• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game of Thrones

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That look when you find out that Varys isn't as dickless as they say.

14716313_1501492089867853_8985195112412478355_n.png

Proud_Okie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's no way the showrunners could go exactly by the books. Too many details and too long. The spirit is the same, just some of the details are different. I don't really mind; I try to judge the books and the show separately. I do think the books and the show will end in the same way, unless the Fat Man gets pissed off about it or dies of a fried chicken overdose before he finishes.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously don't read this if you don't want to be spoiled. SERIOUSLY, IT'S PRETTY MUCH EVERY PLOT POINT. It sounds like it could actually be legit too, not just some random guy's theory.

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/the-entire-plot-of-the-next-season-of-game-of-thrones-s-1788659452

ICE DRAGON FTW!

Also, that's A LOT of stuff to cram into 7 episodes. Either this season is going to be a hell of a ride ala Breaking Bad last season or it could be a scattered mess as they try to tie everything up. People have said major characters would die but so far, it only looks like one. And I'm not sure I'd consider LF a "major" character. I'd say he's a supporting character, but a big one.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The showrunners have always stayed true to the spirit of the books. Sure there are differences, but mostly for time/content considerations. They haven't added stuff that's totally out of left field.

So I disagree, the ending of the TV show will be true to the spirit of the book's ending, even if some details get lost.
I'm in the middle of book 5. As great as the HBO series is, I think the books are better

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm in the middle of book 5. As great as the HBO series is, I think the books are better

That's usually the case. Have you read Herbert's 'Dune?'

Similar level of world building, and people keep trying to make it into a single movie or a 6 part mini series.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Similar level of world building, and people keep trying to make it into a single movie or a 6 part mini series.
Nope, I'll have to check it out when I finish book 5 :thumb:

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starting the show over. Saw S1 a while ago, and parts of S2, but I'm starting over in anticipation of S7

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm about 4/5ths through the book, and find it to be garbage.

Will you and me ever agree on anything?

BTW, they did make it into a movie in 1984

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get through, I think 4 Dune books before I finally gave up. Interesting universe, but after following it for a few thousand years, it got a bit odd.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm about 4/5ths through the book, and find it to be garbage.

Will you and me ever agree on anything?

BTW, they did make it into a movie in 1984

<shrug>

Heh. I didn't just pull it out of my ass Omar. Google 'best sf books of all time, ' and collate the lists. Dune usually makes the top ten.

Why do you think it's garbage?

As for us agreeing, I'm going to absolutely lay awake nights, worrying about that buddy.

And yes, I'm absolutely, painfully aware that Dino de Larentis made a movie of it. It's so abysmally bad, it's not worth watching, if you're a fan of the books.

--

cal: Dune goes off the rails after about the first three books. The first was a hard bar to live up to. The 'universe' is hot garbage, because his son cashed in, and started writing in it with hack authors, imo, to be avoided at all costs.

Dad rolled over in his grave.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
<shrug>

Heh. I didn't just pull it out of my ass Omar. Google 'best sf books of all time, ' and collate the lists. Dune usually makes the top ten.

Why do you think it's garbage?

As for us agreeing, I'm going to absolutely lay awake nights, worrying about that buddy.

And yes, I'm absolutely, painfully aware that Dino de Larentis made a movie of it. It's so abysmally bad, it's not worth watching, if you're a fan of the books.

--

cal: Dune goes off the rails after about the first three books. The first was a hard bar to live up to. The 'universe' is hot garbage, because his son cashed in, and started writing in it with hack authors, imo, to be avoided at all costs.

Dad rolled over in his grave.
Damn, I was joking about us not agreeing. I don't know where the insinuation was made that you should by laying awake at night worrying about it...

I didn't make it clear in my post, but I'm well aware of how acclaimed Dune is. The only reason I heard about it was because I typed into Google "Best Sci-Fi Books," clicked on the first result, which was a top 25 list, and it was number one. I just don't find it personally engaging. When I don't like something, I find it hard to articulate why I don't like it. Why don't I like asparagus? It's boring. Why don't I like Dune? It's boring and its main characters are hard to root for and find engaging. I find it much easier to detail why I DID like something, than why I didn't.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn, I was joking about us not agreeing. I don't know where the insinuation was made that you should by laying awake at night worrying about it...

I didn't make it clear in my post, but I'm well aware of how acclaimed Dune is. The only reason I heard about it was because I typed into Google "Best Sci-Fi Books," clicked on the first result, which was a top 25 list, and it was number one. I just don't find it personally engaging. When I don't like something, I find it hard to articulate why I don't like it. Why don't I like asparagus? It's boring. Why don't I like Dune? It's boring and its main characters are hard to root for and find engaging. I find it much easier to detail why I DID like something, than why I didn't.

Sure, but I'm going to take your criticism of it a lot more seriously if you say something beyond 'it didn't work for me.'

I specifically mentioned it in terms of world building. Herbert's universe is to this day one of the most complete ever put to paper.

And to be fair you DIDN'T just say ' yeah, it didn't wow me,' you said it was 'garbage.'

It's not garbage. Even if you didn't like it.

Hell I don't care much for the Russian classics, but I'm not going to call Dostoevsky 'garbage.'

That would be silly, and would deserve some flippant reply.

And to be clear, I was joking about laying awake nights too. I saw your sarcasm, raised some more sarcasm.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get through, I think 4 Dune books before I finally gave up. Interesting universe, but after following it for a few thousand years, it got a bit odd.

Made it through 3 and then just sort of stopped reading the fourth. I'll finish it eventually just got a bit Duned out after the third.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Made it through 3 and then just sort of stopped reading the fourth. I'll finish it eventually just got a bit Duned out after the third.
I read them about 20 years ago, so I forget exactly where I was, but I think that mirrors my experience.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oh boy yeah that thing was a piece of shit. Sci Fi's Dune was okay but felt more like a play with the painted backgrounds. Left a lot to be desired. Children of Dune was better but still wasn't great. Really if they ever adapt Dune again it needs to be a series like GoT.

That 1984 movie could have been worse though. I don't know if you saw the documentary "Jodorowsky's Dune" but the original plan for a Dune movie was basically just Jodorowsky's masturbatory fantasy that was loosely based on Dune in the same way the shit I took five minutes ago is loosely based on the steak I had for dinner. Lots of cool concepts that were seen is later Sci Fi stuff came from the preparation for that film at least. Wouldn't have Alien without it.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read them about 20 years ago, so I forget exactly where I was, but I think that mirrors my experience.

I think I read the first about 10 years ago. Picked up the second and third a few years back. It's no coincidence that me dropping out of the series occurred around the same time Bob Saget's book "Dirty Daddy" hit stores.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it's been a couple of decades (more probably) since I've read them, but First two books are great ---> nearly great, and by the time you get to God Emperor, they're uh, not great anymore.

Then when Son and hack writers get involved they're awful.