• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Going forward into next season

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is going on with Patterson (and Battle) guys?? Normal attrition, grades or something else? I thought I read that in practice (summer, maybe spring too) that he was looking pretty good at RB.

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Battle is going to have his degree and honestly wouldnt see much PT. Its in his and his familys (yes he has a child) to just get out into the workforce. As for Patterson its not grades, just attrition. Only 11 guys can play at one time.

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The writing was on the wall for Patterson when he switched to RB. Rarely does that work out. Only a few guys like Drager and Hopper are able to still contribute.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Battle is going to have his degree and honestly wouldnt see much PT. Its in his and his familys (yes he has a child) to just get out into the workforce. As for Patterson its not grades, just attrition. Only 11 guys can play at one time.

Understood. Good luck to them if this happens. Hopefully Patterson can go somewhere where he can get some significant playing time. ODU, Hampton, or Norfolk St. seem like good candidates.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Going forward:

I wish that we would realize that we are not a power run football team and completely abandon any play with a true fullback or multiple TE's. We just dont dont/cant recruit the type of OL it takes for "smash mouth" football. We need to focus on 4 wr or twin tailback looks. We saw glances of that this year and seemed to move the ball pretty well, only prob was that Beamer would get conservative in the RZ and go back to his 3 yards and a cloud of dust mentality. We just dont have the guys it takes to run that plus knowing its coming makes it even easier to defend. I want to see more bubble screens, read option, and power options, etc. RB is one of our strongest recruiting positions, Sherman always has his WR's ready to block, and we've had a mobile QB for the better part of the past 20 years.

FWIW i would like to run a spread offense that resembles a mix between chip and brian kelly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fetti

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
RE: attrition

This is why Beamer is a heavy defendant of football scholarships being 1-year renewable agreements. If they were guaranteed for 4 years not only could you have more disciplinary problems, but you wouldn't be able to move on from players that have gotten buried in the depth chart and still sign the # of players we plan on signing in this class.

Attrition happens every year, and it's better for both parties this way

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RE: attrition

This is why Beamer is a heavy defendant of football scholarships being 1-year renewable agreements. If they were guaranteed for 4 years not only could you have more disciplinary problems, but you wouldn't be able to move on from players that have gotten buried in the depth chart and still sign the # of players we plan on signing in this class.

Attrition happens every year, and it's better for both parties this way

Yep, as funny as it sounds I think some attrition is a sign of a good football program. At big time powerhouse programs it is often commonplace and to see a mass exodus of 5 players a year is not uncommon. It shows that we recruit mostly very good athletes that can play at this level, but frankly just cannot break through the depth chart. IMO alot of the players that we have lost in the most recent years are guys who I feel could be (and have been) significant contributors at other FBS (or at least quality FCS) schools. It is definitely better for everyone. Gives these kids a second chance to get playing time at quality FCS schools in the Commonwealth and elsewhere (I think we have some of the best) and opens up new opportunities for the new guys to get a shot.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any more to the rumours about us opening the season against GT? If we open at home against GT and finish at home against UVA that puts a lot of road games together in the middle against the likes of Clemson, Miami, and UNC and a home with FSU mixed in. Probably our toughest conference schedule since we joined the ACC.

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GT Labor Day. Austin Peay the following weekend. Pitt the 15th.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about the Cincinatti game at Fedex?? Havent found a date on that yet. Would think it might be first up, prior to the start of the NFL season. But hopefully later.

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
GT Labor Day. Austin Peay the following weekend. Pitt the 15th.

This had been rumored and now we know why Austin Peay was scheduled. VT did not want to give up its bye week right after Labor Day, so a bad 1-AA team was scheduled.

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Labor Day

DO NOT WANT!

I'm game for any opponent any weekend, but week nights suck so bad, and Labor Day is the worst for me. Thursday twice a year is tough, but at least its at the tail of the work week and its consistent every year. A Monday game just screws up my entire week. Wife can't go on Labor Day, work is screwed up all week, and traffic is horrible everywhere on Labor Day.

Please Lord, no Labor Day game :pray2:

Edit: With that said, I'll still drag my ass there, so whatever. I'm a hopeless fool.

Last edited by a moderator:

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DO NOT WANT!

I'm game for any opponent any weekend, but week nights suck so bad, and Labor Day is the worst for me. Thursday twice a year is tough, but at least its at the tail of the work week and its consistent every year. A Monday game just screws up my entire week. Wife can't go on Labor Day, work is screwed up all week, and traffic is horrible everywhere on Labor Day.

Please Lord, no Labor Day game :pray2:

True, but I'd gladly welcome a Labor Day game against GT. That would give our defense the entire pre-season to prepare for the triple choption.

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
One thing to keep in mind is that a quarter of our schedule revolves around NFL stadiums (Miami, Cincy, Pitt). I don't know when the NFL schedule is complete, but we probably will not have our schedule until the NFL's is released.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing to keep in mind is that a quarter of our schedule revolves around NFL stadiums (Miami, Cincy, Pitt). I don't know when the NFL schedule is complete, but we probably will not have our schedule until the NFL's is released.
but the NFL doesn't play on Saturdays