• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Eagles realease Mathis

DaEagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This might be the dumbest move so far for ol Chipper.

We needed to upgrade the OL this offseason and didn't and then you let go of one of your best OLmen.

WTF

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this makes me fall back on my very first impression of Chip and my 1 primary concern.

I am concerned that Chip is so used to dealing with college kids that are simply mini-yes-men that never question anything and just happy to get playing time and wouldn't DARE do anything but say "how high" when a coach tells them to jump - that he is very fast to get rid of anyone that gives him any resistance whatsoever. These are not college kids, but grown men that are paid and this is their living. I'm "NOT" saying I'm defending Mathis in any way or not - I'm simply renewing a concern and find this as continued evidence that Chip will shoot himself (and this team) in the foot to avoid difficulties that are simply part of the business side of the NFL. I am not sure you can win a championship getting rid of players at this rate, when you can't replacement at the same rate. Is this going to 'demotivate' higher achievement because then that will make you worth more money, and they will get rid of you before paying you. Is this going to make PHI have a reputation among the elite or veterans that this is not the place to go? Can we win with the youngest roster of people that have not come into their own yet and are going to want more money??? Chip is use to players rotating out and believing that scheme is everything. That is one of the HUGE differences between college and the pro level. I don't believe you can just scheme into a championship. I think you have to have that AND some elite talent as well. I'm not sure Chip realizes this yet.

TEB11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope my Rams pick him up to add depth. This is an area that we need help in and Evan Mathis would be a perfect fit!

GenJac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish we could of gotten him for a trade but I understand the business side of this. Mathis should do great whereever he goes and if teams were smart they should pick him up. I see him going to a team in the AFC. My prediction would be Bills, Jets, Phins, KC, or Raiders. I hope him the best whenever he doesn't play against the Eagles.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not trade him? :scratch:

Chip is infatuated with getting rid of this old Philly squad and starting his own brand, but if he's not careful.. His own brand may go 3-13.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not trade him? :scratch:

Chip is infatuated with getting rid of this old Philly squad and starting his own brand, but if he's not careful.. His own brand may go 3-13.

They have been actively trying to trade him from my understanding the last 2 off seasons. The issue for Mathis is injuries, age, and salary. That is 3 red flags that while he has been productive teams just wonder if he is worth the risk. At this point I would think he has to go to a contender. There will be some team that thinks in the line of an All-Pro Guard could be a missing piece to a possible Super Bowl Title. I honestly do hope the Broncos give him a long hard look as right now they could go into the season with the most inexperienced OL in the past 10 years. I would feel much better if Mathis is the guy next to our rookie starting at LT.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mathis loses! And a lot of money. He won't get anything close to what he would have made. A shame. He turned out to be a jerk. Just listen to what his ex-teammates have said this week. While they've been working out - he stayed home and kissed Rosenpuke, who lead another good player down the tubes. Ala, T.O., who said he wished he would've stayed here and won a SB. Chip isn't the dope that some of you guys have posted. How come so many players could not wait to play for him?

DaEagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just read a tweet that of Howies 23 new players added in 2011 during FA/Draft, Chip has cut/traded all but one of them...Jason Kelce being he lone survivor.

Terrible fuckin move. This guys a fuckin arrogant douche

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Eagles are not going to be over .500 with no guards and Sam Bradford at QB. Sanchez is going to start half the season. A single injury to a guy like Peters or Kelce and this is a 4 win offensive team.

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Eagles are not going to be over .500 with no guards and Sam Bradford at QB. Sanchez is going to start half the season. A single injury to a guy like Peters or Kelce and this is a 4 win offensive team.

As much as it pains me to say this - that could be the best thing to happen for our long term success. The sooner Chip learns that he has to adjust to the NFL and cannot just squander proven players - the sooner what he adds to the team won't be wiped away by what he throws away.

I mean, we have the contract. They could have forced Mathis to play or sit out. There was no reason for the release. And when you add in the loss of Heremans, and that we didn't draft anyone for the OL either - this is just shooting ourselves in the foot. Lets not forget he is a multi probowl player.

I'm not saying Chip is a douche or anything like that. I still like him so much better than what we had before. And there is a lot to like about Chip. But 2 steps forward, followed by 2 steps back isn't going to get us anywhere.

A 4 win season, and we get a better draft pick, and maybe the coach gets humbled enough to realize he can't simply scheme with a bunch of college kids and win a championship in a game of men, not boys.

Macho Grande

Would Sacrifice You In An Emergency
The Magumba Bar in Drambuie, off the Barbary Coast
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,889.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hang on. Let me find you a helmet so you'll be ready when the sky starts falling.

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hang on. Let me find you a helmet so you'll be ready when the sky starts falling.

I don't think it's a matter of the sky falling.

Are you saying there is no concern at all, for a team that already released it's other starting guard, didn't draft for the OL at all, and has a new QB coming off major injury??? Never mind the status of it's WR group that won't have teams afraid of stacking the box.

SoShady

QB Factory
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just read a tweet that of Howies 23 new players added in 2011 during FA/Draft, Chip has cut/traded all but one of them...Jason Kelce being he lone survivor.

Terrible fuckin move. This guys a fuckin arrogant douche

Yeah Mathis is a arrogant douche. Getting paid near the top of the league. Been bitching for more money the last two years as a 30+ year old guard. Once you heard the Eagles offered him more money which he refused to accept. Then shortly after Jason Peters taking a shot at him. You had to know he was toast. Mathis made his own bed and now he can lay in it. This reeks of Drew Rosenhaus screwing another one of his clients. Guess it wasn't obvious when no one wanted you the last two years on the trade market. What a fool good riddance.

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah Mathis is a arrogant douche. Getting paid near the top of the league. Been bitching for more money the last two years as a 30+ year old guard. Once you heard the Eagles offered him more money which he refused to accept. Then shortly after Jason Peters taking a shot at him. You had to know he was toast. Mathis made his own bed and now he can lay in it. This reeks of Drew Rosenhaus screwing another one of his clients. Guess it wasn't obvious when no one wanted you the last two years on the trade market. What a fool good riddance.

All of that said, why release him instead of forcing him to play or sit tho?

WIZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Eagles wil be fine. You either get with the program (that's proven it wins) or get out. Pretty simple philosophy that I like. Mathis is an idiot who just took a $3 million paycut.

DaEagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mathis is doing his side of the business. He did the same thing last year and came in and played. Just as he would of this year.

The arrogant fuck is Chip. This was a dumb move.

This isn't college. Totally different in college where the coaches have you by the balls and the NFL where the players have some power.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guards are a fungible asset in the nfl. The Eagles did fine without him last year and will this year as well.

This is a culture move. When you make north of $5m you are expected to be a role model and a leader. Players that don't participate in the off season program will never see big contracts under Chip.

They are being nice to him by cutting him now. Gives him a chance at another job and does improve the Eagles image over the option of dragging this out.

Screamin Eagle

Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree 100%. Mathis started with his mouth the 1st month he was here, good player and paid as such but just a big mouthed mal-content. That said, I think Chip best check his ego before he alienates this team. He is trying too hard to send messages but the messages being received may not be much appreciated. Chip is exactly what I thought he was; a blowhard with an over-sized ego. If he wins OK but if he doesn't.....hmmmm. I am still not sold on him, his offense yes but not him. He has this year to prove something.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's see how much money mathis cost himself by being a whiny little bitch.

This doesn't help the Eagles though either.