• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Eagles realease Mathis

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's been a week now. Every day that goes by makes me think more and more that Evan Mathis being one of the top 3 or 4 guards 8 the NFL is a myth perpetrated by the media, Mathis and pff. There doesn't seem to be a market for the guy.

There is a market I am sure. The problem is no one is willing to pay the amount of money he feels he is worth. Taking less makes him look like a fool. I know he will probably argue that teams don't have money but I will call bullshit on that. Teams will make money available for a stud lineman.

L.Freamon

Formerly FWFW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See now that is nothing personal or directly football related though. Its a comment on trade value which is largely based on contract. Everything that Chip has said about Mathis as a football player or a person has been positive. He really didn't say anything that every team out there did not already know...that Mathis was seeking a raise or trade.
just stop. please.

L.Freamon

Formerly FWFW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what is obvious to us, that the Eagles don't have a offensive line player beyond the top 3 with any significant experience or that was even drafted, doesn't seem to be bothering the guys whose jobs are on the line for it. You ask Kelly or Stoutland about it, and they absolutely love Barbre and seem satisfied enough with Graf, Kelly, Tobin and Gardner.

Then you look at last year's experience and you see that they won 10 games while missing alot more than Mathis.
- Lane Johnson for 4 games.
- Herremans for 8 games
- Matt Tobin for 3 games
- Allen Barbre for 15 games
- Jason Kelce for 4 games.
- Evan Mathis for 7 games.

So 6 of their top 7 lineman missed a total of 41 games. they were mixing and matching street free agents all season long. Generally missing several guys for each game. Pretty much a disaster of a year injury wise on the line, and yet they still emerged with a very productive offense and 10 wins.

I think the lesson here is that these guys are alot for interchangeable than we think.
sure, there were wins, but for 10 weeks we were wondering why Foles struggled and why Shady was dancing so much. we need to recall the entire picture, not just the happy parts.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sure, there were wins, but for 10 weeks we were wondering why Foles struggled and why Shady was dancing so much. we need to recall the entire picture, not just the happy parts.

Because it was on them. Shady is a pussy when it comes to contact. Foles regressed and had happy feet. I like Foles and think he can still be very good.

However it was not the offensive line and we had a makeshift line for most of the season.

2014 PFF Offensive Line Rankings | ProFootballFocus.com - Part 4

Which NFL teams have the best offensive lines? - SBNation.com (this ranking was before the start of last season)

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you search the forum, you will find a long discussion on this that I had. Not to rehash it here (its a good 10 page plus thread), but Yes I was in favor of the call and largely based on (1) the math made it a good call when placed in context of the fact that it allowed one more play given the time on the clock (2) the most successful coach in football (Belicheck) came out a couple of weeks later and said it was a good call).

It was actually one of dpd's more clear headed moments.:D

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assuming its a bad decision because you got a bad result is the wrong way of looking at things. The issue with the Seahawks play there was not the call, but the execution. And I am not putting that all on the players, but also the coaching and prep. The Patriots were better prepared for that play (maybe they had film?)

Yup, Wilson fucked that play up bigtime. Kid's overrated.

That said I heard Dave Spadaro was decent at Poker...

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I fundamentally have an opinion on Kelly that he is all about winning and winning now and makes all his decision with that as the primary focus.

Chip is the only one??

This is a completely illogical concept that you are starting from here. "Chip is all about winning so how could he possibly make a wrong decision." Do you not see how your premise creates your conclusion?

You don't even need any events or evidence of support because the entire framework states "Chip makes only right moves, because only right moves improve your chances of winning."

It's illogical. Chip is fallible. Like the rest of the coaches.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's been a week now. Every day that goes by makes me think more and more that Evan Mathis being one of the top 3 or 4 guards 8 the NFL is a myth perpetrated by the media, Mathis and pff. There doesn't seem to be a market for the guy.

No one wants to pay an old guard. Everyone already knew this. Mathis and his idiot agent shot themselves in the foot. That doesn't change any extra risk the Eagles have assumed now because of the decisions on their side of the aisle in this whole episode.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just wanted to note here that PFFs rankings could easily be entirely made of shit from a bull.

