• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Game 1 - Philadelphia Flyers at Tampa Bay Lightning(10-8-15): 7:30pm EST

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
large.png vs. large.png

Opening Night
Voracek-Giroux.jpg vs. 011015-fsf-nhl-tampa-bay-lightning-steven-stamkos-tyler-johnson-PI.vadapt.620.high.3.jpg

Game Time: 7:30pm EST
Channel: CSN-PH
Venue: Amalie Arena

Opening Night Rosters:

Philadelphia Flyers

Pierre-Edouard Bellemare, Sean Couturier, Michael Del Zotto, Sam Gagner, Claude Giroux, Radko Gudas, Scott Laughton, Vincent Lecavalier, Brandon Manning, Steve Mason, Evgeny Medvedev, Michal Neuvirth, Michael Raffl, Matt Read, Brayden Schenn, Luke Schenn, Nick Schultz, Wayne Simmonds, Mark Streit, R.J. Umberger, Chris Vande Velde, Jakub Voracek, Ryan White

Tampa Bay Lightning

Ben Bishop, Brian Boyle, J.T. Brown, Ryan Callahan, Matt Carle, Braydon Coburn, Erik Condra, Jonathan Drouin, Adam Erne, Valtteri Filppula, Jason Garrison, Victor Hedman, Tyler Johnson, Alex Killorn, Slater Koekkoek, Nikita Kucherov, Vladislav Namestnikov, Nikita Nesterov, Ondrej Palat, Kevin Poulin, Steven Stamkos, Anton Stralman, Andrej Sustr

Injured: Mattias Ohlund, Cedric Paquette, Andrey Vasilevskiy.

Projected Flyers Lines:

12 Michael Raffl - 28 Claude Giroux - 93 Jakub Voracek
10 Brayden Schenn - 14 Sean Couturier - 17 Wayne Simmonds
24 Matt Read - 21 Scott Laughton - 20 R.J. Umberger
76 Chris VandeVelde - 78 Pierre-Edouard Bellemare - 25 Ryan White

55 Nick Schultz - 32 Mark Streit
15 Michael Del Zotto - 23 Brandon Manning
82 Evgeny Medvedev - 22 Luke Schenn

35 Steve Mason
[30 Michal Neuvirth]

Links:
Philadelphia Flyers at Tampa Bay Lightning - 10/08/2015
GREENBERG: Analyzing A Fast Start
History says Flyers' Couturier can add offense to game
College coach Dave Hakstol given an NHL shot with Flyers
Flyers not intimidated by starting against Lightning

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't wait to cheer on my Cobie pool Flyers...G and Jake! Let's go Flyers!!!!

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is going to be a challenge, for sure, but I do like the projected lines. That third line is a giant question mark. Umberger and Read need to rebound from last season and we don't know what we'll get out of Laughton. Hopefully the defense doesn't miss guys like Coburn and Timonen too much. What we absolutely do have faith in is that top line and our netminder. Huge opportunity here for guys like Couturier and Schenn to show what they have offensively.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is going to be a challenge, for sure, but I do like the projected lines. That third line is a giant question mark. Umberger and Read need to rebound from last season and we don't know what we'll get out of Laughton. Hopefully the defense doesn't miss guys like Coburn and Timonen too much. What we absolutely do have faith in is that top line and our netminder. Huge opportunity here for guys like Couturier and Schenn to show what they have offensively.

Those guys have been gone long enough now to the point where it's not about them, it's about who's on the team now and seeing what they're able to do - I think worrying about the past is going to affect them as a team - they need to play with a clean, fresh slate and impress the coach so that he can have trust in them and put them in key situations

With a new coach, there's no personal vendettas or issues between player and coach so it's an opportunity for 20+ players to give a good impression and be on his good side, if everyone can be on his good side, this team could be much better, but it will take everyone doing their roles and their part

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Whats up guys!? I am excited for the season but I think I am keeping expectations pretty low. My initial thoughts are to set this team up for the future. Looking at the back end I still believe we are too slow and buying time for the young guys to develop in the AHL. Umberger the only guy in the forward bunch I would consider slow. The team could surprise but I am not getting my hopes up. Not being negative, I think this is the right way to build this team, but I am also not a naive flyers fan to think this team is talented enough across the board to win the cup.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't wait to cheer on my Cobie pool Flyers...G and Jake! Let's go Flyers!!!!

totally forgot about this haha. but WOW, what an auto-draft :thumb:

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whats up guys!? I am excited for the season but I think I am keeping expectations pretty low. My initial thoughts are to set this team up for the future. Looking at the back end I still believe we are too slow and buying time for the young guys to develop in the AHL. Umberger the only guy in the forward bunch I would consider slow. The team could surprise but I am not getting my hopes up. Not being negative, I think this is the right way to build this team, but I am also not a naive flyers fan to think this team is talented enough across the board to win the cup.

