• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

"Draft trades that make sense" article on ESPN.com

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if the topic is 'which position is stronger', how can you not look at the depth chart?

1. Boldin
2. Crabtree
3. Patton
4. Baldwin
5. Lloyd

1. Brock
2. Culliver
3. Cook
4. Cox

right off the bat we have our two starting WR's back. right off the bat we lost our two starting CB's.

We have one starter, Culliver, Wright and Cook all in the fold. All except for Culliver have been starters in this league.

At WR we have no future. Tell me how many of those WRs is signed long term.....

The team has went out of their way this offseason to attempt to upgrade the WR position and find a long term answer; they've not done anything similar with CB as they appear to like their guys. Once again, stop looking at the depth chart from the perspective of a fan (looking for big names) and look at the state of the team plus the team's activity this offseason. We all know that YOU believe that CB is a bigger need, I'm trying to figure out what the team thinks.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see the logic in saying that their offseason activity in WR's is an indication that they will go after a WR in the draft.

Actually, it might have the opposite implication since the Lloyd signing may have reduced the need for that position.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We need a another deep threat besides VD. And I agree with you on Kaep. My gut is he steps it up this season but a deep threat makes his arm that much more lethal. This is a make or break season for him if he wants to be considered Elite.

I left Aldon out because all his stuff is pending. Also, we have Lemon, Tank, Skuta, and Brooks. We did okay without Aldon for four games last year. I think Bow is more important than people realize. And while Willhoite is okay, he's not Bow.

I think our DBs are adequate if we can get a pass rush. If not, we're hosed.

yes, this is why I think Aldon's time away will affect the D more. Bowman is a good player no doubt, but there is nothing like a pass rush cause it helps the everyone back there.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We have one starter, Culliver, Wright and Cook all in the fold. All except for Culliver have been starters in this league.

At WR we have no future. Tell me how many of those WRs is signed long term.....

The team has went out of their way this offseason to attempt to upgrade the WR position and find a long term answer; they've not done anything similar with CB as they appear to like their guys. Once again, stop looking at the depth chart from the perspective of a fan (looking for big names) and look at the state of the team plus the team's activity this offseason. We all know that YOU believe that CB is a bigger need, I'm trying to figure out what the team thinks.

yeah, so you're looking at the depth chart right?

isn't the discussion about which position is stronger? doesn't this mean stronger now, going into the draft?
why are you now focusing on the future at these spots?

anyway, if you now want to look at the future, how long term are these CB's really?

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see the logic in saying that their offseason activity in WR's is an indication that they will go after a WR in the draft.

Actually, it might have the opposite implication since the Lloyd signing may have reduced the need for that position.

Them actively pursuing big name WR's is certainly an indication of what this team sees as a major position of need, they pursued that position harder than any other. Lloyd might not even make the team, that is like saying the Cook signing means we won't draft a CB.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, so you're looking at the depth chart right?

isn't the discussion about which position is stronger? doesn't this mean stronger now, going into the draft?
why are you now focusing on the future at these spots?

anyway, if you now want to look at the future, how long term are these CB's really?

Everyone has seen the depth chart, the problem is, you are looking at the depth chart from the position of a fan. You don't like the names on the chart so you immediately assume that the team doesn't, however all indications are that Brock is a lock at starter and Culliver will get every opportunity to take the other job.

GreenNickle

Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sign hershel walker to a 1 year contract then trade him to Minnesota for a bunch of draft picks.
Guaranteed to get you 3 Super Bowl victories.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have to stop assuming that our opinions of the depth chart match that of the team. The only real evidence we have on how the team views the roster is looking at their recent activity.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it at all possible that they pursued so many WRs because it was a position of need and there was a lot of guys they wanted to kick the tires on that they thought could contribute while CB was also a need but they didn't like the players available?

Also, we are just losers on the Internet who only know stuff that gets told to us by losers in the media, we have no idea how many CBs and WRs the 49ers actually pursued and what level of interest they actually had in those losers.

I don't think anyone could logically compare the WR depth chart and the CB depth chart and say "Yup, WR is a bigger need" considering some of the losers we have at CB. While its true that the coaches and people in the front office know more about players like Brock and Cox (Brock Cox is a great gay ****star name BTW), we have a fair amount of burnt toast and a player facing serious criminal charges alongside guys who have never been full time starters on the CB depth chart. At WR we have two pro bowl caliber players, a former pro bowler, and a decently-touted 2nd year player and a former first rounder. CB as a whole might have more potential cuz they're younger but CB is much more glaring of a need. Maybe that is just this loser's opinion but I would be very surprised if the 49ers don't see it the same way.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it at all possible that they pursued so many WRs because it was a position of need and there was a lot of guys they wanted to kick the tires on that they thought could contribute while CB was also a need but they didn't like the players available?

Also, we are just losers on the Internet who only know stuff that gets told to us by losers in the media, we have no idea how many CBs and WRs the 49ers actually pursued and what level of interest they actually had in those losers.

I don't think anyone could logically compare the WR depth chart and the CB depth chart and say "Yup, WR is a bigger need" considering some of the losers we have at CB. While its true that the coaches and people in the front office know more about players like Brock and Cox (Brock Cox is a great gay ****star name BTW), we have a fair amount of burnt toast and a player facing serious criminal charges alongside guys who have never been full time starters on the CB depth chart. At WR we have two pro bowl caliber players, a former pro bowler, and a decently-touted 2nd year player and a former first rounder. CB as a whole might have more potential cuz they're younger but CB is much more glaring of a need. Maybe that is just this loser's opinion but I would be very surprised if the 49ers don't see it the same way.

