• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dwight Howard to Golden State?

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So HoopsHype had links this morning to articles saying that Dwight Howard was considering the Golden State Warriors in free agency (among other teams).

No clarity for Dwight Howard, Lakers - LA Daily News

"A source familiar with Howard's thinking says he plans to test free agency and has considered the Lakers, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta and Golden State."

The only problem with this statement is that the Dubs are well above the projected salary cap line for the 2013-2014 season and are perilously close to the luxury tax line right now. They have ZERO room to sign anything more than a vet on the minimum salary.

Being the amateur capologist I am, I looked that the Warriors' salaries for next season. Bogut ($14.2 mil) is in the last year of his deal.

Biedrins ($9 mil) Jefferson ($11.1 mil) Landry ($4 mil) and Rush ($4 mil) all have player options for next season. We all know Beans and Jefferson will exercise theirs cuz neither are getting that kind of cash in a new contract. Landry will likely opt out because his play has earned him a larger payday. Rush is a question mark. We all know his potential, but with his season-ending injury, he may just decide to stick around and showcase himself for his next contract. ASSuming Rush stays and all my other projections are true, Golden State has a cap number of $70.08 mil for the 2013-2014 season.

Although the new "repeater" rules go into effect during the 2014-2015 season where teams over the tax line two years in a row start paying stiffer penalties on their luxury tax bills, the Dubs will likely not have to worry (since their current 2014-2015 guaranteed salaries are about $34 million, which includes options for guys like Barnes and Klay that will surely be exercised).

That being said, the ONLY way the Dubs become a buyer on the FA market is if some team agrees to a sign-and-trade with its current free agent. Jefferson is the most likely to go, since he has a large expiring and still has some skills (albeit not remotely close to what he once was). But the chances of a team being willing to re-sing its own FA then ship him to Golden State for RJeff and assorted other scrub pieces is pretty thin.

My biggest hope (and I know it's not gonna happen) is that the Dubs become willing to trade _avi_ Lee in a deal.

Anyway, to get any kind of free agent to Golden State THIS season is going to require a lot of creativity on the Warriors' part and a lot of desperation on the part of the team sending the FA.

We should just expect that we will have the same team next season as we did last season - minus Jarrett Jack. The team does not have a pick in the 2013 NBA draft (round 1 goes to Utah via NJ for the Notebook Williams fiasco of a deal and Round 2 goes to Orlando via the New York Bricks in the _avi_ Lee deal.)

Discuss.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if teams can take 2/3 of bogut/biedrins/jefferson then we have a chance. Dwight said he wants to play with the team that has the best chance of winning it all. Out of all the teams mentioned golden state has the best chance IMO.

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well if teams can take 2/3 of bogut/biedrins/jefferson then we have a chance. Dwight said he wants to play with the team that has the best chance of winning it all. Out of all the teams mentioned golden state has the best chance IMO.

That's the thing - The Lakers are not going to accept any of those players for Howard. Bogut is the only one with any talent left and he is so injury-riddled that a team cannot expect more than 25% effectiveness from him throughout the season. Beans is devoid of any real talent other than size and Jefferson's talent left him 3 or 4 years ago.

The Dubs are not trading Curry, Thompson or Barnes (and Lee is obviously not going anywhere, although I wish he would).

If LA is forced to trade Howard, they can get much better returns from Dallas or Houston. As an example, Houston is so far under the cap that they would not have to match LA dollar-for-dollar. The Lakers could re-sign Howard to a max deal and then take back Omer Asik ($5.2 mil) and Donatas Motiejunas ($1.3 mil) plus draft picks. After all that, the Rockets would still have about $10 million under the cap. A starting lineup of Howard, Thomas Robinson, Carlos Delfino, James Harden and Jeremy Lin would be pretty darn solid.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the first I've heard of Dwight wanting to go to Oakland. The rumor mills will be active until he signs somewhere.

From what I understand of the current CBA, teams over the salary cap are no longer allowed to do sign & trades. One of those deals that are supposed to make things more difficult for high spending teams.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the first I've heard of Dwight wanting to go to Oakland. The rumor mills will be active until he signs somewhere.

