• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Going forward into next season

Fetti

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The coaches shit themselves in getting DW more touches in the bowl game. They tried to do a jet sweep with him as the new way to get him the ball.

Why not put him in the slot and send him straight down field more? He will run by anyone covering him in man and will draw the safety super deep and open up huge holes in the zone. They way they used his abilities was like using a gun as a club. It might get the job done but pulling the trigger would work better.

Still kinda makes me a little sick. I know David, his parents, and his sister personally. During his recruiting David was led to believe he would get alot of opportunities in the slot and out in space as a reciever. Sadly, it never came to fruition.

In 2010 we saw a flash of what David could do (234 recieving yards, 4 rec TD's). And one of the first things Shane said when he came in and watched last year's tape was that David could be a MAJOR threat at slot, and that Shane thought they could "DOUBLE" his production there. Of course that never happened, and David had like 125 rec. yards this year with 1 TD.

That goes to show you, no matter who we bring onto the offensive staff, the philosophy is going to stay the same.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Replacements for DW

Nice little write up by AB...

http://blogs.roanoke.com/andybitter...replace-david-wilson-here-are-the-contenders/

Have heard alot of really good things about Holmes (on here and elsewhere)and expect him to step up big in the spring. I think JC Coleman coming in early GREATLY improves his stock and chances to play this year. If he performs well, picks up the system, and playbook, there is a great chance he and Holmes will be 1 and 2 in '12. Also heard some bits and pieces about Patterson awhile back. May be a great fullback in the future or short yardage type RB. With Gregory out all spring I believe this will set him way back. He hasn't impressed me much in the last couple years and I have doubts of whether he can be our true #1 RB.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice little write up by AB...

http://blogs.roanoke.com/andybitter...replace-david-wilson-here-are-the-contenders/

Have heard alot of really good things about Holmes (on here and elsewhere)and expect him to step up big in the spring. I think JC Coleman coming in early GREATLY improves his stock and chances to play this year. If he performs well, picks up the system, and playbook, there is a great chance he and Holmes will be 1 and 2 in '12. Also heard some bits and pieces about Patterson awhile back. May be a great fullback in the future or short yardage type RB. With Gregory out all spring I believe this will set him way back. He hasn't impressed me much in the last couple years and I have doubts of whether he can be our true #1 RB.

I don't have any stats handy, but man it seems like Gregory has fumbled once out of every 3 or 4 touches he's had over the last couple years.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
...Really there are only relatively small adjustments to the offense I'd make. Offensive philosophy is a hot topic in the Tech community, but I really think we are on the right track. We just put our QB, RB, and offense as a whole in the record book for most yards in a season. He just put our WRs in the record book for most yards in a career and catches in a season and career. I'd like to see more players involved in a variety of plays that feature their less used skills. I'd also like to reassess the offensive line philosophy, especially with the turnover in starters.

Defense is back to themselves. We had innovative game plans this season, that helped overcome significant injuries. GT was a prime example of that innovation and the flexibility of our current players. East Carolina, Virginia, and Michigan games were extremely impressive. With key individuals back next season, we are going to be a very fun team to watch.

I'm actually encouraged with the turnover in special teams. It gives us a fresh start. New kickers and punters are the first order of business, but on the other end, I'd like to focus more on the returning punts than blocking them. Despite the large decline in blocks, we've remained somewhat constant in returning punts, and actually gotten a little better with fakes (Virginia and GT come to mind immediately). We can focus on this one area of strength here. The same can be said for Kickoffs, where we've had penalties hurt significant returns. Force them to fear the return, and it will open up lanes for a block.

In the grand scheme, blocking kicks was great when we were the underdog, because it was our edge over the competition. Now that the defense is our huge advantage and the offense is diversifying, we need to shift to a more conventional special teams philosophy. A block here or a WELL planned fake there, are sufficient additions to our overall team. LSU this season is a great model.

Great post.

