• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Favorite IPA/Imperial IPA

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, I've been on an IPA kick over this last year. I don't have a lot of selection unless I drive an hour or more. So what are your favorites so that I can keep an eye out if I come across it? So far I've enjoyed the DFH 90 min IPA, but they come in 4 packs for about $10 and want to see if I could find another good Imperial IPA cheaper per bottle. I have made a few homebrew batches of a Surly Furious clone in the last year, but don't have access to the real thing to truly compare.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're probably not going to find the top tier IPAs since they just don't have wide distribution, like DFH does.

The Alchemist Brewing's Heady Topper is awesome though not distributed at all. You'd have to trade for it or drive to VT
Russian River's Pliny the Elder is one of the OGs of the IIPA world - Nor Cal
Alpine Brewing's IPAs are all amazing - San Diego
Boneyard's RPM, Hop Venom, and Notorious out of Portland, OR
3-Way IPA, a collaboration between Boneyard, Fort George, and Block 15 is stupid good

Some easier to attain beers to look out for would be Stone's Enjoy By series. They release a few batches per year and are intended to be drank as fresh as possible so they print the enjoy by date right into the name. You actually can order Surly beers, including Furious right now on France44.com, though you're not gonna find cheaper options than about $10/4pack for the good stuff.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just some others off the top of my head to look out for at your local craft shop:

- Avery Maharaja
- Cigar City Jai Alai
- Elysian's Manic Series - Not sure if they get out there or not
- Bell's Hopslam - Very limited when it's released earlier in the year
- Troegg's Nugget Nectar - Also early in the year, once a year release
- Bell's Two Hearted - Much easier to find if they distribute to VA, also available online

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None. Don't like IPA's or anything else to drink that tastes like my wife's perfume, unless she's willing to spread it on her neck.

Win TWINS!!!

Least Racist Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, I've been on an IPA kick over this last year. I don't have a lot of selection unless I drive an hour or more. So what are your favorites so that I can keep an eye out if I come across it? So far I've enjoyed the DFH 90 min IPA, but they come in 4 packs for about $10 and want to see if I could find another good Imperial IPA cheaper per bottle. I have made a few homebrew batches of a Surly Furious clone in the last year, but don't have access to the real thing to truly compare.

Surly Furious is my IPA of choice. It truly is a hops bomb... love the stuff, and I don't mind paying the $10-12 a 4 pak. IMO, it's well worth it.

Others I've been turned onto, are Stone IPA, Lagunitas IPA and Lagunitas Lil Sumpin Sumpin. I'd say the Lil Sumpin Sumpin is more like a cross between an English pale ale and an IPA. A little bready, but is perfect to have at the end of the day and get sleepy with just one.

:suds:

Win TWINS!!!

Least Racist Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting points brought up here.... never considered ordering online before...

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-Pliny the Elder by Russian River (Santa Rosa, CA)
-Dirtwolf by Victory (Downington PA)
-Hoptopus by Beach Brewing Co. (Va Beach)
-Brew Free or Die by 21st Amendment (San Fran, CA)
-Racer 5 by Bear Republic (Sonoma CA)
-Shipwrecked by Mission (San Diego CA)
-Torpedo by SN
-Lot 3 by Evolution (Salisbury MD)

to name a couple of my go to's

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just some others off the top of my head to look out for at your local craft shop:

- Avery Maharaja
- Cigar City Jai Alai
- Elysian's Manic Series - Not sure if they get out there or not
- Bell's Hopslam - Very limited when it's released earlier in the year
- Troegg's Nugget Nectar - Also early in the year, once a year release
- Bell's Two Hearted - Much easier to find if they distribute to VA, also available online

If you can find it, look for Hop Drop and Roll (NoDa out of Charlotte I believe), or if you find yourself in the Asheville area Wicked Weed's Freak of Nature. In a year or so, I bet they're bottling and shipping Freak of Nature out, WW is opening up a 50,000 barrel production facility to distribute in a larger area obviously. I mean, I can try to drink 50,000 barrels a year, but have my doubts.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you can find it, look for Hop Drop and Roll (NoDa out of Charlotte I believe), or if you find yourself in the Asheville area Wicked Weed's Freak of Nature. In a year or so, I bet they're bottling and shipping Freak of Nature out, WW is opening up a 50,000 barrel production facility to distribute in a larger area obviously. I mean, I can try to drink 50,000 barrels a year, but have my doubts.
I have a fellow beer geek buddy who just moved to NC and he's sending me a box of Wicked Weed goodies soon.

williewilliejuan

Giant Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
- Ballast Point Sculpin IPA
- Alesmith IPA
- Lagunitas Hop Stoopid IPA
- Firestone Walker Union Jack IPA
- Coronado Idiot IPA

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something the OP should be noticing is that almost all of the recommendations are west coast IPAs. No coincidence there. You generally get more malt character from IPAs from the east coast and midwest than the west coast. We tend to dry hop the shit out of our beers, then in the harvest season, we'll churn out wet-hopped IPAs, which require the hops to be included within 24 hours of them being harvested.

They're stupid good.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Anti-Hero by Revolution, but they only distribute to Chicago and Ohio??????
Most any IPA from Lagunitas I tend to like.
Bells Two Hearted is also widely distributed.
Three Floyd's puts out some awesome IPA/IIPA's as well, although there isn't much shipped out of the brewery.
Avery Dirtwolf is also very good.

antone112

who gives a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,290.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Torpedo with out a doubt.

antone112

who gives a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,290.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something the OP should be noticing is that almost all of the recommendations are west coast IPAs. No coincidence there. You generally get more malt character from IPAs from the east coast and midwest than the west coast. We tend to dry hop the shit out of our beers, then in the harvest season, we'll churn out wet-hopped IPAs, which require the hops to be included within 24 hours of them being harvested.

They're stupid good.

Malt should be banned in IPAs. Would make my fucking day.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
West Coast Brewery!

They make some of the best beers out there, period. 2 IPA's that are must try beers;

1) West Coast Green Flash IPA;
2) West Coast Red IPA;

They also have the West Coast Double IPA, and many others.

San Diego Brewery, and one of the best in the business.

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a tough time answering this question. I find I get obsessed about a new beer every 6 weeks or so, only to discover another one just as good.

Some of my favorites: Pliny The Elder (Russian River), Hop Stoopid (Lagunitas), Wipeout Ale (Port Brewing), Fresh Squeezed IPA (Deschutes), Racer 5 (Bear Republic), Sculpin' (Ballast Point)...

I like almost everything West Coast and Stone put out as well.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
West Coast Brewery!

They make some of the best beers out there, period. 2 IPA's that are must try beers;

1) West Coast Green Flash IPA;
2) West Coast Red IPA;

They also have the West Coast Double IPA, and many others.

San Diego Brewery, and one of the best in the business.

Sounds like you mean Green Flash brewing. West Coast IPA is pretty delicious as long as you're a fan of the more bitter IPAs as opposed to the fruitier styles.

Green Flash Brewing Company

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lagunitas has a couple great IPAs (Lagunitas Sucks, Lagunitas IPA, DayTime and Hop Stoopid)
Ballast Point Sculpin IPA
Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale
Victory Hop Wallop (RIP)
Smuttynose Finestkind IPA
Firestone Walker Union Jack
Bear Republic Racer 5 (haven't had that in a while though, not many places sell it around here) :/

Really want to try Maine Beer Company's IPAs.

Last edited by a moderator: