• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dwight Howard to Golden State?

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Highly doubt it now. My money is on Houston - the team they would contend with plus the fact that he doesn't have to deal with the tax issue over in Texas.

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Draymond green can replace landry

Not sure about that.

He can replace him on defense and rebounding, but Green is not much of a threat on offense (especially in the paint).

Don't get me wrong; I like Green. Just not sure if he's ready for heavy minutes.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sign and trade is, obviously, the only way we get him.

I wonder how many of us on here would support a Barnes/Bogut for Howard trade.

I wouldn't.

I don't like any deal for Howard that includes either Barnes of Thompson.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like any deal for Howard that includes either Barnes of Thompson.

I would do a deal if it involved Klay. Here's my logic on why:

1) Dwight is still a young guy who has tons left in the tank. Even though he was injured last year, he's never had a history of injuries and has always been a guy you could easily count on for 70 games. Bogut is getting back healthy, but every season with Bogut going forward is going to be hit or miss. You cannot argue Howard's on court contributions.

2) We have a very strong locker room and team culture now. The issues with Dwight aren't his production but it's been his off the court "antics". I firmly believe we have a coach who can not only relate to Dwight but help to motivate him in a way that he hasn't had before. Last season he had clashes with a system who he didn't feel he fit and with teammates (most notably Kobe) who hasn't had the best history of getting along with teammates. Those are legitimate gripes for any superstar.

3) Klay has one less year remaining on his rookie contract than Barnes does. By the time Barnes is up for an extension, Lee's contract will be coming up and the Warriors will have more flexibility to resign him and keep a core intact. Klay, for as good as he is, can be completely replaceable. Barnes is also 2 years younger and I truly believe has superstar potential. Klay will always be a good player, but the NBA is a league in abundance of SG's. You don't get a chance for a franchise big man very often.

4) We have to face facts in that the Warriors simply over-achieved last year. The Warriors are in a unique opportunity to lay a foundation for years to come. I don't think that foundation can be solidified based upon the play of 3 wings. Curry is obviously going to be a mainstay. Lee doesn't look like he's going anywhere based on the market. If you can keep either Klay or Barnes and add Howard, you have a team that could legitimately compete for a title.

Of course all of the above is on paper. The team last year had great chemistry and it will be hard to duplicate. However in a league where players are constantly being rotated in and out, if you have the ability to make a run in a 3-4 year span, that's considered a great opportunity. You have to take it, if you get the chance.

DonyellFreak

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess is our chances to land him are under 5% but at least we have a chance. Lakers are dumb not to try and do a sign and trade with us, no reason for them to let him walk if they could have Bogut and Klay or Harrison.

ChuckDurn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think a bunch of folks (myself included...... I've had a few infrequent posts here, primarily posting on ESPN or RealGM) are going to be coming here from ESPN, which announced today that they're getting rid of their forums as of 7/17. Already a few people over there telling people to come here.

On this subject, the most likely outcome (if Howard ends up with the Warriors) is for Bogut to be routed to a third team, and only Thompson or Barnes getting to LA. The reason is basic - barring LA amnesty-ing Kobe, they're going to be massively in the luxury tax next year, and Bogut's salary will literally cost them an additional 2-3x in luxury tax costs. They'd almost certainly be willing to pay his $14M salary...... but make that a $40-50M salary for next year (when tax is included), and most likely they'd choose not to keep him. Yeah, I know that they have tons of TV money, but is Andrew Bogut worth $50M to anybody? Probably not.

I hope the W's pull this off, because a foursome of Howard, Curry, Lee, and whichever of Barnes or Thompson is left (supplemented by Rush) is awfully darn good, and will compete for a top seed.

Wake

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a bunch of folks (myself included...... I've had a few infrequent posts here, primarily posting on ESPN or RealGM) are going to be coming here from ESPN, which announced today that they're getting rid of their forums as of 7/17. Already a few people over there telling people to come here.

On this subject, the most likely outcome (if Howard ends up with the Warriors) is for Bogut to be routed to a third team, and only Thompson or Barnes getting to LA. The reason is basic - barring LA amnesty-ing Kobe, they're going to be massively in the luxury tax next year, and Bogut's salary will literally cost them an additional 2-3x in luxury tax costs. They'd almost certainly be willing to pay his $14M salary...... but make that a $40-50M salary for next year (when tax is included), and most likely they'd choose not to keep him. Yeah, I know that they have tons of TV money, but is Andrew Bogut worth $50M to anybody? Probably not.

I hope the W's pull this off, because a foursome of Howard, Curry, Lee, and whichever of Barnes or Thompson is left (supplemented by Rush) is awfully darn good, and will compete for a top seed.

+1

Then move Andris, Jefferson and Green to Orlando for Jameer Nelson and Big Baby.

Curry/Nelson
Klay/FA
Rush/FA
Lee/BB
Howard/Festus

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
+1

Then move Andris, Jefferson and Green to Orlando for Jameer Nelson and Big Baby.

