch you doing it.

MTVike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple of guys we play with like going off the gold, they're trying to convince me i should be doing that because I'm older than they are.

I 've done it a couple of times, sure makes the course shorter, but i can still find a way to get in trouble.

Going off different tees will give you a new perspective of the course. Playing from forward tees is like fucking a fat chick, fun, but you don't want your friends to catch you doing it.
And that's another thing, tee markers are different depending on the course. The gold tees at my course are the back tees, making one of the par 3's 222 yards. Blues are standard men's tees, white are senior, red are women's. I think they also have some markers in front of the women's for little kids.

Obviously I know where the senior (forward? but wouldn't that be women's?) tees are on my course, but it seems different everywhere else.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd try it out for a round...see how it felt and work a different part of my game.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that's another thing, tee markers are different depending on the course. The gold tees at my course are the back tees, making one of the par 3's 222 yards. Blues are standard men's tees, white are senior, red are women's. I think they also have some markers in front of the women's for little kids.

Obviously I know where the senior (forward? but wouldn't that be women's?) tees are on my course, but it seems different everywhere else.
Our course, red is forward (usually women) and gold are seniors. Because we play together, it's not really fair to my wife if I'm teeing off only a couple of yards behind her. Unfortunately, as women get older, they can't move to a forward tee.

MTVike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our course, red is forward (usually women) and gold are seniors. Because we play together, it's not really fair to my wife if I'm teeing off only a couple of yards behind her. Unfortunately, as women get older, they can't move to a forward tee.
Yeah, it is one size is supposed to fit all for women. My buddy's daughter, who is a pretty good sized gal, regularly crushes it past him when they play together and also tears it up in her league. Men also have a Senior league, while the women just have a "Tuesday morning league". So, if you want to play against someone closer to you in age you play Tuesday morning if you can, as a woman.

My men's league has allowed me to move up to the white tees during competition, I don't have to join the Senior league to do that.

foster4prez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
80?! get the fuck out of here with that number.

I'd set it at 90

but I don't think removing distance will help some people.
90 is fair to move back from the front tees. But you shouldn't be playing the back tees without a single digit handicap.

This might make sense for the casual player and golf courses like it because it moves people through faster.

But for most relatively serious players, USGA handicap then becomes meaningless for tournament play or other competitions.
How so? Handicap adjusts for which tee you play.

MTVike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
90 is fair to move back from the front tees. But you shouldn't be playing the back tees without a single digit handicap.

How so? Handicap adjusts for which tee you play.
Does the handicap system adjust for the fact that I'm an 18 year old guy playing from the reds?

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can agree with that

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does the handicap system adjust for the fact that I'm an 18 year old guy playing from the reds?
I was never a fan of carrying a handicap, if i can't beat you, I can't beat you.

DonMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
reminds me of when I was in high school in Ithaca. There was one public 9 hole course that I played all the time. The first hole was a par 5, where really long hitters (280+) could carry the ball over the top of the hill and turn it into a two shot hole. I was having a discussion with a friend of mine who told me he regularly carried it that far. I was naturally skeptical, so I inquired further and found out he was golfing with his mother and playing from the women's tees.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think basing off handicap is a mistake. I can drive a ball pretty damn far, but I have the worst short game in the history of mankind. Moving me closer is not going to cut down on my 4 puts.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On a different note, I'm thinking of adding more hybrids to my bag, at least until my shoulders are repaired...they're so much easier to hit.

Reactions: ill

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't. I measure myself against me.
same. I basically play against the course/conditions and against myself.

if there is another golfer with me, I am cheering for them to play great golf.

unless it's my friend Pete. He and I play for skins...and shotgun beers when either of us do well

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On a different note, I'm thinking of adding more hybrids to my bag, at least until my shoulders are repaired...they're so much easier to hit.
I don't think you will go back once you add them