• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Eagles realease Mathis

djm

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not like I dislike Mathis but he still isn't signed by another team. My guess is that Barbre was going back to Guard once Johnson's suspension was up last year. He was injured in the first game and was on IR the remainder of the season. Maybe Mathis lost the job in training camp last year.

To me, they cut a guy that was complaining and was not penciled in to be the starter. Again, if he were such a great player he would have already been signed.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its interesting to see Kelly arguable waste money all over the place in the total interest of building a great 53 man roster.
- Last year he signed Maragos and Braman to really good contracts to do nothing but play special teams.
- This year he keeps DeMeco Ryans who looks like a total spare part at this point.
- Ditto on Brad Jones. Significant bonus to be at best their 4th ILB and I assume special teams.
- Ditto on Miles Austin. Looks to be at best their #4 WR and got a nice bonus.
- Ditto on Ryan Matthews. A third RB making $3M a year.
- Gave Sanchez $5M+ to be a backup QB.
- Traded for Bradford who is making $13M a year and could end up not even starting for them.

No drafting for next year, or winning the cap battle or positioning yourself for next year running through Kelly's mind at all. This is a football guy given the keys to the vault and acting on one idea and one only...to win games in 2015.

To think that this guy would hesitate much to throw a spare mil or two at Mathis if he thought it would make a difference in winning a game or two is ludicrous really. Even more ludicrous to think he would cut him if he thought he was one of their 2 best guards.

Kelly may very well be wrong, but to suggest this is about anything other than winning football games is really just not paying attention to the way the guy operates.

G

greenwing

Not like I dislike Mathis but he still isn't signed by another team. My guess is that Barbre was going back to Guard once Johnson's suspension was up last year. He was injured in the first game and was on IR the remainder of the season. Maybe Mathis lost the job in training camp last year.

To me, they cut a guy that was complaining and was not penciled in to be the starter. Again, if he were such a great player he would have already been signed.

The problem is he wants a huge paycheck and no one is will to just give him that at 34. Its not that terams aren't interested, its that Mathis is being greedy. If I was chip i would have just told Mathis tough shit, play out the contract you signed.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Chip just got sick of this guy. And it seems his teammates got sick of him too.

He clearly priced himself out of the market thanks to Drew Rosenhaus giving him bad advice. He will get signed by someone but probably not until training camps start and someone gets hurt. And it probably won't be for the payday he was seeking.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is he wants a huge paycheck and no one is will to just give him that at 34. Its not that terams aren't interested, its that Mathis is being greedy. If I was chip i would have just told Mathis tough shit, play out the contract you signed.

The issue is that Mathis had this attitude about being underpaid, when in actuality he may have been well overpaid. I would be curious if now that he has tested the market a little more seriously if there would be mutual interest in having him back? The Eagles could be really nice about if they wanted to...offer him the exact same contract and tell him how much they love him. The But I think is that he would come back as second string and need to beat out Tobin or Barbre to see the field.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its the same deal just different contract years. Your logic as described Is circular. Mine was straightforward. Player shows up performs well wins job over player that doesn't show up. Why is that so hard to understand?

Because no football was played. When football was being played Mathis was the starter.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its interesting to see Kelly arguable waste money all over the place in the total interest of building a great 53 man roster.
- Last year he signed Maragos and Braman to really good contracts to do nothing but play special teams.
- This year he keeps DeMeco Ryans who looks like a total spare part at this point.
- Ditto on Brad Jones. Significant bonus to be at best their 4th ILB and I assume special teams.
- Ditto on Miles Austin. Looks to be at best their #4 WR and got a nice bonus.
- Ditto on Ryan Matthews. A third RB making $3M a year.
- Gave Sanchez $5M+ to be a backup QB.
- Traded for Bradford who is making $13M a year and could end up not even starting for them.

No drafting for next year, or winning the cap battle or positioning yourself for next year running through Kelly's mind at all. This is a football guy given the keys to the vault and acting on one idea and one only...to win games in 2015.

To think that this guy would hesitate much to throw a spare mil or two at Mathis if he thought it would make a difference in winning a game or two is ludicrous really. Even more ludicrous to think he would cut him if he thought he was one of their 2 best guards.

Kelly may very well be wrong, but to suggest this is about anything other than winning football games is really just not paying attention to the way the guy operates.

LOL yeah wasting money is a great thing because he's ALL ABOUT WINNING. And better yet he is the only one. Winning doesn't really concern the other organizations.

Also, that Ryan Mathews money isn't wasted. McCoy has been extremely durable for Kelly. Even playing through concussions for him. It would have been ridiculous to throw some street free agent running backs in there just because Kelly didn't like the guy's perspective. So he built a nice full stable. Smart money, not wasted money.

Miles Austin was to replace Maclin before they knew if they'd have a chance at a WR they liked in the draft. Sure he could have waited, and/or spent less on him, but he's a rookie GM and inexperienced guys make mistakes.

Kelly obviously places a lot of value on middle linebackers and his roster was pretty bare there and full of injured guys. They signed Jones before Kiko became available. Jones is also most likely a special teamer. And he may be a more useful roster spot than Braman since he could swing outside too. They are probably in competition. Their contracts are basically the same. Chip will pay for special teamers. We know this already.

