• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free Falling

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tom Petty is buzzing in my head....

But seriously,we need to recover from this mess. We are getting stomped by the upper tier of teams and look terrible. Hopefully this is the last funk before we go through until the playoffs. We look terrible out there. Could be Donnie's farewell tour.

LASports96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just won another series against a .>500 team. Whoops.

When you have the two best pitchers in MLB right now, you're never in free fall mode.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When you have the two best pitchers in MLB right now, you're never in free fall mode.

Yeah, I agree. The key is that the starters need to shorten up the game.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said, that could have been our last funk till we go into overdrive. We do need to try to pry a reliever or 2 away in waiver deals.

LASports96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was kinda thinking to myself as I was watching that implosion on Sunday in Pittsburgh that it would be our lowest point of the season and we would kinda take off these next few weeks. I feel it coming.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree they are the best 1 -2 punch in baseball, but I think we all"expect" them to stop our occasional funks! But even they can't always come through, we need our offense to produce more. While Kershaw and Grienke keep us in almost every game, it's not automatic with them, in 46 starts between the two they have 22 wins, 8 losses, and 16 no decisions, they have both been lights out all year, this tells me that our offense isn't really coming through when 24 out of 46 starts are losses or no decisions!

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I went out of the country for a little more than a week. I see a thread that says that the team is in free fall. I check the standings and... yep... Sportshoopla Dodgers Forum is still populated by a bunch of chicken little doomsayers.

Dodgers are in 1st place. They've won 3 games in a row. They are leading the NL West by the exact same margin they had 10 games ago.

This is a free fall?

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I went out of the country for a little more than a week. I see a thread that says that the team is in free fall. I check the standings and... yep... Sportshoopla Dodgers Forum is still populated by a bunch of chicken little doomsayers.

Dodgers are in 1st place. They've won 3 games in a row. They are leading the NL West by the exact same margin they had 10 games ago.

This is a free fall?

Well, first of all,the original poster posted this before that big whopping 3 game winning streak. When he posted it the Dodgers were 9-10 over their previous 19 games, that's not good, and we are not playing well, we are fortunate that SF is also not playing well.

And once again we can't rely on Kershaw and Greinke ending losing streaks if the bullpen and offense are not going to help! That's now 25 out of 48 games started by those two where they got a loss or no decision, the bullpen and offense is not coming through, and that is what Lasportzphan is alluding to when he says this team is no better than last years. We have a chance just like we did last year of winning it all, it's just not a good chance!

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, first of all,the original poster posted this before that big whopping 3 game winning streak. When he posted it the Dodgers were 9-10 over their previous 19 games, that's not good, and we are not playing well, we are fortunate that SF is also not playing well.

And once again we can't rely on Kershaw and Greinke ending losing streaks if the bullpen and offense are not going to help! That's now 25 out of 48 games started by those two where they got a loss or no decision, the bullpen and offense is not coming through, and that is what Lasportzphan is alluding to when he says this team is no better than last years. We have a chance just like we did last year of winning it all, it's just not a good chance!

Its sad how poorly this team has performed. Its also sad that some fans have more of a clue as to what is going on than the Front Office it seems. This offseason will be huge for the team and will show us what direction the team truly is going.

When the season ends for us (playoff loss or not making the playoffs) it will because of 3 basic reasons that we have all seen, yet, the front office did not successfully address.

1. Bullpen
2. Back end rotation
3. Clutch hitting

Its pretty simple why this team fails actually.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its sad how poorly this team has performed. Its also sad that some fans have more of a clue as to what is going on than the Front Office it seems. This offseason will be huge for the team and will show us what direction the team truly is going.

When the season ends for us (playoff loss or not making the playoffs) it will because of 3 basic reasons that we have all seen, yet, the front office did not successfully address.

1. Bullpen
2. Back end rotation
3. Clutch hitting

What would you have done differently? Also, how do you address clutch hitting? Clutch hitting isn't exactly something you can build a team around lol, it just happens.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have signed proven players for the bullpen instead of trading for several unknowns. That would have been the first thing to do. Also, I would have traded for a reliever or 2 during the trade deadline. I know we got Johnson and Avilan but we still needed another arm or two given how poorly the pen had performed. I hope we are still trying to acquire someone during the waiver period. Our pen has performed so poorly that I am sure most relievers are an upgrade to what we have been working with.

