• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Franklin Gutierrez injured (again)

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like he injured his hip diving for a ball.

Dude just cannot stay healthy.

It's a shame because he's off to a pretty good start (at least by Mariners standards)

Taking bets on how long he is out for...

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saying Guti is injured, is like saying its raining in Seattle. Sadly I feel like it happens more often then not.

blade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like he injured his hip diving for a ball.

Dude just cannot stay healthy.

It's a shame because he's off to a pretty good start (at least by Mariners standards)

Taking bets on how long he is out for...

Replacing Vargas with Joe Saunders and carrying Franklin Gutierrez all year, is the equivalent of losing a roster on the 25-man roster, for the entire year. i'll explain:

Gutierrez is only going to play in about 80 games this year, even if he never actually goes on the DL, because he is too brittle. So, he is on the roster but unavailable for roughly half a season. That is the eqivalent of half of a roster spot. Vargas was always good for 200-215 innings. Joe Saunders is generally good for about 175-185 innings. That's a net loss of about 40 innings, from the rotation, that the bullpen will have to account for, or about a half season from a typical reliever.

I just don't think the net return we get from these two guys justifies three spots on the 25-man roster. Ridiculous.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a big Gutierrez fan, but we better not pick up his $7 million dollar option at the end of the year. If he can't figure out how to take a PED to stay healthy then it may be time to move on. Sounds like Saunders should be back soon, I think he's our CF of the future.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Replacing Vargas with Joe Saunders and carrying Franklin Gutierrez all year, is the equivalent of losing a roster on the 25-man roster, for the entire year. i'll explain:

Gutierrez is only going to play in about 80 games this year, even if he never actually goes on the DL, because he is too brittle. So, he is on the roster but unavailable for roughly half a season. That is the eqivalent of half of a roster spot. Vargas was always good for 200-215 innings. Joe Saunders is generally good for about 175-185 innings. That's a net loss of about 40 innings, from the rotation, that the bullpen will have to account for, or about a half season from a typical reliever.

I just don't think the net return we get from these two guys justifies three spots on the 25-man roster. Ridiculous.

It's frustrating that Gutierrez can't stay healthy. When he's healthy he is such a valuable player. One of the best centerfielders defensively in the game and at times can be a real solid bat in the lineup.

Would not be surprised to see him go on to play 300 straight games after he leaves the Mariners. That's just our luck.

I understand what you're saying here but if you were to go position by position trying to determine who is worthy of a major league roster spot and who is actually providing any value you probably wouldn't find much on our roster.

Also you could make the case that Saunders may be good for more than just 175-185 innings. Last year he had 174 but that was in just 28 starts, both times pitching in hitters parks. I think the Mariners can get 190 out of him, assuming he does not miss any of his starts.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As far as Vargas goes, it's worth noting that he has 3 starts, 14 innings and a 6.75 ERA. He's pitching tonight so that is obviously subject to change.