• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Favorite "weird" food you have tried and enjoyed...

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off, to be clear, I don't REALLY find any food truly weird(so many different cultures out there, its not fair to say what anyone eats is weird/gross). I know there are some foods or dishes many people would look at on a menu and NEVER consider trying, plus probably say to themselves "what the hell?"... But maybe they shouldn't!!!

My example. Raku Las Vegas, Kobe Beef Liver Sashimi. I'm sure that some just reading Liver Sashimi think its bizarre/gross, but guess what? it was REALLY good!!! It was so good that next time I go there, I would likely have it again. I ordered it thinking I was not going to like the dish AT ALL. It was one of about 10 small dishes I tasted that night and finished every piece...

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, my favorite order from sonic "Super Sonic Double Cheeseburger with chilli, pickles, onion and lettuce" always gets me crazy looks.

But it's pretty damn good if you don't mind a shit ton calories.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have had deep fried calimari (squid) with baby octopus many times before. Well maybe not many, but at least a double handful, it's a fairly common pairing. But the first time I ordered octopus and got served wrist thick tentacles I was pretty freaked out.

They tasted delicious though.

But I like pretty much every seafood I've ever had... as long as it's cooked. Not a huge fan of raw sushi or ceviche (nor tar tar)

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I enjoy a lot of pork "by products." country puddin, liver puddin, hog head cheese, pickled pigs feet, pig knuckles, chitlins, en sech. I've had sushi cut right off a fish that was still flopping on the deck, which isn't saying a lot because I've eaten live bait (mud minnows) before as well. I've had snails and a lot of the other odd servings that "fine" dining offers too.

My favorite though, is probably walking down to the marsh and plucking up a cluster of oysters and eating them right there. The benefits of living and working on the SC coast. We do a lot of work for people that have access to a creek or river and we'll ease down there with a screwdriver or a 5 in 1 tool or whatever tool is handy, pluck them up and enjoy. It's like a sore dick .... you can't beat it.

:suds:

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the way, I don't know if any of that qualifies as weird though.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have had deep fried calimari (squid) with baby octopus many times before. Well maybe not many, but at least a double handful, it's a fairly common pairing. But the first time I ordered octopus and got served wrist thick tentacles I was pretty freaked out.

They tasted delicious though.

But I like pretty much every seafood I've ever had... as long as it's cooked. Not a huge fan of raw sushi or ceviche (nor tar tar)

Freaked out huh? I had something like that at the same place Raku I mentioned in the original post. It was towards the end of one of my meals, I was still a little hungry and wanted to try a couple more dishes. One of the dishes I ordered was the Kobe Beef Tendon, sounded good to me. When it arrives, it was two huge pieces of roasted fat, and I mean PURE fat. I took a bite or two and just couldn't do it.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I enjoy a lot of pork "by products." country puddin, liver puddin, hog head cheese, pickled pigs feet, pig knuckles, chitlins, en sech. I've had sushi cut right off a fish that was still flopping on the deck, which isn't saying a lot because I've eaten live bait (mud minnows) before as well. I've had snails and a lot of the other odd servings that "fine" dining offers too.

My favorite though, is probably walking down to the marsh and plucking up a cluster of oysters and eating them right there. The benefits of living and working on the SC coast. We do a lot of work for people that have access to a creek or river and we'll ease down there with a screwdriver or a 5 in 1 tool or whatever tool is handy, pluck them up and enjoy. It's like a sore dick .... you can't beat it.

:suds:

Oh wow, oysters that fresh must be AMAZING!!!

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh wow, oysters that fresh must be AMAZING!!!
It is, but only when it's cold, at least for me. There's something about an ice cold, salty ass oyster that's simply delicious. No butter, no hot sauces, no cocktail .... just you and a cold oyster. Good stuff.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is, but only when it's cold, at least for me. There's something about an ice cold, salty ass oyster that's simply delicious. No butter, no hot sauces, no cocktail .... just you and a cold oyster. Good stuff.

I'm with you!!! a great oyster really doesn't really need anything. Those sauces and such tend to cover the flavors rather than enhance them...

SDPaddlefish

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,390.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Long story which I won't relate here, but in 1987 I was at the Indiana victory party at the final four in New Orleans. For some ungodly reason, several of us very drunk people had a contest to see who could eat the most oysters (they were free at this party). I won with what I recall as 13 oysters, but the other contestants swear that I ate between 20-30. All I know is that that I ended up with an intestinal infection that was terrible and I basically lived on the toilet for 3 days, during which I lost 15 lbs. No oysters since.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Long story which I won't relate here, but in 1987 I was at the Indiana victory party at the final four in New Orleans. For some ungodly reason, several of us very drunk people had a contest to see who could eat the most oysters (they were free at this party). I won with what I recall as 13 oysters, but the other contestants swear that I ate between 20-30. All I know is that that I ended up with an intestinal infection that was terrible and I basically lived on the toilet for 3 days, during which I lost 15 lbs. No oysters since.
Damn, that's brutal. Can't blame you for avoiding them after that.

SDPaddlefish

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,390.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off, to be clear, I don't REALLY find any food truly weird(so many different cultures out there, its not fair to say what anyone eats is weird/gross). I know there are some foods or dishes many people would look at on a menu and NEVER consider trying, plus probably say to themselves "what the hell?"... But maybe they shouldn't!!!

My example. Raku Las Vegas, Kobe Beef Liver Sashimi. I'm sure that some just reading Liver Sashimi think its bizarre/gross, but guess what? it was REALLY good!!! It was so good that next time I go there, I would likely have it again. I ordered it thinking I was not going to like the dish AT ALL. It was one of about 10 small dishes I tasted that night and finished every piece...
I used to travel frequently and enjoyed checking out the local establishments to see what they liked. In all my travels, I can't think of any weird dish that I enjoyed to any great extent. However, the curried goat that I had on Great Cayman Island truly stands out as my worst meal ever.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's the problem with shellfish...No matter how many you eat, It just takes ONE bad one to absolutely DESTROY your stomach. I don't eat them often, but when I do it's ALWAYS from a good restaurant, but there is still a possibility of getting sick(which yes, unfortunately has happened to me in the past).

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've had it, tastes like chicken. And yes, not much meat at all.
There's isnt a whole helluva lot on just one.

To me it's more like pork, but if nobody told you it was squirrel, you could think it was chicken.

My buddy likes to make squirrel n dumplins. I've never complained.