• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: First Round - Washington Capitals vs. Philadelphia Flyers

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a damn thing to be ashamed of. Genuinely one of the most optimistic, exciting times I can remember as a Flyers fan. I'll save my end-of-season spiel for when the emotions calm down.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ugh, tough loss guys. Nice job making this series interesting tho :clap:
Sorry Doobs, I would wish you luck, but I just can't root for the Pens. It's bad enough that I just got a call from my in-laws form the 'Burgh area and got "ragged" on about not advancing.:L

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No regrets or excuses. Obviously not enough offense, but to lose 0-1 in game six after having scored only six goals throughout the entire series is pretty unreal. It is a testament to the heart and soul of this team, how well we played defensively top to bottom and Neuvy being a human brick wall in net.

You absolutely have to wonder how we would have fared if Neuvy had started every game, our power play ever got it going or we had played Florida instead.

However, I don't think it matters right now because I feel like the fucking Pens are going to roll whoever they play in round two. Did they not already fire a coach and win a Cup in the same year? Now they look poised to do it again. This shit is unreal...Lol

I have to close by saying that Ed Snider would be proud of the heart and soul of this team. The speed and skill will catch up here soon and watch out when it does.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No shame this teams rebuilding and only getting better the caps are all in this year. Too bad that the PP was so horrible and they stunk in the first 3 games.

Not impressed with the refs bad either way call a hook on G then holding the stick later on White same play be fucking consistent!!! At least PK redeemed themselves.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry Doobs, I would wish you luck, but I just can't root for the Pens. It's bad enough that I just got a call from my in-laws form the 'Burgh area and got "ragged" on about not advancing.:L
It's okay, we don't need luck this year :thumb:

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No shame this teams rebuilding and only getting better the caps are all in this year. Too bad that the PP was so horrible and they stunk in the first 3 games.

Not impressed with the refs bad either way call a hook on G then holding the stick later o White s play be fucking consistent!!! At least PK redeemed themselves.

It's not an excuse, but yes, the refereeing was awful in this final game. Neither team should've had a 5 on 3 and in situations where both players were guilty, they were calling only one penalty. You either call nothing or call them both. There is no other option in that scenario.

This just takes away from the validity of the game. It's tough to show discipline when the players don't know where the line is.

Last edited:

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not an excuse, but yes, the refereeing was awful in this final game. Neither team should've had a 5 on 3 and in situations where both players were guilty, they were calling only one penalty. You either call nothing or call them both. There is no other option in that scenario.

This just takes away from the validity of the game. It's tough to show discipline when the players don't know where the line is.
Agreed and frustrating for the fans too. Either way PP did them in. This game was theirs if they do anything on it...

They also couldn't afford to lose Couts just not enough depth which hurt the offense. I did think that the D was very good even AMac...they'll be good back their for a long time. Gudas was fun to watch...

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed and frustrating for the fans too. Either way PP did them in. This game was theirs if they do anything on it...

They also couldn't afford to lose Couts just not enough depth which hurt the offense. I did think that the D was very good even AMac...they'll be good back their for a long time. Gudas was fun to watch...

And despite logically being our weakest link on defense, you have to give Manning some credit for playing a very physical brand of hockey against some elite level talent and only taking two minor penalties. Our younger players got better as the series progressed, so this experience has been great for them.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, the lack of a viable power play definitely did us in. It's crazy because we have virtually every piece needed to have a dominant one, but Giroux/Voracek just haven't been themselves lately and as a unit, we just could not handle the immense defensive pressure. Decisions need to be made quicker and the puck needs to move around more. It really hurts that Jake has been ice cold with it on his side of the ice too.

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The officials were bad both ways.

Really really impressed with Hakstol's post game comments. Really looking forward to how this team moves forward.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And despite logically being our weakest link on defense, you have to give Manning some credit for playing a very physical brand of hockey against some elite level talent and only taking two minor penalties. Our younger players got better as the series progressed, so this experience has been great for them.
They will have lots of depth on D that will definitely be a strong point on the team moving forward.