Point noted and the rankings could be bullshit as well. That is why I listed a couple.

For the most part the Eagles were though to have a very good offensive line even with the injuries. That really should not be disputed. I just think it is completely inaccurate to say that McCoy or Foles issues were because of the line.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chip is the only one??

This is a completely illogical concept that you are starting from here. "Chip is all about winning so how could he possibly make a wrong decision." Do you not see how your premise creates your conclusion?

You don't even need any events or evidence of support because the entire framework states "Chip makes only right moves, because only right moves improve your chances of winning."

It's illogical. Chip is fallible. Like the rest of the coaches.

The original discussion was accusing Chip of making a rash, personal decision based on emotion. My point is that it was a measured football based decision. Just because it is a measured football based decision does not mean that he got it right or will always get it right.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one wants to pay an old guard. Everyone already knew this. Mathis and his idiot agent shot themselves in the foot. That doesn't change any extra risk the Eagles have assumed now because of the decisions on their side of the aisle in this whole episode.

Obviously not everyone knew this. Mathis did not know this. Rosenhaus should have known this. This is why you pay an agent with connections all over the league. If Rosenaus was doing his job correctly, Mathis should have had a better job offer on the table within hours of being released as the groundwork for his new team and contract would have already been in place. If there was such a thing, I think Mathis would have a case for agent malpractice here. He seems to have screwed up big time and assuming he was listening to his agent its a major screwup costing him millions.

L.Freamon

Formerly FWFW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because it was on them. Shady is a pussy when it comes to contact. Foles regressed and had happy feet. I like Foles and think he can still be very good.

However it was not the offensive line and we had a makeshift line for most of the season.

2014 PFF Offensive Line Rankings | ProFootballFocus.com - Part 4

Which NFL teams have the best offensive lines? - SBNation.com (this ranking was before the start of last season)
Shady improved when Kelecy and Mathis returned. Please don't tell me our OL injuries didn't contribute to their struggles.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shady improved when Kelecy and Mathis returned. Please don't tell me our OL injuries didn't contribute to their struggles.

I never said that but lets not pretend that a health Oline fixed his issues. He finished the season just as he started it. Hot some weeks......cold in others and on top of that his inability to hit a hole cost him red zone carries. I think Shady is a very good back but not a fit for what this offense needs. As a person he is a jackass but he has legit talent.

ctc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The original discussion was accusing Chip of making a rash, personal decision based on emotion. My point is that it was a measured football based decision. Just because it is a measured football based decision does not mean that he got it right or will always get it right.

the problem with that argument is that all the information needed to make that decision has been available, for months now.
What has occurred between now and then?

ctc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously not everyone knew this. Mathis did not know this. Rosenhaus should have known this. This is why you pay an agent with connections all over the league. If Rosenaus was doing his job correctly, Mathis should have had a better job offer on the table within hours of being released as the groundwork for his new team and contract would have already been in place. If there was such a thing, I think Mathis would have a case for agent malpractice here. He seems to have screwed up big time and assuming he was listening to his agent its a major screwup costing him millions.

Given that teams have already set their budgets, signed their free agents and left some money over for the draft their isn't a much left in their budget to give mathis. Certainly not to the level mathis wanted.

And apparently they did have offers for mathis, just none they were willing to accept.

Kelly when asked if Evan Mathis will be on team next year: I hope so.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the problem with that argument is that all the information needed to make that decision has been available, for months now.
What has occurred between now and then?

You really put no stock in the offseason program? The teams have been at work since April 20th.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given that teams have already set their budgets, signed their free agents and left some money over for the draft their isn't a much left in their budget to give mathis. Certainly not to the level mathis wanted.

And apparently they did have offers for mathis, just none they were willing to accept.

Look at the Salary Cap numbers. There are plenty of teams with the space to sign Mathis and several with some critical needs. Plus its not that hard to restructure a contract or two to make some additional space. Teams do it all the time...when they want to.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am starting to wonder if Deerparthdave IS Spadaro...