That could be the case but the fact is that there were very good CB's available and the team didn't make a big play to acquire one. We did however go hard for WR's.

I've always felt that this staff doesn't put a strong emphasis on top CB's, they would rather have scheme fit guys who will come cheap. This has just been my feeling, not saying that it is the truth or not.

I'd be happy with a top CB prospect but honestly outside of Gilbert, I'm not a huge fan of trading up for many if these guys. I do like Fuller but I think he'd be the best value at 30. I think the strength of this class lies in the 2nd round.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for our WR talent; they are old (Boldin, Lloyd), terrible (Baldwin), unproven (Patton) or on short contracts (everyone but Patton). Not to mention we don't have a guy to stretch the field. WR is a much bigger need than people think, there is a chance that in two years none of these guys are on the team.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For fairness, Morris should be added to the CB depth although I don't much about his ability at CB, just as a solid ST player.

As far as this offseason is concerned, my take is simple. I believe that they went harder in securing WR in FA to alleviate the pressure to force a reach pick in the draft. It could also be that they like the depth at WR in the draft far more then CB so they plan on going early CB draft picks and not address a project WR until the 3rd-4th round.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For fairness, Morris should be added to the CB depth although I don't much about his ability at CB, just as a solid ST player.

As far as this offseason is concerned, my take is simple. I believe that they went harder in securing WR in FA to alleviate the pressure to force a reach pick in the draft. It could also be that they like the depth at WR in the draft far more then CB so they plan on going early CB draft picks and not address project WR until the 3rd-4th round.

That is my take. We didn't go after FA CBs because we plan to draft one early. No need to pay a FA when you like Cully & Brock when you plan on drafting a CB in the 1st and potentially top 15.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For those of you who don't have an Insider account:

"San Francisco 49ers trade the No. 30 and No. 56 picks to the Baltimore Ravens for the No. 17 pick

The Niners are in prime position to trade up in the 2014 draft. They already have a very physical football team on both offense and defense, but the area they might be looking to upgrade is a vertical threat at wide receiver who can also be an impact return man on special teams. The offense has an athletic quarterback in Colin Kaepernick and tight end in Vernon Davis, a tough runner in Frank Gore and bigger-bodied receivers such as Anquan Boldin and Michael Crabtree, and adding a legit vertical threat would create 16 regular-season headaches for opposing defensive coordinators.

They aren't likely to find that guy with the 30th pick, but there should be some appealing options at No. 17. A guy like Oregon State's Brandin Cooks or LSU's Odell Beckham Jr. would transform a very good offense into an explosive one.

For the Ravens, this would give them the opportunity to add a second-round pick in a really deep draft, and they can still get a very good player with the 30th overall pick. General manager Ozzie Newsome has done a great job at finding value outside of the top few picks in the draft -- Ray Lewis, Todd Heap, Ed Reed and Jimmy Smith are some notable examples -- which is another reason for them to feel good about moving back in this scenario."

Personally, I wouldn't hate this trade.

Dallas would give ya 16 instead of 17

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is my take. We didn't go after FA CBs because we plan to draft one early. No need to pay a FA when you like Cully & Brock when you plan on drafting a CB in the 1st and potentially top 15.

We will have to see, I just don't see it that way. Why no go after an established player instead of gambling on the possibility if getting your guy in the draft? Teams use FA to fill areas of need on their roster, although they use the draft for this too, the draft is also used to build your team for the future. This team if late has been more in the build for future mode than anything else, they loaded the roster with talented players who may not see the field for a year or so (Tank, Lattimer, etc.). Again, we will have to see what happens but I would be kind of surprised if they went CB first.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
All though I don't disagree with you very often, I have to strongly disagree with you here. The value is really in the 2nd round when it comes to WR's and there is a more significant drop off at CB. We have Brock and a bunch of unproven back ups. Moncrief, Matthews, Robinson, Bryant, Benjamin, Davante Adams, Richardson, Latimer, Coleman (who I really like), and Landry all have chances at being there in the 2nd and/or 3rd round. It's a very small drop off compared to the CB position. This is a copy cat league. NFL teams will want to do what the Seahawks did with Sherman, Thurmond, and Maxwell this year and what they did with Peyton. I expect a lot of CB's to come flying off the board in first couple of rounds.

The more you think about it this draft is *real* deep at WR, it's crazy deep. Just read an article about Latimer and that guy sounds like a beast too. I don't see a need to trade up for WR unless they are in love with Mike Evans and they really think he's a step above the rest. Just let a WR drop to us.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more you think about it this draft is *real* deep at WR, it's crazy deep. Just read an article about Latimer and that guy sounds like a beast too. I don't see a need to trade up for WR unless they are in love with Mike Evans and they really think he's a step above the rest. Just let a WR drop to us.

I wouldn't be happy for a trade up for Mike Evans. This is a deep draft however I do think the first round crew (Watkins, Evans, Beckham, Cooks) bring more value than any in a later round. The round 2 and later picks are solid players but I just don't see them being on this level