I think everyone realizes that this team isn't a team going deep this year if they do make it but I think we can try and enjoy them for what they are, at the very least they should be more enjoyable to watch, even if they still have their deficiencies

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What's up dspice! Good to see you again. It's the time of year when everyone starts returning from the shadows :).

I'm actually shockingly optimistic about this team. I like the way it's made up. It relies on a lot of jumps from guys like Couturier and Schenn, as well as bounce back years from Read and Umberger. But I think you can make a case for 7, 20 goal scorers up front this season. The defense, while not very attractive on paper, gave up the 10th fewest 5 on 5 goals last year. Obviously big hat tip to Mase there, but he's part of the defense again this year. The big key to me is the PK. It needs to revert to pre 2014-15 season effectiveness. If it can, I think the Flyers can make the playoffs.

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What's up dspice! Good to see you again. It's the time of year when everyone starts returning from the shadows :).

I'm actually shockingly optimistic about this team. I like the way it's made up. It relies on a lot of jumps from guys like Couturier and Schenn, as well as bounce back years from Read and Umberger. But I think you can make a case for 7, 20 goal scorers up front this season. The defense, while not very attractive on paper, gave up the 10th fewest 5 on 5 goals last year. Obviously big hat tip to Mase there, but he's part of the defense again this year. The big key to me is the PK. It needs to revert to pre 2014-15 season effectiveness. If it can, I think the Flyers can make the playoffs.

ha i have made a few posts in the last month, but will be more consistently on now.

I am optimistic about this team, wasnt trying to convey that i think they stink. you are right, relying a lot on jump up years. good idea to put couterier and schenn together for that purpose, need to see a lot from both of them offensively.

whats up with Gudas? Thought he was going to take Luke out of the lineup. didnt get to watch but one preseason game, just was going by writer tweets.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ha i have made a few posts in the last month, but will be more consistently on now.

I am optimistic about this team, wasnt trying to convey that i think they stink. you are right, relying a lot on jump up years. good idea to put couterier and schenn together for that purpose, need to see a lot from both of them offensively.

whats up with Gudas? Thought he was going to take Luke out of the lineup. didnt get to watch but one preseason game, just was going by writer tweets.

The couple of preseason games I saw that he played in, he just wasn't good. He seemed out of position a lot and his passing was just so-so. I like Luke is better than him in every asset, but I do think Luke gets moved come the trade deadline. Then Gudas will fill that role for the rest of the season.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
totally forgot about this haha. but WOW, what an auto-draft :thumb:
I was actually able to draft them...believe it or not. I still have to figure that whole thing out I've only ever done regular pools. We’ll see what happens but more importantly we have a big game tonight!

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The couple of preseason games I saw that he played in, he just wasn't good. He seemed out of position a lot and his passing was just so-so. I like Luke is better than him in every asset, but I do think Luke gets moved come the trade deadline. Then Gudas will fill that role for the rest of the season.
Agreed and i'm sure that they want to showcase Luke in the meantime the presser isn't a good look.

I'm excited to see Medvedev too hopefully he's good all around.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do think Umberger looked better in the preseason than at anytime last year.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's good to be back back. To me our season comes down to how well the middle six performs. Hopefully Couturier takes the next step and Schenn keeps up his end of year play.

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Changing up my first game meal choice. Pizza has done us no good. Going with something a little more healthy and hopefully a fun and exciting season.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First goal of the Flyers season prediction: Wayne Simmonds

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of talk about Laughton and his new responsibility...he was the 3rd center last year before he was hurt.
I think he will be fine. It will be interesting to see how he and Read and Umbie jell. Also, will Umbie's hip hold up and he maintain that step and a half he got back. If so, that line will be in pretty good shape.

I for the life of me cannot figure out the best way to try to match up with the Lightning and if I was John Cooper how to match up....should be a very interesting first period.

Why hasn't the puck dropped yet?

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First goal: Mark Streit, on the power play.