From what I understand of the current CBA, teams over the salary cap are no longer allowed to do sign & trades. One of those deals that are supposed to make things more difficult for high spending teams.

Yeah. I think it mostly got floated because of the Dubs' little playoff run. As Cam posted above, there are a lot of teams that could become instant, legitimate title contenders if they had Dwight. It will be interesting to see what the Lakers' roster looks like in October, but we can be relatively certain that the Warriors' roster will not contain Dwight Howard. The big moves for the Dubs will take place at the Trade Deadline and next off-season. Good luck with your local soap opera.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. I think it mostly got floated because of the Dubs' little playoff run. As Cam posted above, there are a lot of teams that could become instant, legitimate title contenders if they had Dwight. It will be interesting to see what the Lakers' roster looks like in October, but we can be relatively certain that the Warriors' roster will not contain Dwight Howard. The big moves for the Dubs will take place at the Trade Deadline and next off-season.

I don't think there will be much of a difference with the Lakers' roster come October (assuming Dwight resigns). I can see MWP getting amnystied and using the stretch provision on Nash. I don't think the Lakers want to take on many contracts beyond next season. They want that cap space to rebuild around Dwight.

Good luck with your local soap opera

Never a loss for drama with the Lakers :lol:

RedRum

You Cant Handle the Truth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lakers fans are almost feeling what MAGIC fans went through his last 2 Dwightmare years at Orlando.

Is he staying or moving?

Houston..no
MAvs..no
Golden Sate ..maybe
back to Houston ..yes
Mavs again. no

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly whats the chances dwight comes here? Also what would they have to do for this to happen?

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Honestly whats the chances dwight comes here? Also what would they have to do for this to happen?

The chances are slim and none.

As for what would the Dubs have to do - they'd have to agree to give the Lakers one of Curry, Thompson or Barnes plus a big contract (Jefferson) and some filler.

Bob Myers is not going to blow up the team just for the chance to land Dwight. And he sure as hell is not going to give one of the team's three best players to a division rival.

Even though I think Dwight would quickly make the Dubs a deep title contender, I don't see any possibility that this happens.

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

The new rule with sign-and-trades is that a team cannot be $4 million above the tax level after the trade. People have been calling this area "the apron" for some reason. If a team starts the trade above the limit and then finishes below the "apron" after the trade is completed, that is OK.

Also, if the team has already used the mid-level exception, they are not allowed to complete a sign-and-trade deal. I do not know the logic behind this, but it is part of the new CBA.

Last edited by a moderator:

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The chances are slim and none.

As for what would the Dubs have to do - they'd have to agree to give the Lakers one of Curry, Thompson or Barnes plus a big contract (Jefferson) and some filler.

Bob Myers is not going to blow up the team just for the chance to land Dwight. And he sure as hell is not going to give one of the team's three best players to a division rival.

Even though I think Dwight would quickly make the Dubs a deep title contender, I don't see any possibility that this happens.

Just out of curiosity, if the Lakers asked for Klay, Festus, and Jefferson for Howard in a sign and trade, would you do it?

This is a sneaky way to ask: who would we be willing to trade Klay for? (BTW: I cannot think of too many scenarios in which including Barnes or Curry in a trade makes any sense.)

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is he gonna sign for $5mill in year one?

Ok then, moving along.

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If LA is forced to trade Howard, they can get much better returns from Dallas or Houston. As an example, Houston is so far under the cap that they would not have to match LA dollar-for-dollar. The Lakers could re-sign Howard to a max deal and then take back Omer Asik ($5.2 mil) and Donatas Motiejunas ($1.3 mil) plus draft picks. After all that, the Rockets would still have about $10 million under the cap. A starting lineup of Howard, Thomas Robinson, Carlos Delfino, James Harden and Jeremy Lin would be pretty darn solid.