Chip has used a backup QB every single year he's been in this league. He even had a great year at Oregon after kicking his starting QB off the team. That's not wasted money, that's well spent.

As we are seeing Nick and Sam will be costing about the same this season. Bradford isn't wasted money, That's his freaking starting QB! Most good starting QBs are making upwards of 20milion or more.

Demeco is the heart of his defense. He likes the way the guy works. He doesn't have a big contract. The next two years he's making half of what he did the last two years and a million of that is a roster bonus NEXT year.

Just wanted to set all that straight.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOLwasting money is a great thing because he's ALL ABOUT WINNING. And better yet he is the only one. Winning doesn't really concern the other organizations.

Also, that Ryan Mathews money isn't wasted. McCoy has been extremely durable for Kelly. Even playing through concussions for him. It would have been ridiculous to throw some street free agent running backs in there just because Kelly didn't like the guy's perspective. So he built a nice full stable. Smart money, not wasted money.

Miles Austin was to replace Maclin before they knew if they'd have a chance at a WR they liked in the draft. Sure he could have waited, and/or spent less on him, but he's a rookie GM and inexperienced guys make mistakes.

Kelly obviously places a lot of value on middle linebackers and his roster was pretty bare there and full of injured guys. They signed Jones before Kiko became available. Jones is also most likely a special teamer. And he may be a more useful roster spot than Braman since he could swing outside too. They are probably in competition. Their contracts are basically the same. Chip will pay for special teamers. We know this already.

Chip has used a backup QB every single year he's been in this league. He even had a great year at Oregon after kicking his starting QB off the team. That's not wasted money, that's well spent.

As we are seeing Nick and Sam will be costing about the same this season. Bradford isn't wasted money, That's his freaking starting QB! Most good starting QBs are making upwards of 20milion or more.

Demeco is the heart of his defense. He likes the way the guy works. He doesn't have a big contract. The next two years he's making half of what he did the last two years and a million of that is a roster bonus NEXT year.

Could not agree more. All good football moves. If Keeping Mathis was a good football move he would be here too. This is all about achieving Kelly's vision for a winning team.

Deano

Mental ninja
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He should send a thank you card to his agent for costing him $10 million.

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He should send a thank you card to his agent for costing him $10 million.

Any athlete stilll stupid enough to have hired Drew Rosenhaus... well.... one would almost go as far as saying they deserve this nonsense.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any athlete stilll stupid enough to have hired Drew Rosenhaus... well.... one would almost go as far as saying they deserve this nonsense.

Absolutely! Rosenpuke has ruined many players, renegotiating contracts, so he can get paid.

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
greed... by agent and player... one of the major human pitfalls.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL yeah wasting money is a great thing because he's ALL ABOUT WINNING. And better yet he is the only one. Winning doesn't really concern the other organizations.

I think that having Austin and Demeco here, will be excellent depth as well as leaders. Very good decisions, as far as I'm concerned. We're finally on the right track, Guys, so let's enjoy the ride!

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Day 48 of the Evan Mathis watch, and arguably a key point in his career. Teams are all opening training camp this week with several already in session. Its important for teams to have their starters, especially at Offensive Line in camp and working together at this juncture.

You could argue that up to this point, teams and Mathis were just posturing over money and would ultimately strike a deal just in time for Training Camp. It now looks like that isn't going to happen and teams are going to give it a go with their current group. Pretty surprising if you believe the press about Mathis being one of the top 5 guards in the NFL.

So what is next? Injuries or performance may force someone's hand, but in reality, offensive lineman don't get injured too often, and performance issues for guards are often subjective. Hard to imagine that some team is going to suddenly decide it needs to hand a $5M plus contract to an offensive guard at this point...Arguably one of the most replaceable positions on a football team.

Mathis needs to cave in and cave in now. Whatever is the best offer on the table is probably about as good as its going to get. And getting paid anything...even veteran minimum...is way better than anything he can earn outside the game.

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to imagine that some team is going to suddenly decide it needs to hand a $5M plus contract to an offensive guard at this point...Arguably one of the most replaceable positions on a football team

then why take one in the 1st round?

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Eagles signed Mathis on July 31 when we got him. This ain't new for him.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
then why take one in the 1st round?

So most teams generally don't. OGs make up 9% of your starters, and over the last 6 years, they have made up 4% of the first round picks. If you look at the top half of the first round, they have only made up 2% of the picks. Its never a bad idea to draft a great player, but teams generally wait on the Guards.

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So most teams generally don't. OGs make up 9% of your starters, and over the last 6 years, they have made up 4% of the first round picks. If you look at the top half of the first round, they have only made up 2% of the picks. Its never a bad idea to draft a great player, but teams generally wait on the Guards.

I just think you exaggerate to make your point. I think G is a bit more important than 'the most replaceable position' as you describe it. Even K and TE come to mind. And the stats... 9% of your starters??? By that measure, QB Is an even lower %. Is it then less important? If not, then why are you using that stat? I'm not going to get into a back/forth with you over this trivial stuff - it just seems you majorly exaggerate to justify a position. I might even agree with some of your positions. But your rational leaves me scratching my head at times.