• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

GDT - Buffalo at San Jose - Jan 6, 7:30PM

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Tmac says the first period was bad, but the rest of the game was ok. that being said "DIPSHIT!!!!" you lost i give 2 fucks if the team played ok for 40 minutes, what part of having a team ready to go 60+ minutes are you not able to convey?

It appears Tmac is adopting the passive Thornton mentality approach to the game, we lost, yeah i know it suck. but for 53.6 seconds of total game time we dominate, and we will take that positive and built for that to twice as much next time.

I said it in the pre season this team is not a lock for a playoff spot, and they could miss it this year all together unless a drastic change comes to this team, they are doomed. to comfortable in that locker room now way to club med

Korky, I'm not so sure about Tmac's assessment. I think that was the most angry I have ever seen him in a postgame interview. He's not the type to throw chairs and drop F-bombs, but he cut off every interview question and actually tries to get away after the first question. You could see he was mad as hell and wanted to get out of there. He mentioned that they were better down 3-0 (and it was true), but the whole interview he was focused on the poor effort defensively and on all the mess ups and how they worked on everything in practice, then didn't bring it. He was not lackadaisacal at all, I feel.

Jumbo, on the other hand, thought they had a pretty good game and just hit a good goalie. THAT is the real concern. 'C' and Jumbo are like oil and water. The sooner you separate the better they both are. Clowe sounded incredibly captain-esque though and his fight for couture is real captain "lead by example" type of action. Jumbo is just far better not having any responsibilities and focusing on his own game. The captain is definitely not a good title for the guy.

p.s.: I went to the game and when the buzzer sounded after 60 minutes, I though the game was starting after warmups. I was as mad as hell yesterday... Too mad to post even.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm really starting to wonder if both Thornton and Heatleys ego's or atleast personalities and approach to the game is starting to have an effect.

I mean Patty has always had his slumps when he was bad, but for the last 5 years or so he was atleast busting his ass trying to do other stuff, now it seems like maybe the other 2 have worn him out, or he has adopted their attitude.

I agree take the "C" away from Thornton its a clearly a failure. In fact None of those 3 should have anything to do with the leadership of this team. They havent shown they deserve to have a voice or an opinion that matters anymore.

I know they cant give an "A" to rat face couture. But i like what he has been saying and how he performs. I don't know if Boyle is the best option just due to it can wear on players over time and cause problems.

Clowe seems like a good idea, but he does tend to go MIA during the season, this season being the exception.

It's pretty clear the leadership situation with this team is currently a disaster

caliraftdude

Sharks Hockey... meh...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Standing back a bit I think there are some fundamental problems right now on the team that is just hosing everything else up:

1. D is horrible - the puck rarely gets moved effectively out of the zone and demands the hard work a lot of guys on this team don't put into their back check. Some guys are trying to do to much and others are doing spinnies in the corner chasing the "kick me" sign taped to their own asses...

2. Forecheck/Backcheck is on a "as I desire" case - You could also say effort here too, but the bottom line is Yzerman/Modano never won championships until they decided to dominate both ends of the ice. Patty rarely does anything on a back check and the others top 2 are not exactly kings in this area either. Maley made a good point last night saying, "when you are slumping the easiest way to get out of it is to simplify the game and get physical." We just seem to come up with more creative messaging to excuse the half-assed effort.

3. Passive leadership - Nolan was a grouchy sob.. but you never felt he wasn't paying attention to the game. When the scoring wasn't happening he was busy whacking Pronger on the shins or telling Jovo his dog is fun to kick. (You can go too far in this direction, and clearly you need a guy on the team like Ricci that brings up the topic of fishing to lighten the room - but you get the point) There are too many guys on this team that think the proper response to an ass beating is a hug and some flowers. I want a guy that during the interview throws the bench onto the ice and drops a few F-bombs.

4. Depth is not playing to potential - Where is all the depth? There are two lines worth of guys that are not giving quality minutes and that is a major issue. Scott Nichol gives me the impression he wants to be there - so does Logan. Does anyone else make you feel like they really want to be there?

5. Lack of change - Players like Clowe and Boyle feel the straps biting into their shoulders and when they look around they see Patty reading poetry and Heater practicing his levitation. They look at the coach and they get the "team message". At some point you look at yourself in the mirror and think you are an idiot for caring as much as you do. As a coach - you HAVE to see this and address it. Status quo just makes guys who ARE contributing not give a fuck. Maybe that last coach had it right when he called out Marleau saying that, "he was the reason the team was losing." Hind sight.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Standing back a bit I think there are some fundamental problems right now on the team that is just hosing everything else up:

1. D is horrible - the puck rarely gets moved effectively out of the zone and demands the hard work a lot of guys on this team don't put into their back check. Some guys are trying to do to much and others are doing spinnies in the corner chasing the "kick me" sign taped to their own asses...

2. Forecheck/Backcheck is on a "as I desire" case - You could also say effort here too, but the bottom line is Yzerman/Modano never won championships until they decided to dominate both ends of the ice. Patty rarely does anything on a back check and the others top 2 are not exactly kings in this area either. Maley made a good point last night saying, "when you are slumping the easiest way to get out of it is to simplify the game and get physical." We just seem to come up with more creative messaging to excuse the half-assed effort.

3. Passive leadership - Nolan was a grouchy sob.. but you never felt he wasn't paying attention to the game. When the scoring wasn't happening he was busy whacking Pronger on the shins or telling Jovo his dog is fun to kick. (You can go too far in this direction, and clearly you need a guy on the team like Ricci that brings up the topic of fishing to lighten the room - but you get the point) There are too many guys on this team that think the proper response to an ass beating is a hug and some flowers. I want a guy that during the interview throws the bench onto the ice and drops a few F-bombs.

4. Depth is not playing to potential - Where is all the depth? There are two lines worth of guys that are not giving quality minutes and that is a major issue. Scott Nichol gives me the impression he wants to be there - so does Logan. Does anyone else make you feel like they really want to be there?

5. Lack of change - Players like Clowe and Boyle feel the straps biting into their shoulders and when they look around they see Patty reading poetry and Heater practicing his levitation. They look at the coach and they get the "team message". At some point you look at yourself in the mirror and think you are an idiot for caring as much as you do. As a coach - you HAVE to see this and address it. Status quo just makes guys who ARE contributing not give a fuck. Maybe that last coach had it right when he called out Marleau saying that, "he was the reason the team was losing." Hind sight.

Awesome, awesome post. Nice job!

(except the last line... it's never been just Marleau's fault; don't be crazy.. ;) :p)

caliraftdude

Sharks Hockey... meh...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Awesome, awesome post. Nice job!
(except the last line... it's never been just Marleau's fault; don't be crazy.. ;) :p)

<bows> Thanks man.

I actually didn't word that last sentence as well as I could and my attempt at brevity introduced an unfocused statement. I was trying to bring in the oft critical Wilson's point of view as perhaps wiser than first thought.

You are absolutely correct though - you cannot blame Patty for all the teams ills over the years. But a larger salary brings that attention, whether you deserve it or not.

Bottom line is a lack of personal accountability by the players, and you are correct: there is enough shame to go around for everyone.