• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Giants trade Jonathan Sanchez to Royals

TheSaboteur

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sanchez and Ryan Verdugo for Melky Cabrera

Twitter

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sanchez and Ryan Verdugo for Melky Cabrera

Twitter

Like this deal a lot. Cabrera (most common last name in baseball) is fairly cheap, on the right side of 30, and had a much better year than I realized last year.

We needed to fix CF (and maybe SS too) and Crisp wasn't enough of an upgrade over Torres and Upton would have been too expensive in $$ and players.

Sanchez will be missed, he's not garbage, and we now lack pitching depth, but he was expendable. You gotta give to get.

TheSaboteur

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is his defense? The short little blurb on rotoworld about this trade said his defense was not great.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is his defense? The short little blurb on rotoworld about this trade said his defense was not great.

I can't say but it just needs to be average. We'll still have Torres on the bench but we needed to improve the lineup pure and simple. I'd take a decent hitting SS over Crawford too although it doesn't seem like that's available.

sfsportsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lotta mixed emotions with this trade.

durty pitched one of the biggest moments i've ever been in attendance for. i wanted to see him get another chance in the rotation this year. and im not sold on melky. looking at his career stats, it looks like a career year last year.

now someone come with some advanced stats and shut me down, lol.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am somewhat OK with the deal, but I am concerned that we are Buying High / Selling Low here. Melky is coming off a career year and Durty is coming off a lost year, riddled with injuries.

That could be read as we are getting a guy on the come while giving a guy who lost it, and I trust our FO enough to give them that benefit of the doubt, but I am a little concerned about it as well.

Giving Verdugo kinda sucks as well. He is our most MLB ready SP prospect outside of Surkamp. That further waters down our depth at the heart and soul of the organization.

Our SP depth chart is now...

Timmeh
Cain
Bum
VSong
Zito
Surkamp

Looks like we have to go after Williams and a few other AAAA guys just in case...

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple of thoughts as I digest the info:

1. I was always a Melky fan, and was surprised when he was non-tendered last year. I thought we should have made a play for him. He came up with Cano, and I thought at the time "fucking Yankees...all they need is two more studs from the minors."
2. We save about $1MM in payroll as Melky will get around $4MM and Durty would have gotten $5, so there's that. We also get to look at him for a year and decide if we want to keep him long term.
3. He's got good OBP skills, but is only an average defender. Torres will be brought back almost for sure now. OTOH, goodbye Boss.
4. If the org, known for developing pitchers, is willing to let Durty go, then I'm fairly satisfied he's not going to put up 2.0 WAR. I think Melky will.

It's not a HUGE move, but it does free up a little cash for Beltran and obviates the need for Breakfast Cereal -- who I never wanted anyway.

I'm good with this trade.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am somewhat OK with the deal, but I am concerned that we are Buying High / Selling Low here. Melky is coming off a career year and Durty is coming off a lost year, riddled with injuries.

That could be read as we are getting a guy on the come while giving a guy who lost it, and I trust our FO enough to give them that benefit of the doubt, but I am a little concerned about it as well.

Giving Verdugo kinda sucks as well. He is our most MLB ready SP prospect outside of Surkamp. That further waters down our depth at the heart and soul of the organization.

Our SP depth chart is now...

Timmeh
Cain
Bum
VSong
Zito
Surkamp

Looks like we have to go after Williams and a few other AAAA guys just in case...

Exactly. The trade has turned a three pitcher competition (Durty, Kamp, Zeets) into a two pitcher race. These are the types of trades that go relatively unnoticed but can end up making a huge impact on the season.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Melky Cabrera Stats - Kansas City Royals - ESPN

If Melky can play average to above average defense and bat around .275 with 12 - 15 homers and 15 - 20 steals, I'll be happy with this trade. May be a win/win trade?

Like Cal alluded to, it's a little scary "buying high", but then again, maybe last year was the real Melky. Regardless, hopefully Melky will fit in nicely here.

Good luck Durty; I wish you well in KC.....and thank you, thank you, thank you for 2010 (especially game 162).

