• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Eagles @ Cowboys

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about that. Did they say something this morning? Watch Heath. Looks to be a lead blocker the whole way

No, I did not hear anything but when I looked at this ...

It just may be that they planned a fake punt on a play that had a blown assignment. 56 in on Chris Jones in 2 seconds.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I first say it- I thiought he ran because it was gonna be blocked. I didn't watch Garretts postgame- not that he would have told the truth anyway

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on don't blame Dez. Dak made bad throws. Dez did not quit on routes. Can you give him credit for once???? He was open for many times and the ball poorly thrown by Dak.
No clue what you mean about giving Dez credit "for once", he was open alot, there were also a few times where he literally stopped running his route it gave up on it.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see how the first half mistakes can be on the coaching. Dak made a bad read on the pick in the end zone. Philly brought a lot of pressure, which forced Dak into a few bad throws. Dez stopped on a few routes. I thought the coaches made nice adjustments last night. Philly was 4-2 coming in and had just beaten the undefeated Vikings. Great win for the team
Hope Church and Mo get back soon, it seems we can't ever have our while team on the field lol

Considering all factors - down, distance, field position, and time on the clock - Dallas had no business throwing the ball in that situation, and that is on Garrett/Linehan. Garrett should have made the executive decision and overruled any pass plays being called, he is the head coach after all. Elliott and the Oline were gashing the Eagles on that drive. We should have milked as much clock as possible while attempting to run it into the end zone. Instead, Dak throws an interception and leaves the Eagles enough time to go down the field for a FG. That was a potential 10 point swing right before the half, and instead of us going into the locker room with a 7 point lead and momentum, we go into the half down 3 having lost all momentum. That was very bad decision making by the coaching staff. Not to mention the play calling to start the game - Linehan was not very good last night, IMO.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering all factors - down, distance, field position, and time on the clock - Dallas had no business throwing the ball in that situation, and that is on Garrett/Linehan. Garrett should have made the executive decision and overruled any pass plays being called, he is the head coach after all. Elliott and the Oline were gashing the Eagles on that drive. We should have milked as much clock as possible while attempting to run it into the end zone. Instead, Dak throws an interception and leaves the Eagles enough time to go down the field for a FG. That was a potential 10 point swing right before the half, and instead of us going into the locker room with a 7 point lead and momentum, we go into the half down 3 having lost all momentum. That was very bad decision making by the coaching staff. Not to mention the play calling to start the game - Linehan was not very good last night, IMO.
Are you sure a run wasn't called and checked into a pass? Either way, you have to be willing to throw the ball inside the 10 if you want to score TD's.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you sure a run wasn't called and checked into a pass? Either way, you have to be willing to throw the ball inside the 10 if you want to score TD's.

If he checked into the run, then still, I see that as on the coaches. If that is the case, then Linehan should have been in his ear pre-play telling him to run the play as called, regardless. You have to run the ball there, Elliott was ripping off chunks on that drive, and the Oline had Philly's Dline on their heels that drive.

I understand that you have to be willing to throw the ball inside the 10, but not in that particular scenario. It was a bad call/audible, and should not have happened.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hindsight remains 20/20

"It is not the critic who counts...the credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena...who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat."

- Theodor Roosevelt

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hindsight remains 20/20

"It is not the critic who counts...the credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena...who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat."

- Theodor Roosevelt

Except that play wasn't hindsight. Everyone knew it was the wrong call as soon as it happened.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
everything you are saying here is hindsight

Hindsight in the sense that we are talking about it after the fact. But I would feel pretty confident that if any one of us was privy to the play call prior to snap, knowing it was a pass, would have thought that was the wrong call. How you don't run the ball in that scenario is puzzling.

Honestly, would you have passed in that situation, given all the variables that were in play?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not running the ball on first down was idiotic and gave Philly 3 points. You need to run down the clock or make Philly use their last time out. continued horrible clock management by Garrett. He should have walked over to Linehan and said run it first down. Then you take it from there. Second down, the call to throw wasn't as bad because you need to get 6 points there, not 3 and play one was already done. Running first down could get you in or to the one yard line or at worst the same as an incomplete pass, but minimizes the chances for Philly to get points.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
everything you are saying here is hindsight
I said out loud run the ball here and was pissed when he dropped back. Even with a TD to Dez on 1st down i would have thought the call was dumb. So it's not hindsight IMO

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not running the ball on first down was idiotic and gave Philly 3 points. You need to run down the clock or make Philly use their last time out. continued horrible clock management by Garrett. He should have walked over to Linehan and said run it first down. Then you take it from there. Second down, the call to throw wasn't as bad because you need to get 6 points there, not 3 and play one was already done. Running first down could get you in or to the one yard line or at worst the same as an incomplete pass, but minimizes the chances for Philly to get points.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. Didn't need hindsight to see that was poor play calling/rationale.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty much my thoughts exactly. Didn't need hindsight to see that was poor play calling/rationale.
Garrett also made some good gutsy calls like the 4 I would not have gone for it on 4th down. that was gutsy and won the game, but unlike the play just discussed i was 50/50 on that and didn't have a big problem with it pre-snap. Garrett just showed a little bit bigger balls than me...

Last edited:

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Garrett also made some good gutsy calls like the 4

I would not have gone for it on 4th down. that was gutsy and won the game, but unlike the play just discussed i was 50/50 on that and didn't have a big problem with it pre-snap. Garrett just showed a little bit bigger balls than me...

Again, I did not watch the 4th QTR. Was too tired and couldn't hang. I am only speaking of the first 3 QTRs, which I watched in full. The first 3 QTRs were as bad as Dallas has played all season IMO. I was ecstatic to wake up to a win.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said out loud run the ball here and was pissed when he dropped back. Even with a TD to Dez on 1st down i would have thought the call was dumb. So it's not hindsight IMO
arm chair QB's have opinions and often state them.
opinions vary I guess but I'll stick with the ones that know the tendencies and have game planed. Best part about all this...no one person is perfect and leaves opportunities for second guessers.

I give a rats ass as long as it's a W. Two playoff wins over 20 years will get some of us thinking like this

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
arm chair QB's have opinions and often state them.
opinions vary I guess but I'll stick with the ones that know the tendencies and have game planed. Best part about all this...no one person is perfect and leaves opportunities for second guessers.

I give a rats ass as long as it's a W. Two playoff wins over 20 years will get some of us thinking like this

Fair enough there.

Discussing the ups and downs of Cowboys football is why a message board like this exists.