• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Further OSU sanctions

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ohio St received a 1-year bowl ban and a 3-year scholarship reduction today.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems about right. They are probably in pretty good shape coming out of this scandal. They only lose one year of a bowl game and replaced a great coach with another great coach. I'd prefer to watch them lose at least 5 times per year, but objectively speaking, I think they came out in about as good of shape as you can after everything that was going down last spring.

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There was also 3 years of probation, but it could have been worse. From what I've read, due to the fact that they are considered a repeat offender, they were eligible for the death penalty.

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
In addition, Jim Tressel was hit with a "show-cause" order that basically keeps him from being a college HC for 5 years.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't be shocked to see Tressel try his hand at the pro game..... There will likely be many jobs available at the end of the year and some team might give him a shot.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If tOSU receives this harsh a penalty for some tattoos then what will happen to PSU? Kill them all and burn down the entire campus?

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Nope. NCAA said no sanctions will be issued to PSU

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a very clear message. If you are aware that your players gave away useless memorabilia in exchange for ink and you do not report it, you will never coach in college again and your team will be on probation.

If you are aware that your former defensive coordinator rapes children in the team's facilities, you engage in a cover-up operation with the athletic director, university president and town police then the town will hold a retirement parade for you and build a new statue.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a very clear message. If you are aware that your players gave away useless memorabilia in exchange for ink and you do not report it, you will never coach in college again and your team will be on probation.

If you are aware that your former defensive coordinator rapes children in the team's facilities, you engage in a cover-up operation with the athletic director, university president and town police then the town will hold a retirement parade for you and build a new statue.

While I hate to make it seem like nothing at all should be done (and that's not the case) you simply can't compare the two situations.

What JoePa did had nothing to do with compromising the eligibility of his players or the football program. What went on at PSU is repulsive and can't be excused, but unlike OSU benefiting from allowing in-eligble players to play in games and winning, PSU, nor JoePa did anything that would jeopordize the football program for a legalistic standpoint.

This doesn't mean I don't think something should be done, but what needs to be done needs to be done to the individuals involved and not the football team, which did not benefit. What JoePa knew and did not come forward with did not affect himself as a coach or his players. Had JoePa come forward with his information, no player or coach was at risk for being suspended or released. This, in no way, affected the outcomes of any games played.

Unlike OSU, had Tressel come forward, those players would not have been available for the bowl game last year costing OSU money (which they had to repay anyway) and of course, the probably would have gone through the same thing this time. The only difference would be that if Tressel came foward the 1st time, he probably would still be the coach of OSU, and people would be singing his praises about how great he is and what he stands for...instead of showing us what he really is.

It's apples and organges, really. It is.