I agree with pretty much everything you said. I just rewatched the Sugar Bowl in its entirety, and was surprised that the play calling was better than I thought. While I have to wonder if some kind of "straight up the middle" play could have been used, the mix of run/pass was pretty good. The play where they went for it on 4th and 1 was a judgment call, and I would have done the same thing. The fake punt was clearly a bad call, but I think we all get that.

The one thing I'd criticize is the tendency to stick to the run in the red zone, even if it's not working. Why not utilize the pass more? Sure, you're going to get an interception here and there, but they way they're playing it now, you're only giving up the potential of 3 points, and the opponent gets the ball deep in their own territory, assuming your offense is prepared to stop them and not let them go all the way. OK, maybe I'm starting to see the reason why...

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how many more seasons Beamer will be in a HC position...

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how many more seasons Beamer will be in a HC position...

Why is this? Most speculate he retires after 2016 season. He turns 70 and 30 years as HC and his contract expires then. Or is this what you were thinking?

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just I've heard he is much more apt to retiring earlier than that now. Not saying this year is his last but I think we could see it sooner than 2016. Everyone knows he wouldn't even discuss it before and almost got offended when people brought it up in the past, but just saying I've heard after the Sugar Bowl he is more open to it.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just I've heard he is much more apt to retiring earlier than that now. Not saying this year is his last but I think we could see it sooner than 2016. Everyone knows he wouldn't even discuss it before and almost got offended when people brought it up in the past, but just saying I've heard after the Sugar Bowl he is more open to it.

Interesting. I feel like he will stick it out personally. He set it up perfectly and is recruiting better than ever and has some of his best teams lately. If we win a NC before then or maybe a BCS bowl I could see him going out after that to end on top but more likely it would have to be a NC

jermadams

HOKIES!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
not sure that Dominique Patterson will be back for VT next year..

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Why is this? Most speculate he retires after 2016 season. He turns 70 and 30 years as HC and his contract expires then. Or is this what you were thinking?

His coaching contract ends in 2016 but there is a provision in there that would allow him to stay on as an assistant to the AD for up to 8 years afterwards. I've said for a long time that I highly doubt beamer "retires" when he stops coaching. FWIW I think there is at least some possibility that Beamer ends up as our next AD.

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fairly solid. We have a month before signing day. It'd be damn near impossible to reestablish a connection and convince someone to jump ship in that small window. It'd be even more difficult to get in on a top recruit we haven't been in contact with at all. Lockhart really fucked us over.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His coaching contract ends in 2016 but there is a provision in there that would allow him to stay on as an assistant to the AD for up to 8 years afterwards. I've said for a long time that I highly doubt beamer "retires" when he stops coaching. FWIW I think there is at least some possibility that Beamer ends up as our next AD.

Aye I expect him to stay around and that would not surprise me at all if he is AD down the road.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Four players decide to leave Virginia Tech football program - Hokies Journal - The Washington Post

"Defensive tackle Isaiah Hamlette (Brooke Point High), quarterback Ju-Ju Clayton, defensive lineman Dwight Tucker and offensive guard Courtney Prince all have one year of eligibility left, but will not return to the team next season."

"With those four scholarship openings, Beamer’s site also reported that the Hokies plan to have four early enrollees in January. Two of them will be running back J.C. Coleman and defensive end DeWayne Alford. The other two were not announced by the site because they have not signed their acceptance letters yet."

hokiecheme11

Mr. Manager
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Four players decide to leave Virginia Tech football program - Hokies Journal - The Washington Post

"Defensive tackle Isaiah Hamlette (Brooke Point High), quarterback Ju-Ju Clayton, defensive lineman Dwight Tucker and offensive guard Courtney Prince all have one year of eligibility left, but will not return to the team next season."

"With those four scholarship openings, Beamer’s site also reported that the Hokies plan to have four early enrollees in January. Two of them will be running back J.C. Coleman and defensive end DeWayne Alford. The other two were not announced by the site because they have not signed their acceptance letters yet."

Is Donaldven Manning still enrolling early? Der'woun Greene won't be able to and Lockhart obviously isn't anymore