We also can't forget about how well the goalies played. Not sure what's going to happen but they both contributed this year...

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The officials were bad both ways.

Really really impressed with Hakstol's post game comments. Really looking forward to how this team moves forward.
yes agreed but I still think the Flyers were shafted a little more in this series when you look a little closer. The caps were definitely shafted on the 5-3 but so were the Flyers on those calls that I mentioned...but in reality it didn't matter as the Flyers PP was horrible and they killed them all of in this game it was a the earlier games where they paid the price for some bad calls as their PK was horrible too.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, the lack of a viable power play definitely did us in. It's crazy because we have virtually every piece needed to have a dominant one, but Giroux/Voracek just haven't been themselves lately and as a unit, we just could not handle the immense defensive pressure. Decisions need to be made quicker and the puck needs to move around more. It really hurts that Jake has been ice cold with it on his side of the ice too.
It doesn't make sense as the PP was a top unit in the past same players except they added Ghost who has helped it??? G and especially Jake cooled off and that I guess was the biggest problem.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They will have lots of depth on D that will definitely be a strong point on the team moving forward.

We also can't forget about how well the goalies played. Not sure what's going to happen but they both contributed this year...

I'm not going to throw Mase under the bus because he got us into the playoffs. Facts are facts however. Neuvy had better regular and postseason numbers, in some cases way better. These two guys are the same age and their contracts both expire after next season. We're going to have to decide who our top guy moving forward is here soon.

Mase is and has been our starter, but Neuvy looks like a guy who could steal games for us in the playoffs. Mase hasn't shown that to us just yet.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should re-sign both Neuvy and Mason. Why let either one walk when they are both damn good goalies.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow,

What can you say??? It was a great season, better than what the critics said we would have.
Postseason, we took on the #1 team in the NHL and made them worry for a few games. A post season I might add, everyone said we would not be a part of.... This team has heart, and a ton of skill and a very bright future.

They stepped up when they needed to, they kicked ass when asses needed to be kicked, they took Hakstol's system and learned and accepted it quickly and made the doubters scratch their heads. They had the Capitals on their heels more in six games than anyone did the entire season. Nothing at all to be ashamed of, but everything to be proud of. It all came down to, We were just a little more beat up and at times had trouble treading water!!!!

Next season is going to be something to see!!! When they master Hakstol's system, When all the boys are healthy and ready to go again, and with all the young guys growing, and new faces entering the line-up..... Damn, Next Year is Going to Be Bad Ass!!!!!

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, I was one of those that doubted them, but that's partly because I didn't want disappointment and didn't want to hear the same excuses about why they couldn't get it done - they needed to prove to a lot of people that they could be a team counted on to win - they were inconsistent as could be for four and a half months and then finally found the extra cylinder when they had to

Let's not kid ourselves, this team still needs a lot in order to make the next step - the offense was just not there and part of it was the Caps great goaltending and team defense and part of it was simply the fact that the Flyers don't have enough offensive depth - I'm stunned that they went as far as they did with the defense they had too, I don't know if they could replicate it again with the same group - eventually the offense is going to need to improve and I don't think Hexy is going to do that via FA so it means draft, trades and current prospects that will be counted on to improve that area for them

Good season for them and hopefully they learn from it all - glad that this team has a coach who is cool as a cucumber and has a terrific perspective for the game, the Flyers are in good hands behind the bench

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's reasonable to expect the offense to improve with everyone getting healthy, including Couturier, Del Zotto and all of our top guys, plus another year experience for the rookies. Also, with guys like Provorov, Sanheim and Konecny soon on the way. So, that area is going to get better. There may be room for another scoring winger too via free agency or trade.

Our defense and goaltending ultimately did a tremendous job in the final three games of the series. The Caps were second only to Dallas in scoring this season and we held them to two goals in the last three games.

They also didn't lose back to back games in regulation all season long and we were able to do that in games 4 and 5.