• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Geno Atkins

redbengal1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Just saw on the depth chart that he's the starter with Tank gone. I don't think I like this, I'd rather have him as a situational player that rushes the passer, much like Dunlap. Liability against the run and won't have fresh legs on those third downs (assuming it ever takes a team more than two plays to get a first down on us.)

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldn't agree more.... I know a lot of Bengal fans really want Gino to be the man, but I worry about run defense. Same issue I have with Dunlap. I'd rather have Sims or McDonald in a base D and use Atkins in a rotation. Still think we need a run-stopper to pair with Peko up front.

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Same here. I actually just assumed Sims and Peko would start with Atkins rotating on passing downs. I was kinda surprised that Atkins was the starter.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The worries about whether he can hold up as an every down player are legit..

but this team has a history of sitting young, talented players in favor of worn down veterans, or other lesser players with a bigger contract...

Atkins has been a beast in limitied playing time. i think it's a good sign that they're giving him a shot as a starter

redbengal1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The worries about whether he can hold up as an every down player are legit..

but this team has a history of sitting young, talented players in favor of worn down veterans, or other lesser players with a bigger contract...

Atkins has been a beast in limitied playing time. i think it's a good sign that they're giving him a shot as a starter

That's a good point, I hope we play and try out all the young talent we have this year (not that we have much else.) If we're gonna suck, I want us to at least see what we have and move forward for the future.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a good point, I hope we play and try out all the young talent we have this year (not that we have much else.) If we're gonna suck, I want us to at least see what we have and move forward for the future.

LOL @ "move forward for the future." Classic.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'll start, but both Sims (when health) and McDonald will see playing time as well on 1st and 2nd down due to their size and ability to plug the gap in the run game.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've noticed over that last couple of years that when Sims is on the field the run defense improves exponentially.....

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paul Brown died at 82.....Not sure about Mike's mom. But given that he's lived a privileged life and he's still in good health, I'd figure he's probably got at least 15 years at the least.

Katie B. will take over the team upon his death. Do you really believe she'll do things differently?

This franchise is screwed..... Unfortunately the endgame of all of this will be sometime around 2020.... The Cincinnati market is declining. PBS will be two decades old by that point and the team will move. I'm not trying to be depressing, but I see no way that this franchise will ever be successful. Sadly we didn't close out the super bowl in 88/89...... That was the last chance.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Bengals sucking will transcend the apocalypse.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More terrific insight from me in this thread.....

Wow, these old SportsHoopla threads are the best.

BTW -- How crazy was that season we had in 2011. We were ranked dead last in every power rankings that was published that offseason. Our franchise qb retired rather than playing for us, our rookie qb couldn't practice due to the lock out, and we stuck with a HC that most people wanted fired. Look at some of the posts from summer 2011 - It was a depressing time.

I think the fact that the Bengals made the playoffs that season is still one of the most surprising things I've seen from them in the 30+ years that I've been a fan.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
More terrific insight from me in this thread.....

Wow, these old SportsHoopla threads are the best.

BTW -- How crazy was that season we had in 2011. We were ranked dead last in every power rankings that was published that offseason. Our franchise qb retired rather than playing for us, our rookie qb couldn't practice due to the lock out, and we stuck with a HC that most people wanted fired. Look at some of the posts from summer 2011 - It was a depressing time.

I think the fact that the Bengals made the playoffs that season is still one of the most surprising things I've seen from them in the 30+ years that I've been a fan.

The Bratowski upgrade to Gruden was huge. Gruden is coaching Kirk Cousins to a probowl season