Last edited by a moderator:

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Melky Cabrera Stats - Kansas City Royals - ESPN

If Melky can play average to above average defense and bat around .275 with 12 - 15 homers, I'll be happy with this trade. May be a win/win trade?

Like Cal alluded to, it's a little scary "buying high", but hopefully Melky will fit in nicely here.

Good luck Durty; I wish you well in KC.....and thank you, thank you, thank you for 2010 (especially game 162).

That's the beauty/craziness of baseball, you really can't know if you are 'buying high' or 'selling low', you can make educated guesses only.

The only times you are sure you aren't doing those is when you pick up a guy that has been good consistently for years on end, or deal a guy who's sucked the same way. And then of course you are either overpaying or getting nothing back.

And even then you never know. There was no way on earth to foresee Adam Dunn being such a disaster with his track record. Nor was there any way to see Vogelsong being so useful with his.

So deals like this you have to make. It has a reasonable chance of working out. Standing pat was not an option.

Nobody knows nuthin'.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My new projected 2012 lineup:

Cabrera CF
Freddy 2B
Buster C
Beltran LF
Panda 3B
Huff/Belt 1B
Nate RF
Stamos SS

SP: Tim/Cain/Bum/Song/Zeets
RP: Beard/Romo/Affeldt/Lopez/RamRam/Casilla/Kamp
Bench: Torres/Stewart/Pill/Fonty/Belt(Huff)

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the beauty/craziness of baseball, you really can't know if you are 'buying high' or 'selling low', you can make educated guesses only.

The only times you are sure you aren't doing those is when you pick up a guy that has been good consistently for years on end, or deal a guy who's sucked the same way. And then of course you are either overpaying or getting nothing back.

And even then you never know. There was no way on earth to foresee Adam Dunn being such a disaster with his track record. Nor was there any way to see Vogelsong being so useful with his.

So deals like this you have to make. It has a reasonable chance of working out. Standing pat was not an option.

Nobody knows nuthin'.

Sounds like a certain OF wearing #15 to me....rhymes with "Barlows Keltran"

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My new projected 2012 lineup:

Cabrera CF
Freddy 2B
Buster C
Beltran LF
Panda 3B
Huff/Belt 1B
Nate RF
Stamos SS

SP: Tim/Cain/Bum/Song/Zeets
RP: Beard/Romo/Affeldt/Lopez/RamRam/Casilla/Kamp
Bench: Torres/Stewart/Pill/Fonty/Belt(Huff)

The variable is obviously Beltran, but if they make that work that's a potential 95 win team.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like a certain OF wearing #15 to me....rhymes with "Barlows Keltran"

Sure, but in the next sentence I say "you are overpaying" for guys like that. Also, see my Adam Dunn cautionary note. Throw in injury-prone and you can't say Carlos is a no-brainer.

He's a FA so if they want to stretch the budget for him, I'm all for it.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buying high? This guy is a career .275 hitter which is not great but damn good, and guess what, hes a switch hitter and hes only 27 years old. Thats right ladies and gents we got a young OF and if we can resign Beltran and with Nate then damn we got a good OF for years to come. Reallly happy with this trade

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, but in the next sentence I say "you are overpaying" for guys like that. Also, see my Adam Dunn cautionary note. Throw in injury-prone and you can't say Carlos is a no-brainer.

He's a FA so if they want to stretch the budget for him, I'm all for it.

True. I believe that the term "Free Agent" is directly translated to "overpaid'.....assuming my Latin isn't rusty.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buying high? This guy is a career .275 hitter which is not great but damn good, and guess what, hes a switch hitter and hes only 27 years old. Thats right ladies and gents we got a young OF and if we can resign Beltran and with Nate then damn we got a good OF for years to come. Reallly happy with this trade

I hope the above goes as well as your 2010 WS prediction.....

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like this deal, maybe a steep price to pay but it likely was the best we were gonna get. Fills a big need while shedding some salary. Giants get more athletic, faster and even a little younger with the trade. Its a good trade on paper for both teams.

IMO, Torres is likely to be non-tendered and only brought back if he signs a $1 million or less deal, if not Ford will be able to fill the position of defensive replacement/PR.