Curry/Nelson
Klay/FA
Rush/FA
Lee/BB
Howard/Festus

Meh. They're worth more at the deadline or as the free agent they become in 2014. Jameer Nelson is a 31-year-old PG that relies on his waning quickness and increasing strength. Both him and Big Baby are defensive liabilities on a team that already has enough of those (even with Howard). Glen's mid-range game and Jameer's passing (when he wants to) are certainly assets off the bench, but defenders other than Rush and Ezeli will be necessary for that squad. Plus, one of Biedrins or RJ will have to be used in any Howard deal because of the money involved. Those two guys certainly provide some mismatches that the Dubs could exploit, but they also provide mind-numbing deficiencies. I never thought I would type this, but I'd rather GSW sign Matt Barnes.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Lakers are one of the few teams that aren't the least bit hurt by paying vast amounts of Luxury Tax. Of course the way you suggested would be of much relief to the Lakers, but I don't think it's a complete deal breaker if they cannot find a 3rd team to help take on Bogut. If the Lakers are able to acquire a young talent back for Howard (should he want to walk), they should be happy to do so combined with an expiring contract. Here's why:

The Lakers are loading up for a massive run at the free agent market next year. They're going to have a massive amount of cap space to make runs at multiple big names out there. If they get a chance to get another quality young piece (like Barnes or Thompson) who will both be on rookie deals still, it allows them to get their future free agents, back out of the tax, and have teammates to rely on as draws. You can see right now in all the team's pitches to Howard, how important a supporting cast is. The Lakers in itself is a draw, but if you have another quality piece on the team, it makes that situation even more attractive.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh. They're worth more at the deadline or as the free agent they become in 2014. Jameer Nelson is a 31-year-old PG that relies on his waning quickness and increasing strength. Both him and Big Baby are defensive liabilities on a team that already has enough of those (even with Howard). Glen's mid-range game and Jameer's passing (when he wants to) are certainly assets off the bench, but defenders other than Rush and Ezeli will be necessary for that squad. Plus, one of Biedrins or RJ will have to be used in any Howard deal because of the money involved. Those two guys certainly provide some mismatches that the Dubs could exploit, but they also provide mind-numbing deficiencies. I never thought I would type this, but I'd rather GSW sign Matt Barnes.

I would hate this as well. One name that I would like to see the Warriors go after would be JJ Hickson. Look at his production the last few years. I think he would be a great fit as a backup 4/5 on the team.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would hate this as well. One name that I would like to see the Warriors go after would be JJ Hickson. Look at his production the last few years. I think he would be a great fit as a backup 4/5 on the team.

Agreed. He is a younger, softer (though, not all the time), cost-effective version of Carl Landry. Landry might be slightly better on D, but not by much, and JJ has significantly more athleticism. Unfortunately, I've thought he was going to be a Warrior two other times before this off-season, and you know the whole fool me once, shame on you thing...

Last edited by a moderator:

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wakka Wakka

:agree:

:gaah:

Umm, Sup Dub Nation, I'm a refugee from the E.S.P.N Boards,

Wanted to contribute on this board now I suppose.

OT: At what point can I make new threads?

DonyellFreak

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree:

:gaah:

Umm, Sup Dub Nation, I'm a refugee from the E.S.P.N Boards,

Wanted to contribute on this board now I suppose.

OT: At what point can I make new threads?

Lee I hope you'll not over run the forum with OT threads like you did on ESPN. Glad you are here though it's nice to hear what you think even though I rarely agree with you.

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lee I hope you'll not over run the forum with OT threads like you did on ESPN. Glad you are here though it's nice to hear what you think even though I rarely agree with you.

I thought my OT: Topics were a nice change of pace from the

• Coach Jackson is Horrible
  • Klay is horrible
  • We need to trade for Bismack nonsense
  • Jack is horrible

Threads that were being thrown up everyday, in any case, I hope most the other fans come here, Dubs are just starting to build something, and we a place to express ourselves.

Getting back on topic, I hope the Dubs aren't just being used as leverage, from all accounts, D12 is probably going to sign with HOU or just return to LA.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought my OT: Topics were a nice change of pace from the

• Coach Jackson is Horrible
  • Klay is horrible
  • We need to trade for Bismack nonsense
  • Jack is horrible

Threads that were being thrown up everyday, in any case, I hope most the other fans come here, Dubs are just starting to build something, and we a place to express ourselves.

Getting back on topic, I hope the Dubs aren't just being used as leverage, from all accounts, D12 is probably going to sign with HOU or just return to LA.

I don't think warriors are worried about being used as leverage because they don't have a big chance on getting him anyway. I would say Houston should be worried

CohanHater

Long Time Warrior Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's the worst that would happen if we were being used as leverage? It means that we drove the price up and the Lakers got a better deal. They're still a ways away. The other team would take a hit and Houston and Dallas are closer to a contender for the Warriors anyway. (See DeAndre Jordan)

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's the worst that would happen if we were being used as leverage? It means that we drove the price up and the Lakers got a better deal. They're still a ways away. The other team would take a hit and Houston and Dallas are closer to a contender for the Warriors anyway. (See DeAndre Jordan)

I suppose its not the "worst thing", but always being the bridesmaid and never the Bride hurts time after the time.

What's the worst thing about not making the Playoffs? Go ask another team, because the Dubs actually there last year :yahoo:

I think it will have a trickle down effect in the long run though :

Bogut/Lee/HB/Klay hearing their names in trade rumors can't be good for chemistry, sure you can says its a business and they should be flattered about being wanted elsewhere, but if you went to work everyday knowing your employers didn't "fully believe" in you, would you be 100% happy?

As many others have posted, D12 would be an upgrade, but if we have to give up too much to get him, will he really improve this team?

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mark Heisler: OMG this could happen: #Laker source told me they'd consider Barnes or Klay or Curry+Bogut+No. 1 for #D!2. GS hasn't yet offered HB/KT or SC Twitter @MarkHeisler

Mark Heisler: Things look worse by minute for #Lakers, trailing one more contender: If #Warriors are moving heaven and earth for #D12, he encouraged them. Twitter @MarkHeisler

Mark Heisler: One thing I know I didn't yesterday: #Laker source says they would deal w/#Warriors if price is right... BTW, that Mark Jackson is something Twitter @MarkHeisler