• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

goalie by the end of the draft?

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he could get an incentive based contract. the bonus money does not count against the cap. so he could get a nice contract and we would be happy because not all of the money counts against the cap.

seriously, he would be our best goalie in 20 years. i wanted bernier although it would be a huge risk. trading a proven 40 goal scorer for a goalie who is good in the ahl. leighton was good in the ahl. also, if bernier did play well then our cap situation would be horrible next year. he would need a new contract also.

if nabokov signs for a reasonable cap hit, it is probably our best option.

The incentive based contract you speak of is the only way to sign Nabokov and still have room to sign everyone else we need to sign. This is a guy who made $5.375 million last season!!! That's a real number right there...one we can't handle...

I'm sure he'd take a huge pay cut to sign with the Flyers though...lol :rolleyes:

anderwho2513

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ya.. career 2.39 GAA and .912 in the regular season is terrible
'but he chokes in the playoffs!!'.. 2.29 GAA and .914 playoff stats.. aka he gets better..

Regular Season sv% (playoff sv%):
2010: .922 (.907)
2009: .910 (.890)
2008: .910 (.907)
2007: .914 (.920)
2006: .885 (DNP)
2004: .921 (.935)
2003: .906 (DNP)
2002: .918 (.904)
2001: .915 (.903)

He's bettered his play in the playoffs in 2 of his 7 seasons in which he played majority of the games in both the regular season and playoffs, and he hasn't done it since 2007. Those sv% the last 3 playoffs are shockingly horrible. That's why he gets the choker label. And deservedly so.

scottflyers88

Lets Go Flyers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
not really. you know that the team makes a big impact on the goalie. when your team plays poorly or you are a first round exit you are going to have worse stats.

remember when you are in the regular season you are playing good teams and bad teams so your average will work out better. in the playoffs, especially if you are a lower seed, you are only facing good teams so your numbers will drop if your team is outplayed.

also, you want mason who has been awful in any high pressure situation.

anderwho2513

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not really. you know that the team makes a big impact on the goalie. when your team plays poorly or you are a first round exit you are going to have worse stats.

remember when you are in the regular season you are playing good teams and bad teams so your average will work out better. in the playoffs, especially if you are a lower seed, you are only facing good teams so your numbers will drop if your team is outplayed.

also, you want mason who has been awful in any high pressure situation.

You used the overall numbers to show people that Nabokov isn't as big a choker as people claim to be, but now that the numbers have changed and don't support you anymore, you offer excuses as to why the numbers are deceiving. There's a term for that. It begins with an h and rhymes with schmypocrite.

scottflyers88

Lets Go Flyers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
ok you call nabokov a choker and want mason because he is so great in the playoffs i guess? getting there a whole 2 times and choking in the first. or so the numbers would suggest. all i am saying is that overall his numbers increase. and even if they only did in 2 postseasons, it does not mean he chokes. he does not really dip so far below his regular season numbers that i would call it choking. we all know, joe thorton and the sharks top line are the real chokers.

nabokov would not be my first choice although for the right price i would like to have him. especially over guys like thomas, turco, and mason if their numbers would be equal.

anderwho2513

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lundqvist, like Mason, has never had a President's Trophy caliber team in front of him. Both of them have, by in large, been the only person on their team worthy of making of the playoffs, and the only thing you can fault on them is not going insane a la Halak.

Mason may have been swept 2 years ago, but with a .916 sv%, and the team in front of him scoring 5 times in 4 games, he is hardly to blame.

scottflyers88

Lets Go Flyers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
and you blame nabokov for every time thorton and the sharks did nothing? i agree that those teams did not have a president trophy team in front of them although the sharks have looked like an 8th seed team many times in the playoffs.