• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Flyers to sign Cleary

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grain of salt because it's panotch, but..

How can the Flyers fit Dan Cleary on the roster? | Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia

flyers also officially announced that they signed cleary to a PTO, so that would go along with panotch's theory

and his math adds up if the 1.69 he used for schenn is right, but i'm pretty sure its not. 2 mil over + 2.75 for cleary can be covered by pronger's LTIR (4.9) though.. but i would bet a dump truck load of cash the flyers don't go in to the season using all of pronger's LTIR.. 200k isn't even enough to cover in season call-ups past like november.

Last edited by a moderator:

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grain of salt because it's panotch, but..

How can the Flyers fit Dan Cleary on the roster? | Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia

flyers also officially announced that they signed cleary to a PTO, so that would go along with panotch's theory

and his math adds up if the 1.69 he used for schenn is right, but i'm pretty sure its not. 2 mil over + 2.75 for cleary can be covered by pronger's LTIR (4.9) though.. but i would bet a dump truck load of cash the flyers don't go in to the season using all of pronger's LTIR.. 200k isn't even enough to cover in season call-ups past like november.

It's not really the money that puzzles me it's the three years. Did we really need him for 3 years? :wtf2:

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not really the money that puzzles me it's the three years. Did we really need him for 3 years? :wtf2:

They were probably forced into the 3rd year in order for him to sign. After giving the signing more thought, I guess I'm looking at it this way:

Year 1 - Cleary makes the team better. He'll be an upgrade this year over McGinn.
Year 2 - Probably a push. Cleary will be getting older and slower, but McGinn (or another forward) would have more NHL experience under their belt.
Year 3 - Probably makes the team worse. Cleary will be nearing the end of the road, and their prospects will have lost a lot of NHL game experience, so they'll still be "developing".

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were probably forced into the 3rd year in order for him to sign. After giving the signing more thought, I guess I'm looking at it this way:

Year 1 - Cleary makes the team better. He'll be an upgrade this year over McGinn.
Year 2 - Probably a push. Cleary will be getting older and slower, but McGinn (or another forward) would have more NHL experience under their belt.
Year 3 - Probably makes the team worse. Cleary will be nearing the end of the road, and their prospects will have lost a lot of NHL game experience, so they'll still be "developing".

Is Cleary that good where as he is calling the shots in years on his contract to Homer? If i was Homer i say here's 2 years at this pay and if you dont like it sign with somone else.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Cleary that good where as he is calling the shots in years on his contract to Homer? If i was Homer i say here's 2 years at this pay and if you dont like it sign with somone else.

I read that apparently a few teams were interested in him. This is a case where the Flyers had to overpay to get him. Still, I have no idea why Cleary?

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read that apparently a few teams were interested in him. This is a case where the Flyers had to overpay to get him. Still, I have no idea why Cleary?

Over paying to get Cleary WTF is wrong with that picture? :doh:

K

kengel6

Dan had ONE good season in Detroit. Even though Babcock experimented with him on line one, he was ALWAYS a 3rd or 4th line player. Has trouble along the boards, has problems in front of the net and avoids physical contact.

Good Luck Philly.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dan had ONE good season in Detroit. Even though Babcock experimented with him on line one, he was ALWAYS a 3rd or 4th line player. Has trouble along the boards, has problems in front of the net and avoids physical contact.

Good Luck Philly.

True, but he'll probably be a 3rd 4th liner on the Flyers as well. I think he'll be solid if they could use him right. Personally think the Flyers got a lot of good pieces this season, it's really about putting those pieces in the right places.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good Luck Philly.

I'm sorry but you're on crack. The guys a playoff warrior character role player. Pens fans said same thing about Talbot now want him back. We'll see how this shakes out but he's definitely a baller. Still surprised they went after him.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry but you're on crack. The guys a playoff warrior character role player. Pens fans said same thing about Talbot now want him back. We'll see how this shakes out but he's definitely a baller. Still surprised they went after him.

When did Pens fans say such things about Max? I don't think that even a Penguin bandwagoner could possibly overlook what Max did for the team after he "shhhh'd" the Flyers and then single handedly beat the Red Wings in game 7 of the 2009 SCF. Max has always been LOVED by Penguin fans. If a Penguin fan overlooked what Max did for the team I wouldn't even consider them to be a real Penguin fan.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, didn't mean to start beef with you, just wanted to let you know this Pens fan never thought it was cool to let Max go, we didn't call him Superstar Max Talbot because we thought of him as a mere role player. Dude is clutch & has the heart of a lion. I think every Penguin fan knows that about Max.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, didn't mean to start beef with you, just wanted to let you know this Pens fan never thought it was cool to let Max go, we didn't call him Superstar Max Talbot because we thought of him as a mere role player. Dude is clutch & has the heart of a lion. I think every Penguin fan knows that about Max.

No worries you obviously understand the value of players such as this. Usually top lines wash and it's guys like Talbot and Cleary that make the difference. Believe it or not quite a few pen fans ridiculed the Flyers signing of Talbot.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No worries you obviously understand the value of players such as this. Usually top lines wash and it's guys like Talbot and Cleary that make the difference. Believe it or not quite a few pen fans ridiculed the Flyers signing of Talbot.

Yeah true, people often do overlook the grinders.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No doubt Cleary is a playoff tested forward that teamates love to play with but the three year contract is unwarranted IMO.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Believe it or not quite a few pen fans ridiculed the Flyers signing of Talbot.

That's certainly the way I remember it too, although Doob really has been consistent in his support of Talbot. It sure seemed like more Pens fans than not were glad to see him go at the time, though.

mall3013

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if anyone brought this up, but do you think the Cleary deal may be more of Hextall giving Homer his feedback? Homer even said he wanted to resign Gagne when cap space was available. I'm wondering if Hextall is behind this?

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if anyone brought this up, but do you think the Cleary deal may be more of Hextall giving Homer his feedback? Homer even said he wanted to resign Gagne when cap space was available. I'm wondering if Hextall is behind this?

Hmmmmmmmmmm never thought of this. :noidea:

mall3013

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmmmmmmmmm never thought of this. :noidea:

How are you doing sir? Is it a sunny day in NYC today? It seems weird that this is the 1st Tuesday since '01 that Sept 11 has fallen on. Twelve years later and it's still hits me hard.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How are you doing sir? Is it a sunny day in NYC today? It seems weird that this is the 1st Tuesday since '01 that Sept 11 has fallen on. Twelve years later and it's still hits me hard.

It's definately a sad day ,i remember that day as i was in midtown and from my company's floor we could see the towers burning. Very helpless feeling. Although it didnt seem like it at the time that was a minor setback and we as of today are strong as ever thanks to service men like yourself.