There is nothing they could have done about Ryu or McCarthy, but at the trade deadline, I would have gotten another frontline starter. Latos has been terrible this year and hasn't pitched well in a while it seems. Not sure why they targeted him. Perhaps we had to take him to get Wood and the relievers? We are his 3rd team in a year correct? I am fine with Wood, but we could have traded for Carrasco or someone else and DFA Latos or flipped him.

You are correct, clutch hitting is learned and taught. Funny how the Cardinals and Royals always seem to come up with the right hit at the right time. I believe it comes down to coaching and plate approach. We clearly aren't getting the job done. Hindsight is 20/20 but I would have fired Mattingly and hired Maddon, but I think we all mentioned that one.

Don't get me started on the draft because we botched that one for sure at this point. Of course some of those guys could be the next Kershaw, as such, time will tell. The Funkhouser incident was screw-up no doubt about it.

At the end of the day, we are limping into September and I think the Giants will catch us. We are relying on Kershaw and Greinke to do everything. Wood is good, but he is a 5 inning pitcher at this point and turning it over to the pen is a dangerous move for us at this point. Given the fact that we cannot stay healthy, the prospect of us making the postseason is not good I feel.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What would you have done differently? Also, how do you address clutch hitting? Clutch hitting isn't exactly something you can build a team around lol, it just happens.

I agree with you, I actually think the front office has done a pretty good job. There are a ton of teams that don't have very good bullpens overall! We have good hitters, a bunch of them just aren't hitting, it happens and the front office has nothing to do with that. I think we could have tried a little harder for a solid #3 starter, I think we could have stayed with Bolsinger also, he's done more than an adequate job as a #4 or 5 guy.
We've acquired some good young arms for the bullpen, alot of them helped greatly early in the season, but they are all young and seem to be more throwers than pitchers?
I also don't like Mattingly's lineups, play your "best" players, don't throw 3-4 guys that are more or less backups into the same lineup constantly, sprinkle 1-2 in here and there, it's like throwing away games, especially when he does it when Kershaw and Grienke pitch, those are the games you are suppose to win. If you want to start some of these other guys play them when your 4- 5 starting pitcher is pitching, those games you aren't necessarily going to win anyway!

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a process. This front office doesn't even have a full season under it's belt yet. Many of these contracts were not signed by them. I think they've done a fantastic job with what little they've done so far.

I don't believe a really good #3 was necessary, there will be a ton of good pitchers on the market this offseason the Dodgers can acquire without giving up any good prospects. The Dodgers not only kept the farm and core group of young players intact but they actually added to it with Peraza and Wood and got help for the bullpen (not ready to write Avilan and Johnson off so soon). The Dodgers have one of the best farm systems in baseball, gutting it for a run this year made no sense, especially with the amount of free agents that will be available in a few months.

The Dodgers are going to be a potential contender for years to come, they have the assets as well as the cash to do it. Teams like the Blue Jays had no choice but to go all in. Even if the Dodgers don't win it all this season, they've still set things up very nicely for the future. I think some Dodgers fans are just a little impatient but gutting the franchise for the possibility of making a run this year would have been a huge mistake.

I don't think some of you guys realize just how good we have it right now. I am still expecting the Dodgers to make the playoffs this year, I don't think that's too unreasonable seeing as how they've made it to the playoffs more times than any team not named the Yankees.

pete6835

Buuuuuurp!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bullpen is horrible, but I noticed this year, the hitters would rather argue balls and strikes than just hit the ball.

If it's close, hit the ball. These guys are pretentious and expect that their salary dictates respect. The Umpires see if differently.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1. Bullpen
2. Back end rotation
3. Clutch hitting

Clutch hitting? How about any hits. This team is struggling because they can`t get on base. Their offense is embarrassing.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clutch hitting? How about any hits. This team is struggling because they can`t get on base. Their offense is embarrassing.

I agree. Mattingly has lost control of the team. We have too much talent and too much money tied up in this roster to not be getting better results. Again, no team has done less with more than the Dodgers. I hate it but its true.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As I've already said, having the two best pitchers in MLB does not guarantee anything, if your bullpen doesn't finish games for them, or your offense produces SQUAT for them, they are pretty much rendered a non factor!