• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Flyers trade Jon Matsumoto for...

scottflyers88

Lets Go Flyers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
while i do understand what you are saying, there are a ton of things to consider. like ander said, people were talking about carter for bernier 1 for 1. that is awful. like he said, if we let someone pick him up next year we get 3 first round picks. for instance, we traded 2 first rounders and sbisa for pronger. do you think bernier is a hall of famer? because that is almost the value you are giving up to get him. not that carter is a hall of famer although look at what we have up for pronger. 2 first rounders, lupul, and sbisa. lupul was needed for the money to work out. carter will get us at least 3 first rounders if we let him go next year. pronger, the hall of famer got a little more than 3 first rounders in return. he is older though. although, are you saying that bernier is worth almost the same return as pronger? no way.

you are a gm so you know that if you fire the wrong person and hire a mediocre worker in his place then your job will be in jeopardy. well this is like that except times 100.

h X c Chris

foul-mouthed
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jon Matsumoto C 80 30 32 62

Those arent bad stats in the AHL...but that -19 is miserable. He did manage 3 shorties though. I cant see a 7th round pick doing much better, 62 points is decent. He's been the leading scorer of the Phantoms 2 seasons in a row, I think we couldve gotten a little more for him.

h X c Chris

foul-mouthed
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
we got to the stanley cup finals with leighton. if we can get a good 5th defenseman and nabokov then our team will be very much improved.

Thats one way to look at it but I myself thought Leighton played like an elite goalie to save our season. I doubt he could repeat that but I dont see many goalies outplaying what he did. On paper is a definite improvement.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was suprised he didn't get a call up last year. He seemed to have decent numbers but was never going to get a shot. -19 on that team is not as bad as it sounds. Scoring 30 on that team is, however, kind of impressive.:confused:

scottflyers88

Lets Go Flyers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
he is a center. no way he was going to make it. i think homer traded him as a favor. we traded his rights though. he was a rfa.

according to people on the flyers, he was awful defensively.

anderwho2513

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
according to people on the flyers, he was awful defensively.

According to cofran, he was a solid all around player. When a Rangers' fan says that about a Flyer prospect, I tend to believe him.

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
while i do understand what you are saying, there are a ton of things to consider. like ander said, people were talking about carter for bernier 1 for 1. that is awful. like he said, if we let someone pick him up next year we get 3 first round picks. for instance, we traded 2 first rounders and sbisa for pronger. do you think bernier is a hall of famer? because that is almost the value you are giving up to get him. not that carter is a hall of famer although look at what we have up for pronger. 2 first rounders, lupul, and sbisa. lupul was needed for the money to work out. carter will get us at least 3 first rounders if we let him go next year. pronger, the hall of famer got a little more than 3 first rounders in return. he is older though. although, are you saying that bernier is worth almost the same return as pronger? no way.

you are a gm so you know that if you fire the wrong person and hire a mediocre worker in his place then your job will be in jeopardy. well this is like that except times 100.

The only reason I didn't go into every minuet detail of what my job description is and what I need to know to accomplish my job successfully is because I didn't think I had to. I guess I was wrong.

I know all of the "how's" or "why's" of what Holmgren needs to do. I oversee probably 3x the amount of employees Homer has to worry about and trust me when I tell you, I know what can happen when the wrong guy is allowed to walk or when the right guy is allowed to stay. It's a learning process and one that I thought Homer had figured out completely....until this week.
The whole Hamhuis deal has left me wondering and puzzled. I mean, of course I don't know what is talked about in the Flyer's war room, (how could I?) but those guys should have had that boy gift wrapped before the ink even dried on that trade! They blew it completely and they should be embarrassed and ashamed of themselves for allowing the Flyer's organization to be made to look like incompetent fools.

Now.....Jeff Carter. I love the guy and all his scoring prowess, but he is a very valuable commodity and as of right this minute, is totally expendable.

There is NO WAY anyone can tell me that 90% of every GM out there isn't thinking "I wonder what it would take to get Carter here?" without knowing the answer in advance.....a top rate goalie, a everyday player and/or a high pick in next years draft.

All of this begs the next question and one that I don't have the energy to research every possible scenario to find out --- just how teams many are willing and or are capable of parting with those kinds of players??? Nashville, LA, San Jose and St. Louis and most likely a couple more.

Should a deal get done....hell fucking yeah!

Will a deal get done.....who knows. Time will tell us soon,but.....I hope.

Bottom line....he better get something solid done for this team or his term is going to end by this seasons end.

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to cofran, he was a solid all around player. When a Rangers' fan says that about a Flyer prospect, I tend to believe him.

Is cofran here at the SportsHoopla Andy??? lol

Man, I forgot all about that guy! We had a ton of fun through the early 2000's!

:D

scottflyers88

Lets Go Flyers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
well even if our team stayed the same they are still eastern conference champions.

as for the hamhuis deal, they did not talk to him before hand. nashville would not allow it. i am glad homer did not overpay either. i think the pens are in the same boat though.

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
haha Okay Scott. I get it.

You firmly believe that the Flyer's group didn't talk to anyone in Hamhuis' camp. Check!

I do, but if they/he didn't......they/he should be replaced asap for theirs/his incompetence. :)

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
....and, agreed. I'm glad they didn't overpay for a guy that touchy.

I DO hope the Pen's did though! lol

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just how long do you want to beat this dead horse Scott?

You'll never get me to admit to something which is not true....not matter how many times you say it bro....it isn't going to happen and I will continue to disagree with you.

Soooo....let's recap, shall we?

Yes..tampering is illegal.

Yes...it happens all the time through back channels.

Can I prove that? Of course not, but I know better because it's the same on the outside as my own job!!

Can we agree to disagree on this subject or shall we beat the dead mutilated thing all night?

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have a problem with trading Matsumoto if we weren't going to resign him. The last pick in the draft isn't a high profile thing, but it beats nothing. Late round picks are basically lottery tickets anyway, but unlike lottery tickets, they usually cost a lot more than a buck. We didn't really lose anything with the trade.

Kind of a lackluster draft, though. No major moves, but with the Pronger trade, we didn't have any ammunition besides Carter to use, and no way are you trading him for picks. We can still trade him for actual substance if we decide to.

That Hamhuis thing, though. That's just weird. I know we ended up better than we started - a third and a seventh for Parent is what we got out of it, and that's an upgrade, but I dunno if that is the best we could have ended it. Maybe keep Hamhuis and trade Carter for a solid goalie prospect, I dunno. Either way, I'm really not liking trading within the division, especially the Pens. What's up with Philly and trading to their rivals now? McNabb, Hamhuis. Next thing you know it'll be Halladay to the Mets for a song.

quoipourquoi

Did Not Fuck Leesha/Sarah
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jonathan Matsumoto is a great offensive player, but no, his defense isn't NHL caliber. Yet. If he wasn't going to sign, I get this, but otherwise?

FUCK. THAT. SHIT.

But hey, I'm biased.