Delfino doesn't start over chandler parsons but the rockets would be pretty darn solid. I think for the lakers to agree to this deal parsons might actually have to be included in the trade, so i guess delfino would be a starter

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Golden State should offer Howard the world and throw in a few moons to get him!

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

One of the things that crossed my mind as the Warriors/Spurs series was slowly winding down was that Oakland, once avoided by free agents, had now become one of the more attractive places to sign. Young, player-friendly coach, avid fan base, new arena on the horizon, big market with no other team to share it with, rising young stars...Not to mention that we are a year away from the team being able to shed millions of salary.

But as already explained by Cam and others, it is just so damn unlikely that any significant players will be heading our way this offseason. Gotta hope that Barnes, Curry, Klay (and to a lesser extent Eleli and Green) continue to improve and that Bogut and Lee come into camp healthy.

I think most of us would be very happy with another 6th seed next year.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So HoopsHype had links this morning to articles saying that Dwight Howard was considering the Golden State Warriors in free agency (among other teams).

No clarity for Dwight Howard, Lakers - LA Daily News

"A source familiar with Howard's thinking says he plans to test free agency and has considered the Lakers, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta and Golden State."

The only problem with this statement is that the Dubs are well above the projected salary cap line for the 2013-2014 season and are perilously close to the luxury tax line right now. They have ZERO room to sign anything more than a vet on the minimum salary.

Being the amateur capologist I am, I looked that the Warriors' salaries for next season. Bogut ($14.2 mil) is in the last year of his deal.

Biedrins ($9 mil) Jefferson ($11.1 mil) Landry ($4 mil) and Rush ($4 mil) all have player options for next season. We all know Beans and Jefferson will exercise theirs cuz neither are getting that kind of cash in a new contract. Landry will likely opt out because his play has earned him a larger payday. Rush is a question mark. We all know his potential, but with his season-ending injury, he may just decide to stick around and showcase himself for his next contract. ASSuming Rush stays and all my other projections are true, Golden State has a cap number of $70.08 mil for the 2013-2014 season.

Although the new "repeater" rules go into effect during the 2014-2015 season where teams over the tax line two years in a row start paying stiffer penalties on their luxury tax bills, the Dubs will likely not have to worry (since their current 2014-2015 guaranteed salaries are about $34 million, which includes options for guys like Barnes and Klay that will surely be exercised).

That being said, the ONLY way the Dubs become a buyer on the FA market is if some team agrees to a sign-and-trade with its current free agent. Jefferson is the most likely to go, since he has a large expiring and still has some skills (albeit not remotely close to what he once was). But the chances of a team being willing to re-sing its own FA then ship him to Golden State for RJeff and assorted other scrub pieces is pretty thin.

My biggest hope (and I know it's not gonna happen) is that the Dubs become willing to trade _avi_ Lee in a deal.

Anyway, to get any kind of free agent to Golden State THIS season is going to require a lot of creativity on the Warriors' part and a lot of desperation on the part of the team sending the FA.

We should just expect that we will have the same team next season as we did last season - minus Jarrett Jack. The team does not have a pick in the 2013 NBA draft (round 1 goes to Utah via NJ for the Notebook Williams fiasco of a deal and Round 2 goes to Orlando via the New York Bricks in the _avi_ Lee deal.)

Discuss.

Good god! 20 Million wrapped up in the 11th and 12th man on the bench. That is disgraceful; frankly, its an embarrassment..

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good god! 20 Million wrapped up in the 11th and 12th man on the bench. That is disgraceful; frankly, its an embarrassment..

I keep telling you guys. You need to convince your GM to trade one of your worst players to Atlanta for Jeff Teague. They are so stupid that they will do it. The Hawks' ownership is not in it for a title.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep telling you guys. You need to convince your GM to trade one of your worst players to Atlanta for Jeff Teague. They are so stupid that they will do it. The Hawks' ownership is not in it for a title.

Marietta huh? I played in a golf tournament at a course there in the last century, I can't remember the name, but it was really nice!

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly not one team will take biedrins but i can see some teams being interested in bogut and jefferson