• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Extending Marte

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Some people seem to think that the fact that he only received an $85,000 bonus would make him possibly accept a team friendly deal. To me that is just stupid talk, it is almost always better to wait and go to free agency. I don't like Boras, but what he does with his agents is the model for the way agents should work. I am not an agent, but if I were my advice to every client would be to never accept one penny less than that player deserved. Not because I want to see every one of my clients continue to move around, but simply because the owners make money hand over fist, why shouldn't the employees?

So going back to what NH said, I would tend to not have any of my clients sign with the Pirates because they would not be paying what the player is worth.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has risks for Marte too, if he gets hurt/flames out... thats a lot of money he is never going to get back.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It has risks for Marte too, if he gets hurt/flames out... thats a lot of money he is never going to get back.

True, but in most cases the reward does not outweigh the risk. As an agent, I would rather take the risk that Marte would continue to be a 3+ WAR player and wait for the payday later, than sell out 2 years of free agency at a decreased value due to a perceived risk.

This is solely my opinion, but if a team is trying to get a long term extension with a player that has 1+ year of service time, then they feel that player will be good in 5 years. In some cases, like Tabata, it doesn't work out perfectly for the team. In other cases, Cutch, it works out great. I just think, in the long run, as an agent, it would always be better to take my clients to free agency. As a player it may not always work out, but solely speaking from an agents perspective, I would prefer free agency for my clients. That comes with the caveat that anything can change, if I were the agent for Mike Trout, and the Angels offered 10 and $400 million, I would be hard pressed to say not to take it.

In the case of Marte in particular, if I could get a fair market deal, then it would make some sense, but he is 26 I believe, so if he signed a deal giving up free agent years, he would in essence be giving up his one huge payday since he would not hit free agency until 32 or 33. As it stands he will go to free agency at 31. At that age he can still get a 5-6 year deal, at 33 he would be lucky to get 4, and that is why I would go the free agent route with him as an agent. That being said, if the Pirates are offering $17 million for each free agent year, then it would definitely have to be considered.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess it depends on what was offered, if it was a Jose Tabata like deal I wouldn't accept it either. If it was close to McCutchen's he probably should have taken the security.

But it's definitely a personal choice on the part of the player.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but in most cases the reward does not outweigh the risk. As an agent, I would rather take the risk that Marte would continue to be a 3+ WAR player and wait for the payday later, than sell out 2 years of free agency at a decreased value due to a perceived risk.

This is solely my opinion, but if a team is trying to get a long term extension with a player that has 1+ year of service time, then they feel that player will be good in 5 years. In some cases, like Tabata, it doesn't work out perfectly for the team. In other cases, Cutch, it works out great. I just think, in the long run, as an agent, it would always be better to take my clients to free agency. As a player it may not always work out, but solely speaking from an agents perspective, I would prefer free agency for my clients. That comes with the caveat that anything can change, if I were the agent for Mike Trout, and the Angels offered 10 and $400 million, I would be hard pressed to say not to take it.

In the case of Marte in particular, if I could get a fair market deal, then it would make some sense, but he is 26 I believe, so if he signed a deal giving up free agent years, he would in essence be giving up his one huge payday since he would not hit free agency until 32 or 33. As it stands he will go to free agency at 31. At that age he can still get a 5-6 year deal, at 33 he would be lucky to get 4, and that is why I would go the free agent route with him as an agent. That being said, if the Pirates are offering $17 million for each free agent year, then it would definitely have to be considered.

I think there is a huge difference between 'as an agent' because yeah in the aggregate you are going to win for your clients in the long run in the aggregate. And a player, who is just 1 part of the aggregate of the agent's clients, and could be one of the losses just as easily as one of the huge wins.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I guess it depends on what was offered, if it was a Jose Tabata like deal I wouldn't accept it either. If it was close to McCutchen's he probably should have taken the security.

But it's definitely a personal choice on the part of the player.

It is an interesting paradigm. Marte is probably worth McCutchen money in today's game, but you can't give him more than Cutch, and Huntington has already said that the Pirates won't pay market value.

Also, the financial security approach is weak at best, not a shot at you element, I know what you are saying, but league minimum money would place them in the top 1% for American salaries, so you can imagine what that money would be like in DR.

As a player, I could understand the certainty associated with millions of dollars, but it has to be taken on a case by case basis. If you are very young, then there would be some good reasons to sell out a couple free agent years, you would still have a shot at a huge payday later. For mid to late 20 year olds, you may only get one shot, and it may be in your best i nterrest to play it out and hit free agency as young as you possibly can.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's really about risk tolerance for the player, I don't think there is a right answer to the question though. Especially for players who are very good, and project to be very good for a while.

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We all take jobs at a lesser salary because it affords certain comforts and avoids risks.
Whether a shorter commute, not taking a promotion because we would have to move our kids or be away form the cancer center our kids need or because of the hours, stress, or demands of the new position.

Players look at comfort of the city, culture of the city, going to a winner, chance to play and shine, teammates they like, coaches and trainers who will grow them and take care of them, etc. Unfortunately, not as many view this indirect compensation package like other professionals do in the real work place when signing or testing free agency.

each player will value money the most, but each differs in the value they put on the indirect compensation, just like we all do in the real world.
as pittsburgh becomes more attractive in various organizational ways, hopefully the indirect compensation can play a big part to the right players we go after.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all take jobs at a lesser salary because it affords certain comforts and avoids risks.
Whether a shorter commute, not taking a promotion because we would have to move our kids or be away form the cancer center our kids need or because of the hours, stress, or demands of the new position.

Players look at comfort of the city, culture of the city, going to a winner, chance to play and shine, teammates they like, coaches and trainers who will grow them and take care of them, etc. Unfortunately, not as many view this indirect compensation package like other professionals do in the real work place when signing or testing free agency.

each player will value money the most, but each differs in the value they put on the indirect compensation, just like we all do in the real world.
as pittsburgh becomes more attractive in various organizational ways, hopefully the indirect compensation can play a big part to the right players we go after.

And really, that money goes at lot further in Pittsburgh than it would in most other major cities.

But yeah, good post I agree. I think we forget things like that. Some guys don't want the pressure of a huge deal either, they'd rather take a good deal in a place they are already comfortable. But again it's a person to person basis.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a pretty good price on Marte. Will be interesting to see how the option years are structured.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6 years 31 mil is a nice deal for the Bucs on this one. Could turn out to be one hell of a bargain.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great news!

Takes the sting out of the offseason for me, I can live with it now.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If rumblings are to be trusted (but are they ever?) there could still be a significant move coming.

What am I missing? This and the "Pirates need to trade for a first baseman" noise are all I have heard. Is there something else?

TheBurgh88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Great signing. Best thing they have done this offseason.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What am I missing? This and the "Pirates need to trade for a first baseman" noise are all I have heard. Is there something else?

Just the new Didi rumors and the never ending Ike Davis speculation.